Guy's Training Log

sup just keeping a training log to check progress. Here is my training philosophy/program:

Chest/Back
Bench Press,Chest-Supported Row
Decline BP, Chin UPs
Incline BP, Two-Arm Long Bar Row
Dumbell Press, Behind Neck Lat Pulldown
Cable Flys, 1 arm rows

Arms
Skullcrushers, Preacher Curls
Close Grip Board Press,Concen. Curl
Rope Pressdown, Close-Grip Chins

Legs/Shoulders
Squats, Shrugs
One-legged press, Front Raises
SLDL, Side Raises
Calve Raises, Bent-over raises

Basically this is how i keep track of things. One set per exercise, to failure. Exercises are paired as supersets. For two weeks i try to keep my rep range between 4 and 10 reps, then for two weeks my range is in the 12-18 rep range.

If i reach the upper limit of reps, i will raise the weight by ten or fifteen pounds to get to the bottom rep range. I do this for about four weeks, then back off for about a week without work, then restart it. I know, I know about the CNS and all that but the volume is very low and I have never had problems where i have come even close to overreaching.

Im a teenager, eat well, and sleep well(well weekends don’t count cuz…well you know.) so i figure i can recover very well. If I notice problems i will take note of them and change my program.

Day 1 1/31/07

Chest and Back

Bench Press (135 pounds,11 reps)(+15pd)
Chest Supported Rows (90 pds,7r)

Decline BP (135 pd,11r)(+15pd)
Chin UPs (bdywght, 9r)

Incline BP (115 pd,6r)
(felt weird, never really used incline bench press so had to adjust to angle)
Bent Over Two-arm Long Bar Row
(90pds,15 reps)(+25 pds)
www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?MainMuscle=Middle+Back

the above link is for the barbell row is used.

Dumbell Press(45’s, 11r)(+10 pds)
Behind Neck Pulldown(120, 8r)

Cable Flys (40 pds, 7r)
One Arm Db Rows (50’s,15r)(+ 15 pds)

Notes: NIce first day. I broke a good sweat and actually felt nauseated by the BOOALB row superset. Rest periods aren’t long, just as long for me and my partner to do our sets, rack the weights, and get to the next exercise.

Day 2 2/2/07
ARms
Notes: Long Story short: couldn’t get to the gym so i worked out at home on very limited equipment.

Barbell Curls (60 pds,11 reps)(+15 pds)
Decline Skull crusher (60p, 12 r)(+15 pd)

Close Grip BB Curls (60pd,11r)(+15 pds)
Decline Close Grip SkullCrsh (60p,10r)(+15 pds)

Palm Down BB curls (40pds,13r)(+20 pds)
Close Grip Pushups (bdwght, 30r)

Homemade PReacher Curls One Hand (25p,11r)(+10pd)
Note: used an incline bench, put my chest against the front, hung my arm over, and curled.
Behind Neck Tri Ext BB(60pd,8r)

It was cold outside and my small weight set is outside, but i warmed up eventually. For some reason workouts like this with limited weights and equipment leaves me more satisfied than a good day at the gym.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
sup just keeping a training log to check progress. Here is my training philosophy/program:

Chest/Back
Bench Press,Chest-Supported Row
Decline BP, Chin UPs
Incline BP, Two-Arm Long Bar Row
Dumbell Press, Behind Neck Lat Pulldown
Cable Flys, 1 arm rows

Arms
Skullcrushers, Preacher Curls
Close Grip Board Press,Concen. Curl
Rope Pressdown, Close-Grip Chins

Legs/Shoulders
Squats, Shrugs
One-legged press, Front Raises
SLDL, Side Raises
Calve Raises, Bent-over raises

Basically this is how i keep track of things. One set per exercise, to failure. Exercises are paired as supersets. For two weeks i try to keep my rep range between 4 and 10 reps, then for two weeks my range is in the 12-18 rep range.

If i reach the upper limit of reps, i will raise the weight by ten or fifteen pounds to get to the bottom rep range. I do this for about four weeks, then back off for about a week without work, then restart it. I know, I know about the CNS and all that but the volume is very low and I have never had problems where i have come even close to overreaching.

Im a teenager, eat well, and sleep well(well weekends don’t count cuz…well you know.) so i figure i can recover very well. If I notice problems i will take note of them and change my program.

