Gut Health Thread

[quote]CapnYousef wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]Alex Stoddard wrote:
L - Glutamine

Poliquin & Berardi both recommend high dose glutamine for gut repair, and I was just watching a show about Celiac Disease in which the 2 Naturopaths highly recommended glutamine for repairing the gut (obviously, second to avoiding gluten/wheat).

[/quote]

I’ve been reading up on Glutamine as a supplement and it sounds amazing. I used to get it through shakes, but since I don’t utilize those anymore, I think adding Glutamine in looks like a smart move.

How many people here supplement with Glutamine? How do you do it and what have you thought?[/quote]

A close member of my family has unfortunately fallen ill with leaky gut syndrome and glutamine a few times a day was prescribed along with a few other not-OTC items.
[/quote]

Interesting. I was thinking about adding 5 grams post workout and 5 grams before bed. Do you think the brand makes a big difference since there really is only one ingredient?

Also, what would be the difference in benefits of taking BCAA’s vs Glutamine? I am aware that they are all amino acids, and that they are probably utilized for different purposes in the body, but am unsure of their differences in specific effects.

The difference (as I understand it) with BCAAs and L-Glutamine is BCAAs are the only things directly used by the muscles (probably said that wrong) while Glutamine is simply oriented towards recovery as a whole. It does this by reversing or slowing catabolism, facilitating recovery. It is “conditionally essential” because it needs food to work as well. Glutamine is used very often in the medical field to speed recovery after surgery if I recall correctly, so I see why it works with bodybuilders in reducing soreness/fatigue.

BCAA’s have a different method of being digested

“The reason why pure BCAA powder has such a powerful effect on blood levels of the amino acids, is because of the metabolism of BCAA, which passes directly to the blood stream rather than digesting in small intestine or the liver. Therefore, an oral BCAA supplementation is considered to be of the same effect as injection, because it reaches the bloodstream very rapidly.”

and

“BCAA are mostly catabolized in skeletal muscle. This represents an important difference between brainched-chain and other amino acids that are primarily digested in the liver and intestine.”

I’ve read this all in a dozen places just worded differently. I’ve also heard it as BCAAs are the one group of aminos that move more directly to the muscle/blood stream.

Edit: and although Biotest claims it matters (maybe it does with creatine) in my mind, BCAAs are BCAAs and Glutamine is Glutamine. I buy both by the 5-lb tub for dirt cheap at a certain local store.

I believe glutamine helped heal a peptic ulcer I had.

It’s tremendously helped a friend of mine who survived colorectal cancer. Before glutamine, major gut issues often kept him from leaving the house. Now, he has only minor gut issues, and those would probably disappear if his diet weren’t so poor.

I have personally never noticed anything from probiotics, and I’ve tried LOTS of brands.

I’ve tried a lot of stuff for chronic gut issues in the past, but if I had a hint of a problem now, glutamine would be the FIRST thing I would take.

[quote]andersons wrote:
I’ve tried a lot of stuff for chronic gut issues in the past, but if I had a hint of a problem now, glutamine would be the FIRST thing I would take. [/quote]

Luckily I don’t have any gut issues since I eat extremely well, I just want to maintain and enhance its overall health. I ordered up some glutamine so we’ll see how that goes.

I was thinking about using 5 grams post workout and 5 grams before bed. Would taking 5 grams upon waking be prudent?

I have used Beradi’s gut healing protocol after a sickness, it involved glutamine, enzymes and prebiotics - healed me in 2 weeks. I did use peptide bonded glutamine. Was very happy with results and apart from a few things my guts are in great shape now.

The following don’t really agree with my guts post sickness:
Eating too many eggs
Spicy food but cannot give this up I’m afraid
Alcohol - the worst
Caffein in large doses
Creatine

[quote]plateau wrote:
I have used Beradi’s gut healing protocol after a sickness, it involved glutamine, enzymes and prebiotics - healed me in 2 weeks. I did use peptide bonded glutamine. Was very happy with results and apart from a few things my guts are in great shape now.

Eating too many eggs
Alcohol - the worst
Caffein in large doses
Creatine[/quote]

Post the protocol or the link?

Prebiotics: Help Keep Probiotics ALIVE
Barley.Oats,Wheat,Rye,Quinoa,Onions,Garlic,Bananas,Berries,Flax,Yams, Jicama,Beans,Honey.

