T Nation

GVT Split, Tempo

Hi there, I am about to start GVT and have a couple of questions. I was thinking of doing it as a pulling/pushing/legs split, something like:

pulling:
BB row 10x10
pulldown 10x10
biceps curls 3x10
BB shrugs 3x10

pushing
benchpress 10x10
military press 10x10
3x10 db flies
3x10 triceps (sth isolated)

legs
10x10 squats
10x10 romanian deadlift
3x15 calves
3x15 abs

or would it be better to stick with the original split (chest+back, legs+abs, arms+shoulders)? The problem with the latter one is that I'm afraid my arms would be still sore when training chest+back. And also, wouldn't it be better to train lets say back+biceps (the pulling day) rather than back+chest (the original routine)? (so only 1 major muscle group per training).

On the other hand, I tried the pushing routine and after doing 10x10 of benchpress, my shoulders were too weak, so I only used an empty bar.
And the last question, is it necessary to use the 4-0-2 tempo? I am used to lifting explosively, like some coaches recommend... what do you think?

GVT squats in-itself is pretty brutal, I think you'd be much better off going with just one movement to begin with for 10x10, then, possibly add in another. Once you've made progress with these 1-2 lifts using GVT (for about 1-2 months), drop back to more conventional rep/set ranges & try them out on another movement or two.

I hope you aren't attempting more advanced methods when more simple ones would do...

Yeah defo try that and tell me what it feels like when the bar comes crashing onto your head trying the 10x10 military press after a 10x10 on the bench.

well I used just the empty bar, so it was alright...
alexus: maybe simpler ones would do as well, but i would really want to give this one a try...

So... are you training to gain mass or for a sport? I know that those goals are usually both on the list but GVT was designed primarily with mass gain in mind with strength as a possible byproduct. If you want to be the best athlete possible than you want things like strength, flexibility and endurance to be the primary aim. Why not try a 5 x 5 program? Having said that it's not the end of the world if you do GVT but you should probably only do it for 4-6 weeks, and then switch to a much lower volume of training. It's a lot of sets and reps for an athlete who wants to conserve most of his energy for his sport.

From experience I can say that 10x10 squats is a great way to put some meat in your trunk.

I lift controlled on the way down (not any specific time, just don't drop it on the way down) and as fast as I can going up. I used to lift with 5 seconds down 5 seconds up but I ended up cheating on the counting and I find fast lifting more satisfying and fun.

Your program as others have said looks like overkill.

I tried the advanced gvt back in 2008 and I did split it up like this:

day1: legs.
squat: 10x5.
lunges: 5x5.
legcurl: 5x5.

day2: press.
benchpress: 10x5.
one arm mp: 5x5.
close grip bench: 5x5.

day3: pull.
chins: 10x5.
one arm row: 5x5.
bicep curl: 5x5.

It did work actually, but its better split out there made by people who know there shit, This is something I made by myself, but it could work as an example of how a push/pull/leg variation of gvt could be done.
I didnt try the 10x10 variaton like this, so I cant really say how that would work out on a split like this.

I am trying to gain mass..
well maybe I could do 10x10 of the first exercise and only 3-5 sets of 10 reps of the second one. this way it wouldnt be that much volume..
and so far, I have been doing mostly 5x5 routines, so this would be a nice change...
anyway, regarding strength, is there a way to maintain it? could I do lets say 1x5 of benchpress for strength and than 10x10?
thanks