T Nation

GVT quick question

I have searched for the answers but never really got the ones I am looking for. I am doing the original GVT (most people seemed to like it better than 2K) but am using TC’s split as some people liked that more. I am just wondering what I should use for exercises. I am using squats, dead lifts, benches and pull downs (can’t do 10X10 pull ups) but I don’t know what to use for triceps (no skull crushers Elbows hurt), biceps or shoulders. Also Charles says to do an additional 10 X 3 of another exercise for the body part you are training. So bench 10 X 10 then flys 10 X 3. How many of you do these extra 3 sets? Thanks Guys

biceps: chins
triceps: bench press or dips
shoulders: military or push press

I am just wondering what I should use for exercises. I am using squats, dead lifts, benches and pull downs (can’t do 10X10 pull ups)

Remember that the 10x10 is a theoretical goal. If you can’t do at least one set of 10 chinups… may I politely suggest that you build your strength more before you attempt to build mass?

but I don’t know what to use for triceps (no skull crushers Elbows hurt), biceps or shoulders. Also Charles says to do an additional 10 X 3 of another exercise for the body part you are training. So bench 10 X 10 then flys 10 X 3. How many of you do these extra 3 sets? Thanks Guys

For triceps, I do close-grip benches–hands about 14-18" apart.

Shoulders always call for overhead pressing when it comes to mass, IMHO, but you need to watch your overall pressing & tricep volume.

The extra 3x10 is up to you. I find that the extra effect is negligible.

Dan “Hope that helped” McVicker

Thanks guys, I will try the pullups as I can do sets of ten but not ten sets of ten (that would be sweet) And will try overhead presses and close grip bench or dips. I just thought for arms he wanted more isolated movements. This is going to be hell! quads yesterday killed me. One more thing, is it ok to do back/chest on different days and not get the supersets?