Pobiotics: Improve GI health and Systemic Immmunity
Kefir,Certain Yogurts,Buttermilk,Sauerkraut,Pickles,Bacterrially Fermented Cheeses, Wine,Miso, Tempeh,Soy Sauce,Kimchi.

Hope this Help

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]plateau wrote:

Eating too many eggs
Alcohol - the worst
Caffein in large doses
Creatine[/quote]

Post the protocol or the link?
[/quote]

1st 3 days - 40-60g glutamine each day - 6 doses or so in water throughout the day.

4th day - introduce enteric coated acidophilus - Primadophilus by Nature’s Way is a good choice - if taking this product, take 1 capsule between meals 3x per day. Take for 2 weeks and if symptoms abate, stop here (although keep taking a maintenance dose of 1-2 capsules a day as long as symptoms are gone).

18th day - if healthy bacterial isn’t relieving problems, introduce digestive enzymes - Omegazyme is a good one - take 1-2 capsules with each feeding. Take for 2 weeks and if symptoms abate, keep this regimen.

I had terrible gut issues for a long time…something that the ANACONDA Protocol seemed to make worse. But I loved it and did not want to stop.

So, I did some looking…and found this.

Worked great I lost 3 inches off my waist and the ANACONDA Protocol no longer causes me any digestive distress.

In terms of digestive help… this… us.cpoliquin.com/product_p/omnizyme.htm

is by far the best thing out there.

Hope this helped!

[quote]UtahLama wrote:
I had terrible gut issues for a long time…something that the ANACONDA Protocol seemed to make worse. But I loved it and did not want to stop.

Worked great I lost 3 inches off my waist and the ANACONDA Protocol no longer causes me any digestive distress.

In terms of digestive help… this… us.cpoliquin.com/product_p/omnizyme.htm

Hope this helped![/quote]

Thanks for the link. I already use a digestive aid, but I’ll look into Poliquin’s as I know they are of the highest quality, albeit also of the highest price.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

In terms of digestive help… this… Zinc Benefits are Amazing [You Should Supplement]

Hope this helped![/quote]

Thanks for the link. I already use a digestive aid, but I’ll look into Poliquin’s as I know they are of the highest quality, albeit also of the highest price.[/quote]

I know they are expensive…but they are simply the best thing I have tried.

The cleanse made the biggest difference I cannot emphasize that enough.

awesome thread

[quote]Mouldsie wrote:
awesome thread[/quote]

Your an awesome thread. WHAT NOW!

Let’s take it outside buddy

[quote]Mouldsie wrote:
Let’s take it outside buddy[/quote]

I’m not your buddy, guy.

I eat greek yogurt regularly…

Apple cider vinegar is also good for overall gut health (if can get it down…smells like fermented horse shit).

Probiotics and digestive enzymes are a staple supplement for me. I just like knowing that I am now a digestive machine and that my food is actually being assimilated properly.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]Mouldsie wrote:
Let’s take it outside buddy[/quote]

I’m not your buddy, guy.[/quote]

i’m not your guy, friend…

[quote]Broseph wrote:

Apple cider vinegar is also good for overall gut health (if can get it down…smells like fermented horse shit).

Probiotics and digestive enzymes are a staple supplement for me. I just like knowing that I am now a digestive machine and that my food is actually being assimilated properly.[/quote]

really AC Vin? i use it every day but i thought i read somewhere the acidity was bad for ‘guts’ in the sense that it causes cancer in the GI tract… something like the Japanese are at such a high risk because their diets are highly acidic - i may be wrong

[quote]Broseph wrote:
[/quote]
I frequently take ACV. While I think it smells more like wet socks, I’ve actually grown to really enjoy the taste. 2 tbsp straight, no prob.

I occasionally take a bottle of Organika plant enzymes (acid stable, like Poliquin’s omnizyme) and a high quality probiotic (Mercola’s).

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

[quote]Broseph wrote:

Probiotics and digestive enzymes are a staple supplement for me. I just like knowing that I am now a digestive machine and that my food is actually being assimilated properly.[/quote]

really AC Vin? i use it every day but i thought i read somewhere the acidity was bad for ‘guts’ in the sense that it causes cancer in the GI tract… something like the Japanese are at such a high risk because their diets are highly acidic - i may be wrong[/quote]

ACV actually has an alkaline effect on the body, similar to lemon juice. It helps stabalize blood sugar levels as well as being great for digestive health among other things. I actually like the taste and use it frequently on salads.