GVT Plan Critique

Front Squat is a tough exercise to do for more than 6 reps, due to the rhomboids giving out. At this point the weakest link is your back, and not your legs. Front Squat is an amazing exercise however.

How long have you been lifting for? If its over 3 years then I suggest using some sort of undulation. Using 10x10 for more than 2 weeks will result in stagnation. Keep in mind that you sould alwasy be changing the exercise. I’d suggest strength reps on day 1 then when you repeat that day go more with the hypertrophy reps. Also keep in mind the GVT program is ment to be used with the most compound exercises. ie split squats arent as complex as squats.

I’ve been doing GVT for around a month now, about to switch to OVT. From my experience it has produced a lot of muscle and fast. But the main thing id say about your routine is you may want to do a 5 day rotation and two exercises per workout. Just flat out 10x10 for chest and 10x10 for back in the same day. I tried what you did my first week and felt as if I wanted to do chest again by the 4th day. Try what you have though and see how you feel, recovery time all depends on the person.

If you think about it the original GVT is essentially timed.

the 4 second negative makes each set about 45-60s. with 30s break between pairings the 10x10 for 2 lifts end up being 60x20=20mins + break[10mins]=30mins of pure terror, max. and thats if you make all 10 sets, which you should not. So the 10x10 pairing takes less than 35 mins easy. The 2 accessories take about 20-35 mins max. therefore your training should not run longer than 70 mins unless you are pussing out on breaks.

The OG program is good and you should stick to it first then modify. Or if you MUST then do the OG program but wiht the accessories reduced. but there should be no need as the time commitment is pretty low compared to a full olympic lifting session for example, or a full gymnastics session.

Also dont front squat 10x10. I wouldnt DL 10x10 either unless you have a trap bar and straps.

-chris

Hey. Since this was a critique thread I thought I’d try my luck getting my version or “Idea” of and Gvt workout. I’ve been training for about 2 years and I think I have come up at ok strenght for my size, thought I’d give a try at gaining some sice next year. Anyways! here my Idea and feel free to comment, change neglect it or whatever! Don’t want to do something stupid in it that would only hurt me or my progress so!

Monday: Back&Bicep

Deadlift: 10x10
Chins: wide, medium. Pulls: Medium, close: (It’s all grip variation. gonna do 10sec rest between the grips & 3 min rest between sets, 3 sets total).
T-Bar Rows: 3x8
Inc Db bicepcurl: 2x8
Reversed Ez-bar curl: 2x12

Wednesday: Chest& Shoulders

Flat Bench: 10x10
Inc Bench: 2x8
Seated Db shoulderpress: 2x12
Front lateral cable raises: 2x8

Friday: Legs&Tricep
Leg press: 10x10
Leg curls: 3x8
Back narrow stance Squats: 2x5
Weighted dips: 3x12 (2 twitches bottom of each rep)
Dumbell tricep overheadextension: 2x10

I’m Btw almost 6feet, 178pounds. And I can’t fit in with more then 3 days split due to work/studies.
Cheers!