T Nation

Guy Benching 405

There was this guy at my gym last night, bench pressing 405 lbs, for 3 reps. His reps looked pretty clean, but I noticed something: he was wearing these huge brace/wraps around his elbows that extended from above his elbow to covering his elbow and then down his forearm.

Would that arm-band help him make that lift? The guy was pretty damn big and thick (also a little fat), and I don’t want to make it sound like I’m some jealous little weakling, but I’m honestly wondering if the arm support may have given him a bit of extra leverage on that weight?

It was impressive regardless, but I can’t help but wonder if he would have been able to make that lift without those arm band/wraps.

He also had a Cellucor t-shirt on.

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
There was this guy at my gym last night, bench pressing 405 lbs, for 3 reps. His reps looked pretty clean, but I noticed something: he was wearing these huge brace/wraps around his elbows that extended from above his elbow to covering his elbow and then down his forearm.

Would that arm-band help him make that lift? The guy was pretty damn big and thick (also a little fat), and I don’t want to make it sound like I’m some jealous little weakling, but I’m honestly wondering if the arm support may have given him a bit of extra leverage on that weight?

It was impressive regardless, but I can’t help but wonder if he would have been able to make that lift without those arm band/wraps.

He also had a Cellucor t-shirt on.

[/quote]

of course it helped him on the lift. It’s the same as when you wrap your knees during the squat. it will give you more support the more the joint is bent.
I have a pair of Inzer elbow sleeves that I wear for ME attempts. Unfortunately what I see is people wearing them for the entire workout. they will become a crutch like belts, wrist wraps and knee wraps. they should only be used on the heaviest of sets.

meat

If it is wrapped very tight it would help, but if it is loose and just used to keep the joint warm and loose i doubt it would do anything.

Oh great, another jelous skinny kid. Not only did you call out his strength, and question his abilities(“pretty clean”), but you called him fat.

AND THEN to top it all off, you logged onto an internet forum to check and see if he’s really stronger than you…

If you’re talking about some kind of wrap then it could help add a few pounds. Probably though these were neoprene elbow sleeves. They keep your elbows warm and help protect them but they don’t provide any real assistance in the lift. That guy could take them off and still hit his 405s.

I’m not that strong, but I wear neoprene elbow sleeves during every workout. They are tight, keep me nice and warm, and offer no “pop” to my lifts. It just keeps my joints and tendons warm and healthy. I don’t and can’t wear them during PL meet.

Inzer and some others do make a more supportive sleeve that can offer a little help, but it certainly isn’t adding 50-100 lbs if that’s the question.

[quote]Roy wrote:
Oh great, another jelous skinny kid. Not only did you call out his strength, and question his abilities(“pretty clean”), but you called him fat.

AND THEN to top it all off, you logged onto an internet forum to check and see if he’s really stronger than you…[/quote]

You’re twisting his words around. You should be a news journalist.

As was said above, if they went all the way down to his wrist, then they could be elbow sleeves, and he would be getting some benefit, but certainly not like wearing a bench shirt.

If they if only went about 1/3 of the way down his forearm, then they were probably neoprene sleeves just to keep the joints warm, and there would be little benefit to his strength.

Either way, he is pretty strong, and if you think he is juicing then go up and accuse him of it and see how he reacts.

Don’t worry about everyone else in your gym, just worry about your own progress and everything else will sort itself out.

[quote]Scott aka Rice wrote:
Roy wrote:
Oh great, another jelous skinny kid. Not only did you call out his strength, and question his abilities(“pretty clean”), but you called him fat.

AND THEN to top it all off, you logged onto an internet forum to check and see if he’s really stronger than you…

You’re twisting his words around. You should be a news journalist.
[/quote]
I don’t really care to get into a fight. I was just curious if those things aided this guy’s lift. Everything else I described was just, well, accurate.

That guy benches 405. I bench 225 max. I know my place and it aint above him on the “benching chain,” so don’t worry! haha