Day 1 1/31/07

Chest and Back

Bench Press (135 pounds,11 reps)(+15pd)
Chest Supported Rows (90 pds,7r)

Decline BP (135 pd,11r)(+15pd)
Chin UPs (bdywght, 9r)

Incline BP (115 pd,6r)
(felt weird, never really used incline bench press so had to adjust to angle)
Bent Over Two-arm Long Bar Row
(90pds,15 reps)(+25 pds)
www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?MainMuscle=Middle+Back

the above link is for the barbell row is used.

Dumbell Press(45’s, 11r)(+10 pds)
Behind Neck Pulldown(120, 8r)

Cable Flys (40 pds, 7r)
One Arm Db Rows (50’s,15r)(+ 15 pds)

Notes: NIce first day. I broke a good sweat and actually felt nauseated by the BOOALB row superset. Rest periods aren’t long, just as long for me and my partner to do our sets, rack the weights, and get to the next exercise.

Day 2 2/2/07
ARms
Notes: Long Story short: couldn’t get to the gym so i worked out at home on very limited equipment.

Barbell Curls (60 pds,11 reps)(+15 pds)
Decline Skull crusher (60p, 12 r)(+15 pd)

Close Grip BB Curls (60pd,11r)(+15 pds)
Decline Close Grip SkullCrsh (60p,10r)(+15 pds)

Palm Down BB curls (40pds,13r)(+20 pds)
Close Grip Pushups (bdwght, 30r)

Homemade PReacher Curls One Hand (25p,11r)(+10pd)
Note: used an incline bench, put my chest against the front, hung my arm over, and curled.
Behind Neck Tri Ext BB(60pd,8r)

It was cold outside and my small weight set is outside, but i warmed up eventually. For some reason workouts like this with limited weights and equipment leaves me more satisfied than a good day at the gym.
-------------------------[/quote]

Also im going to do The Bear On Leg and Shoulder day, probably at the end of the workout.

Well i only got seven more working days at my gym and i don’t wanna pay up for another month for a while so im going to start working out at the little weight center i have at home. It is going to take some major modifications in order to get good workouts since the weight is so little that i can’t do any of the big three with more than 70% of my 1RM on bench and even less for deadlift and squat.
So anyway i’m getting into a last minute blitz here so im doing a mix of rest pause training and HIT. One set of rest-pause is based on a style i saw in an article about Mentzer. Basically four reps is one set, with the last two reps performed with slightly lower weight. After two sets of this(8reps) I will then have an isolation type exercise of one set to failure preferably in a higher rep range.

Upper
Bench Press (165-2r,145-2r)(2sets)
Pec Deck (90-8r)

Sumo Deadlift (225-4r)(2sets)
One-side Barbell Rows (90-20r)

Preacher Curls (65-2r,55-24)(2sets)
One-arm DB Preachercurls (20-6r(r)-8r(l)

Machine Dips (100-4r)(2sets)
Rope Pulldowns (50-9r)

Military Press (90-4r)(2sets)
Heavy Dumbell Holds (70pd-failure)(2set)

I really want to try to increase the original weight in the rest-pause sets by at least five pounds every time. The split is going to be Monday-Upper, Tuesday-Lower, Thursday-Upper, Friday-Lower.

Lower Body
Squats (225-4r)(225-2r,205-2r)
Leg Curls (80-3sets-8ish reps)
Hack Squats (50-2sets-10r)
Calve Raises (110-3sets-10r)

Stopped posting here for a while but im going to redo it. Mykakyl has got me thinking with his program and i am tired of it. I am going to try it for myself in order to get this shit out of the way once and for all. I’m going to modify it though.

What I will keep the same is the fact that I will use the basically same exercise each time and the same weight. The differences will be that I will ween myself into this kind of high frequency. The closest I have gotten to this is twice a week upper lower split. The first week it will be four days a week, second time around five days a week, third time around six days a week.Then I will take a complete week off from training. Then I will up the poundage and restart the frequency.

Each day I will change up the exercise a little. For instance, standard BP, then a wider grip, then a close grip, etc. It will mostly be grip changes you know pronations, supenations, and such. And I will lower the volume on the military press to four sets because this is where i start getting diminishing returns.

I will use single legged squats, and good mornings instead of squats and deadlifts due to lack of weight.

First day on Mykakyl’s thing.

Wide-Grip Bench Press
115x6
Machine Barbell Rows(close-grip,supinated grip)
70x6
Machine Military Press
80x4
DB Tricep Press(single DB, to chest lying down)
50x2

What struck me was the low amount of weight that i needed to use in order to complete all six sets with a minute rest. The numbers posted were actually what I used after a couple of sets when i realized I could not finish all sets.

