GVT with Squats?

A 10x10 program (approximately) consisting of squatting. Does this sound like a good idea? Let me rephrase that. Squatting is always a good idea. Any suggestions or feedback from anyone who has ever done this?

Stats:

Weight: 155-160
Height: 5’10
Squats (Regular) 3x8 185 lbs.

Alright, it hurts, a lot, I did 10x10 with squats once in my life and for about the next week I had one of the most deepest sore feelings ever.

Maybe it’s just me, but I squat ALOT and rarely get the soreness. Possibly it is the frequency I squat, I squat light 2-3 times a week and heavy once.

People say don’t squat alot, but it seems to work for me.

I did GVT and it takes about 5-6 days for the soreness to go away…just in time for the next training session!

I’d say go for it. You could use some size.

not sure if this will help but i did advanced GVT and my squat numbers went through the damn roof (for me atlest) going up from being able to do a set of 315 for 5, to being able to do 405 for 6 in just about 2 months, so im saying go for it man, what do you got to lose.

GVT is great. When I did it, I used front squats (which I wouldn’t recommend, felt like I was choking myself after rep 7 for every set after 2.)

But overall, fantastic program. If you eat 7-8 times a day and bust your ass, you could be up to 165 before you know it.

Thanks for all the replies. I’m glad to say that I went through with it. I’m sore, but I kinda like the feeling. Anyway, we’ll see how it works out.

I’ve done GVT squats before, and like everyone said, the pain is crazy. Standing up after the workout should be a challenge. Walking two days later? Forget about it.

If you’re like me, it takes a week or two to find out which weight I should be using so it’s not too easy, but yet I can get most of the 100 reps.

I’m actually thinking of trying 10x0 squats once I stagnate is Smolov, which I figure in the distant future. I think squatting 10x10 3x a week would be an interesting challenge.

And by 10x10, I don’t necessarily mean GVT.

i am not an expert on this, but when a program is made i think it is usualy built around the squat

i still like Hungarian oak blast for legs.
Gives you a gradual feel of the pain and builds you up slowly…

But if you’re the kind who is a lactate junkie and love to jump into the deep end of the pool, then it’s the perfect torture to sate your fetish lol.

I would get too bored with a program like this, thats just too many reps for what would be more of a painful cramp then a good workout for me.

I just read an article by Thib that taking squats to this level may not be optimal. You might get CNS burnout. Your CNS takes 5 or 6 times as long to recover.

I watched the Olympic trials as this dude tried to do the 400m trial 30 minutes after doing 400m hurdles. He couldn’t even finish the race. If an olympic athlete can’t recover in 30 minutes, from all the lactic acid and CNS crash, I’d imagine that GVT for squats might be too much for most.

IMHO, lifting shouldn’t mess up your life too. GVT seems to me to be for pros and such, who also don’t work at regular jobs. I have to be able to walk. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Standndeliver wrote:
I just read an article by Thib that taking squats to this level may not be optimal. You might get CNS burnout. Your CNS takes 5 or 6 times as long to recover.

I watched the Olympic trials as this dude tried to do the 400m trial 30 minutes after doing 400m hurdles. He couldn’t even finish the race. If an olympic athlete can’t recover in 30 minutes, from all the lactic acid and CNS crash, I’d imagine that GVT for squats might be too much for most.

IMHO, lifting shouldn’t mess up your life too. GVT seems to me to be for pros and such, who also don’t work at regular jobs. I have to be able to walk. :p[/quote]

That depends. If you go to failure, that would be a problem. Avoiding it throughout the workout should lessen the risk.

Elite Olympic athletes have the ability to recruit all available muscle instantaneously, and this fatigues them to a great level. The high school varsity player would have no problem doing both within 30 minutes.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
Standndeliver wrote:

IMHO, lifting shouldn’t mess up your life too. GVT seems to me to be for pros and such, who also don’t work at regular jobs. I have to be able to walk. :stuck_out_tongue:

That depends. If you go to failure, that would be a problem. Avoiding it throughout the workout should lessen the risk.

Elite Olympic athletes have the ability to recruit all available muscle instantaneously, and this fatigues them to a great level. The high school varsity player would have no problem doing both within 30 minutes.[/quote]

That makes good sense! Someone who could recruit every fiber would be at an advantage and be where they were, in the olympics. I stand corrected!