Guy Almost Shoots Himself

A guy was shooting a .50 Cal and the ricochet nearly kills him:

http://shock.military.com/Shock/videos.do?displayContent=141381&page=2&ESRC=airforce-a.nl

Always wear protection people.

Wonder what it ricocheted off of?

:slight_smile:

[quote]Xylene wrote:

:slight_smile: [/quote]

I think one of them said it was iron. I thought I heard “No more irons today.”

[quote]Xylene wrote:
[/quote]
Hit him in the hearing protector. Probably not what they were thinking when they designed it.

A ricochet from a .45 hit me in my shooting hand. The copper gave me a gash on my knuckles, it then ricocheted off me and hit my buddy in the nuts. Surprised him, but no blood.

If it hit me in the eye without protection, I’d have lost the eye.

[quote]Loose Tool wrote:
Xylene wrote:

Hit him in the hearing protector. Probably not what they were thinking when they designed it.[/quote]

I know, but it’s still protected him from getting a hole in his ear or having a nice part of it ripped out.:smiley:

[quote]BigRagoo wrote:
Xylene wrote:

I think one of them said it was iron. I thought I heard “No more irons today.”[/quote]

Maybe a silhouette target or a gong.

.50 packs a lot of energy. That could have turned out much worse.

Why not a mound of dirt? Or would it blow through that?

Whenever we fired .50 cals for practice it was at a plywood target or at old vehicles out on the range.

Wol, I’ve never heard of a bullet ricocheting off of dirt mounds - they embed. Hence the reason they use dirt mounds as backdrops at firing ranges.

DB

I think Wol meant why not just shoot at a dirt mound, but i’m not positive.

[quote]JokerFMJ wrote:
I think Wol meant why not just shoot at a dirt mound, but i’m not positive.[/quote]

That would make more sense. In that case, the only kinetic round in use today that would have a problem with blowing through a mound of dirt with any appreciable speed is a sabot round - nasty things those.

DB

This is .50 BMG vs Computer.

Know your target and what’s behind it. I’m thinking the guys in the OP’s video were shooting at plate steel to see what would happen.

WOW. Definately could have been alot worse. Sounds like it hit something metal. Lucky it hits the ground just in front of him and then bounces up. At least it got rid of a little energy first.

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
JokerFMJ wrote:
I think Wol meant why not just shoot at a dirt mound, but i’m not positive.

That would make more sense. In that case, the only kinetic round in use today that would have a problem with blowing through a mound of dirt with any appreciable speed is a sabot round - nasty things those.

DB[/quote]

Yeah, I meant a mound of dirt. Thanks for backing me up, Joker.