My pump from this lasted for about thirty minutes and it was a pretty hard one too. I only added direct tri work because of how wide I was doing the BP and Military Press I don’t think they really got hit in contrast to my biceps with the supinated grip. I will probably do this every day, and maybe add one set for biceps.

Well that was the first day and it wasn’t too tough. We’ll see where this takes me. I will take measurements on March 12 to chart progress.

Did a contrast shower afterward in order to try to stave off any soreness possible.

Finished modifications on the program, back sets are up to eight, and military press sets are down to three. Got rid of machines and going totally free weights.
I noticed soreness in chest and fatigue in back. No more direct arm work.

Just realized that if i don’t use the frequency that is stated in Mykakyl’s shit that I could always fall back on it as a crutch to why it didn’t work. I wanna get it straight so I’m going to go six days a week. Will only be able to do five days this week because i will be out of town on Saturday but it is good enough.

Day 2
Wide-Grip Bench Press
115x6
Barbell Rows(wide grip, supinated palms)
100x8
Military Press(wide grip)
70x3
Holds with weight(forearms)
20 poundsx2

Switching over to TBT workout. I know the work volume is high but i have discovered that I have a high workload capacity. Looking myself in the mirror last night, I evaluated myself. I used to make good and steady gains pre-T-Nation and now after joining it my gains have stagnated. Not that the website is bad, I love it, but once i read all the “you’re overtraining” articles i jumped into the bandwagon and lowered my workout volume. It hasn’t been the same. So i’m upping volume again to get back to the gains I used to make, I should be able to do much better thanks to all my new knowledge from T-Nation.

Also, because of mykakyl’s program, i think my work load capacity went up because I was not sore today despite having three days in a row of upper body. I couldn’t stand not doing legs so long so I said screw it.

TBT Three times a week
Wide-Grip Bench Press
10x5 120 pounds (add 5 pounds)
Power Clean
10x5 100 pounds (add 5 pounds)
Power Press
5x5 90 pounds
(Snatch 5x5 )
Squats
2x20 135 pounds (add five reps each set)
Leg Curls
5x5 45 pounds
Barbell Curls
2xFailure 60 pounds
Skullcrushers
2xFailure 60 pounds

I think in order to even out the push pull I should add a Snatch after the Push Press, but I don’t know. This workout was already an hour and a half long but we’ll see.

Did Chest and Arms on sunday because a friend wanted me to workout with him. he is one of those chest and curl workout guys so…I also did five sets of power cleans on that day, so ill cut volume in half for that.

Today 2/19/07
Power Clean 110pounds 5x5

Power Press 90pounds 5x5

Snatch 100pounds 5x5

Squats 135pounds 2x20

Leg Curls 50pounds 5x5

Weight Holds 20pounds 2xFailure

Alright I gotta switch up my program. Judging by the first day i thought i would be able to handle all the work in one day but today i just couldn’t make it to the squats. I saw it and i just said “screw that”. also i need to change exercise selection.

this is going to be next workout
Bench Press 10x5 130 pounds
Snatch 10x5 80 pounds
Push Press 5x5 95 pounds
Power Clean 4x5 110 pounds
Weight Grip Holds 2xFailure 20 poudns
HIIT style Pushup-Jump-Pullup 4x10

Let’s see if I can’t handle this lower workload.

Next workout
10x5 130 pounds Bench Press
10x5 70 pounds Power Snatch
(There is definitely a learning curve with this snatch. with 60 pounds the weight actually felt lighter on the last reps as compared to the first.)
(At this point in the workout i take a five minute intermission where i go and drink a protein+carb shake.)

5x5 Push Press 95 pounds
4x5 Power Clean 115 pounds
2xFailure Weight Grip Holds 20 pounds
1x8 Push-up/Jump/Pullup
(I am so winded from all the Olympic exercises that I am just too tired at the end of the workout to do these very much. I will just add a rep every workout. )

Loved today. It was great and i was panting and sweating at the end.

I added an active recovery session.

