T Nation

Guy in the Gym Rarely Trains Back

I’m kinda confused. I see this guy that works out in the same gym as me. His main purpose when he goes in there is to bench. Which is fine. He’s not bad at it. But I rarely see him work his back, and yet his lats, traps, and other back muscles are huge. Anyone know why, besides just calling genetics on this?

I’m there on his “back” days. He mostly does deadlifts, some T-bar rows, and some isolation stuff with not a lot of weight, at least compared to what he benches.

Looks to me like the basic, simple, yet effective back workout. Why does it come as a surprise that he has a big back? It might seem like he’s not using a lot of weight, but it must be enough for him to grow.

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
I’m kinda confused. I see this guy that works out in the same gym as me. His main purpose when he goes in there is to bench. Which is fine. He’s not bad at it. But I rarely see him work his back, and yet his lats, traps, and other back muscles are huge. Anyone know why, besides just calling genetics on this?

I’m there on his “back” days. He mostly does deadlifts, some T-bar rows, and some isolation stuff with not a lot of weight, at least compared to what he benches.[/quote]

So you are at the gym every single time he is? Can you be sure he doesn’t do other stuff at different times (or at home?)

I’m sure he would be a better person to ask about this than us.

ROIDS obviously, he just injects his back and it grows huge. Also genetics, his back gets huge from just eating.

maybe he is benching to catch up with his back… maybe he only used to do back?

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
I’m there on his “back” days. He mostly does deadlifts, some T-bar rows, and some isolation stuff with not a lot of weight, at least compared to what he benches.[/quote]

Sound like you answered your own question. Not sure what your confusion is or why you’re stalking this guy during his workouts

I’ve got a crazy idea: ask him?

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:

So he does Rows, Deads and some extra stuff for his back but he doesn’t train back?

[quote]shizen wrote:
ROIDS obviously, he just injects his back and it grows huge. Also genetics, his back gets huge from just eating. [/quote]

+1

look for crazy stretch marks and needlehole scars.

He is a lizard-man shape-shifter. Obviously.

[quote]Tmmmey wrote:
I’ve got a crazy idea: ask him?[/quote]

Yeah I agree lol.

But if you want conspiracy theories… I would chalk it up as a bodypart that he is more gifted in than say his chest which he must train more intensely to catch up/keep up.

[quote]Scott M wrote:
Tmmmey wrote:

Yeah I agree lol.

But if you want conspiracy theories… I would chalk it up as a bodypart that he is more gifted in than say his chest which he must train more intensely to catch up/keep up. [/quote]

This is true. I don’t have to do much to have a big back. I can pick up really heavy shit, but can’t do 10 pull ups. I have never really needed to.

But my chest sucks gerbil titties.

I think everyone has certain body parts that develop at a faster pace than others.

Sorry for not checking this yesterday. Yes I have spoken to him. He doesnt do anything else besides that one back day. Yes, I guess maybe he doesn’t need to do anymore than that to grow, apparently.

And to clear up my remarks about “not training back”, I meant he simply just doesnt put effort into it like when I see him bench.

And no, I’m not stalking him…I’ve occasionally worked in with him.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Scott M wrote:
Tmmmey wrote:

Yeah I agree lol.

But if you want conspiracy theories… I would chalk it up as a bodypart that he is more gifted in than say his chest which he must train more intensely to catch up/keep up.

This is true. I don’t have to do much to have a big back. I can pick up really heavy shit, but can’t do 10 pull ups. I have never really needed to.

But my chest sucks gerbil titties.

I think everyone has certain body parts that develop at a faster pace than others. [/quote]

Yeah I agree with ya.

I guess my whole intent on posting this was to see if somehow doing all that heavy benching could lead to a bigger back. I know I’ve read that benching does incorporate some back muscles, just wasn’t sure if it could help with actual back development or if it’s more for working muscles to help stabilize the weight.

I would have asked this guy his thoughts, but to be honest he really doesn’t know alot about lifting. He’s just one of those guys who has done it for a while and doesn’t get into the “science” of it. Apparently it’s worked for him.

Some people have an easier time building some muscles. Sounds like his back builds easily. My brother had calves the size of small cantaloupes and he never worked out-ever. Lifters used to ask him what he did to build them.

This guy your speaking of may just have good genetics (not saying he doesn’t work hard).

God gives, God takes away - are you comparing yourself to him in any way or are you envious? Maybe you have body part development he is jealous or in admiration of… Just do your thing.

Whoever he is lucky him in the genetics lottery when it comes to freaky back development :stuck_out_tongue: