T Nation

GVT Diet Advice for Hypertrophy

I'm 6'0,96kg and 18% bfp

I'm spending sept-jan aiming for hypertrophy and strength gains by using Luoma's or Poliquin's GVT programme

what should my diet be?

Do I need to have a large calorie surplus?

I realise this is a very obvious question, but genuinely have no idea...

All suggestions welcome, thanks!

This may sound a little harsh but go to the nutrition section of poliquins website and read until you understand. What is your goal? Fatloss im assuming? FInd a protein goal, eat it or die trying, start using smart carbs at the right times, get good fats from good sources and start eating like you give a shit, meaning, dont eat crap foods. Try and look up information on his bootcamp dieting. Calorie surplus? ANd youre overweight? Doesnt make sense. Get big or get lean but get moving.

sorry, I may have phrased that badly. I want to gain mass using GVT, I just amn’t sure what diet to follow.

I am unsure what calorific requirements are needed to gain muscle while on the programme.

any ideas?

[quote]gearoidfallon wrote:
sorry, I may have phrased that badly. I want to gain mass using GVT, I just amn’t sure what diet to follow.

I am unsure what calorific requirements are needed to gain muscle while on the programme.

any ideas?[/quote]

no program… no matter how awesome… can dictate what your caloric requirements need to be in a state of lean body-mass gain. That’s a function of your metabolism.

So, figure out how much energy you have to eat to maintain your current body-weight, then go ahead and “add by addition”, and add 300 calories to that number, and hit those numbers by eating a healthy, well balanced, smart and comfortable diet.

Your body will gain muscle, and your body will lose fat over a safe period of time.

I’m 6’0,96kg and 18% bfp
[/quote]

Also, that is not a high number. Of course, high, in this case, is a subjective number.

18% is a little more than you need probably, but shit if you drink a lot I could see that. No harm really, it’s pretty easy to drop from 20% down to 12%-14, or at least for me.

Try to lean out in the weeks beforehand. This is What Dan John recommends and it works; you get a nice rebound from it.

That being said… I think a 6’ 210lbs 19%bf bloke should lean out until he can see his abs before thinking about more hypertrophy. But that’s just me; I’d rather be lean than hyooge with a gut.

“Train for strength; eat for size”

If you want to lose fat, eat a caloric deficit. If you want to gain muscle, eat a caloric surplus. What is a “deficit” or “surplus” for you personally? Good question, you have July and August to figure it out. WEDYEY? (What exactly did you eat yesterday)? Start eating clean. Put yourself on a diet (the purpose of your diet need not be fat loss, you could try to put yourself on a “maintenance” diet or a “+.5kg/week” diet). But you need to learn what food does specifically to YOUR body. It’ll be a bit different for everyone. If you already have a diet plan, post it here and people will help.

By the way, are you REALLY 18%? or are you 25% but THINK you are 18%? Most new (and intermediate!) people underestimate how much fat they have. That said, at your height and weight that does sound about right.

What do your weights look like?

I am unsure what calorific requirements are needed to gain muscle while on the programme.[/quote]
Enough to make the scale move up each week, no so much to build tons of fat with minimal strength or muscle. The details depend on a few factors, like Claudan said.

These should give you a basic idea of how to lay things out:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Try to lean out in the weeks beforehand. This is What Dan John recommends and it works; you get a nice rebound from it.[/quote]
Really, this isn’t the worst idea in the world. Not sure how you’re training now, but if you plan on starting the bulk in September, even a 6-week cut now could get you in a better position to build on and minimize the chances of extra fat gain.