Circuit:
Overhead Squats
Cleans 2x10 all
Bench Press

Today
5x10 Bench Press 110 pounds
5x10 Snatch 60 pounds
(Five minute intermission)
5x5 Push Press 97.5 pounds
5x5 Power Clean 120 pounds
2xFailure Weight Grip Holds

Wow today was exhausting. I love this idea with switching out the rep schemes on the two main exercises. Not only is it supposed to keep the nervous system fresh and all that, but man do the high rep snatches get you huffing and puffing. IT turns out that in my mind-numbed state(by the time i got to the power cleans i was just on that,“one more rep” mindset) I accidentally did an extra set of power cleans. No wonder that last set was so F#$$ing hard!

I said screw the slight conditioning pushup/jump/pullup thing i do at the end of a workout b/c the snatches and power cleans left me panting.It is tiring to hold up my arms to type this. F#$%ing Sh#t do i love this workout!

Mods for the next workout will be
Bench Press 10x5 135 pounds
Snatch 10x5 80 pounds
Push Press 5x5 100 pounds
Power Clean 4x5 122.5 pounds
Weight Grip Holds 2xFailure 20 pounds
Push-up/jump/pullup 1x8

Today was a crappy workout day. I don’t know if it was because i work out outside, and it was cold today and i didn’t really warm up properly but my workout was crap.

Bench Press 135x31 reps

Snatch 80 10x5

Push Press 100 3x5

and that’s it. Next workout I’m going to use the same weights and see if i can finish it off, but i will raise the Snatch five pounds.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
Today was a crappy workout day. I don’t know if it was because i work out outside, and it was cold today and i didn’t really warm up properly but my workout was crap.[/quote]

I hear ya on that. I had to snip a workout short earlier this week because my fingers were going numb (training in a garage, at the tail end of a crazy NY winter.)

Better luck on your next one though. It’s cool that you’re hitting the Oly lifts with seriousness. Have you worked them before? I didn’t see that mentioned in your previous posts.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
That One Guy wrote:
Today was a crappy workout day. I don’t know if it was because i work out outside, and it was cold today and i didn’t really warm up properly but my workout was crap.

I hear ya on that. I had to snip a workout short earlier this week because my fingers were going numb (training in a garage, at the tail end of a crazy NY winter.)

Better luck on your next one though. It’s cool that you’re hitting the Oly lifts with seriousness. Have you worked them before? I didn’t see that mentioned in your previous posts.[/quote]

no i hadn’t now i love em

Yesterday
Incline BP 130 10x3
Snatch 90 10x3

Just posting up a new split, i’m going to be going back to a gym again instead of working out at home by friday so i have more choices for exercises and thus i am starting a new split.
Push, Pull, Lower Split
consisting of one mass builder per
muscle along with one or several
isolation exercises.

On rep progression i will go along with varying set/rep schemes as long as i get progression (5x5, then 7x4,3x10,8x4,etc.
The only rule is that if a previous workout i do high reps, next one will be low reps (3x10, then 8x4) weight stays the same.

Pull
Back
Weighted Pullups 5x4 (rep pro)
Good Mornings 3x7(WP)
DB Rows 2x8(WP)
Traps
DB Shrugs 3x6 (rep pro)
Biceps
Close Grip Chins 2x8 (rep pro)
Cable Curls 2x10(WP)

Push
Chest 7sets
Bench Press 4x4 (weight progress)
Incline DB Flyes 2x8 (Wght pro)
Cable Flyes 1x8 (Wght pro)
Delts 6sets (lagging body part)
Military Press 2x5(WP)
DB Side Raises 2x10(WP)
Front Raises 1x10(WP)
Face Pulls 1x10(WP)
Triceps
Weighted Dips 3x4 (rep progress)
Tricep Pulldown (2x8)(WP)

Legs
Quads
Squats 4x15(WP)
Hack Squats 4x8(WP)
Hams
RLDL 4x10(WP)
Leg Curls 4x8(WP)
Calves
Standing Calve Raises 4x20(WP)

Note: Before you remark on the incredible volume on legs, this is one of my beliefs that i want to try out, that legs do respond best to higher volume training. Now while i will be cycling this split so i do it twice a week, every other leg day, i will lower the volume significantly by just performing a workout like below:

Squats w/bodyweight on barxFailure, 1set
RLDL w/1.5 bdwght on barxFailure, 1 set
Standing Calve Raises w/.5 bwxFailure 1s

For golf it helps to have good anaerobic endurance, b/c of the many instances of the legs firing at full speed over the course of a round. So i’m hoping this above will do some good towards that.

That is just about my whole routine, i’m just writing it down to keep track of it , b4 i lose the paper i wrote this down on. Any criticisms or questions are encouraged.