T Nation

GUTS By Chuck Palahniuk

I asked my friend, who’s serving in Iraq, about the middle eastern masturbation thing. He says it’s absolutley true. Sick, just sick. The male lower body holes are designed for output only. When will people learn?

damn, between these stories and the pic of the guy who crapped out his intestines while squating at a powerlifting meet, i had enough today.

wow that is some gross stuff.

[quote]JNG wrote:
wow.

He’s quite the author. I’m in the middle of Choke… he’s got one fucked up view of the world.[/quote]

Ive read Choke, the ending is so twisted. I’m reading lulaby right now, i’m about 30 pages from the end.

La’
Redsol1

I haven’t read any of his work yet (other than what was posted here). I plan to, however, it looks pretty good.

I would say though that that really wasn’t very hard to read. Honestly, read American Psycho or Glamorama (specifically the torture scene) by the godlike Bret Easton Ellis. Rats up the vagina, anus electrocution, death by castration good family fun.


JMB

Thanks JMB I’m gonna check those out.

If you like his work, check out Invisible Monsters; funky read. Im in the middle of reading Choke, but so far, its bored me to tears. I’ll probably read Lullaby next.

[quote]AllBizNiz wrote:
If you like his work, check out Invisible Monsters; funky read. Im in the middle of reading Choke, but so far, its bored me to tears. I’ll probably read Lullaby next. [/quote]

Just finished Lullaby. It’s even farther out than Choke. Palahniuk has this ability to weave a single thread of the supernatural into an otherwise normal storyline and make it believable. Lullaby isn’t exactly like that. The thread turns into a rope, but you just can’t let go.

la’
Redsol1

thats a hell of a review red sol lol nice analogy

I hadnt read the story in the begining of this topic until just now. Holy shit, that was awesome. That was so well written, its sickening. Im gonna have to google for some of his other short stories. BTW, to those of you doubting the validity of that story, dont. This guy really does his research and his writing reflects it. Im gonna try and finish Choke tonight and go buy Lullaby.

Great story. If you’re looking for more, Palahniuk is releasing a collection of short stories in May called “Haunted”. Playboy also published one of his stories called “Punch Drunk”; haven’t been able to find it on the internet yet, d’oh.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
thats a hell of a review red sol lol nice analogy[/quote]

Thanks Xen. I’m turning into a big Palahniuk fan. The only thing that’s a bit annoying is that most people don’t know who he is untill you say “Fight Club” and it takes ten minuts to explain “No it was a book first”

La’
Redsol1

Wait a second, after the kid jacks off in the pool, wouldn’t the chlorine kill the sperm cells? That part seems the most messed up.

That story is just fucked up though, I’m probably not gonna have an appetite for the rest of the day.

wow. unbelievable.

If you’re planning on reading his books, you must read Lullabye, easily his best. It has much more profound things to say than his other works, and it’s much less amateurish- if you’ve read chuck, you know what I’m talking about.

I read that one half way through, but its just so sick I couldn’t go on any longer. But, being wise and learning from other’s mistakes, I can say that I will never beat off while choking myself, ever again.

[quote]JMB wrote:
I haven’t read any of his work yet (other than what was posted here). I plan to, however, it looks pretty good.

I would say though that that really wasn’t very hard to read. Honestly, read American Psycho or Glamorama (specifically the torture scene) by the godlike Bret Easton Ellis. Rats up the vagina, anus electrocution, death by castration good family fun.


JMB[/quote]

Bret Easton Ellis and Chuck P. are actually very similar in thier writting. I like both and have read all but Diary by Chuck P. They both seem to focus on the excesses of society and how the drive for, or innundation of, “success” just twists and perverts morality. Very good reads.

If you like twisted reading try Irvine Welsh, he wrote Trainspotting, He books are wicked twisted and funny but you have to learn to read how he writes. The words are sometimes spelled the way they sound in a Scottish Dialect. Good Good stuff all around, I just love great books.

[quote]Heowww wrote:
I read that one half way through, but its just so sick I couldn’t go on any longer. But, being wise and learning from other’s mistakes, I can say that I will never beat off while choking myself, ever again.[/quote]

LMAO

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
If you’re planning on reading his books, you must read Lullabye, easily his best. It has much more profound things to say than his other works, and it’s much less amateurish- if you’ve read chuck, you know what I’m talking about.[/quote]

I acually liked Survivor the best.

All of his books are worth the read although Fight Club, Invisible Monsters, Choke and Survivor are my favorite.

I have an autographed copy of Invisble Monsters…

Also, check out Haunted and his short story collection of non-fiction: Stranger than Fiction.

He has a story about steroids and bodybuilding.

-nate

[quote]wtagye wrote:

I acually liked Survivor the best.[/quote]

Me too.
Even better than Fight Club.
Personally, I liked the movie better than the book, which is a very rare thing.

They would have made a movie out of Survivor as well, but unfortunately it came out during 9/11, and because of the plane crash it was forbidden … haven’t heard much about it since.