Gut Health! Sort of a Log

There’s an interesting documentary on the BBC just now called “Eating to live forever with…”. Only watched first part but they are looking at calorie restriction to increase longevity. They mentioned steering the body away from growth and towards maintenance, which will probably go down like a ton of bricks with this website :wink:

There were fecal transplants in the trailer (saw some getting whizzed in the blender) and they were talking about the microbiome and various things relevant to this thread so you should check it out. I’ll be watching the rest of it on the BBC iPlayer, which you can probably access from abroad via a proxy server.

[quote]Diddy Ryder wrote:
There’s an interesting documentary on the BBC just now called “Eating to live forever with…”. Only watched first part but they are looking at calorie restriction to increase longevity. They mentioned steering the body away from growth and towards maintenance, which will probably go down like a ton of bricks with this website :wink:

There were fecal transplants in the trailer (saw some getting whizzed in the blender) and they were talking about the microbiome and various things relevant to this thread so you should check it out. I’ll be watching the rest of it on the BBC iPlayer, which you can probably access from abroad via a proxy server.[/quote]

It’s true… if one is increased in autophagy, then caloric restriction and fasting affect a bunch of molecular pathways that promote life over death… the pathways being insulin/IGF-1, mTOR, Klotho, AMPK, Sirtuin, etc.

Some other things are also helpful in terms of autophagy, such as sunlight, caffeine, resveratrol, lithium, green tea, exercise, etc.

Totally not on-topic of gut health but it is something I just read about so I felt the need to chime in. :stuck_out_tongue:

On the top of gut health, I’ve been taking Metagenics Balance. :stuck_out_tongue:

^^^Nice find there by the Diddly Riddler.

In other news: I’ve decided to give an elimination diet a whirl. Since my SIBO protocol I’ve been healthier, definitely, but I am still getting a bit of bloating and the occasional heinous BM and I’m wanting to find the cause.

I’ll log it here, and post more in depth about my strategy when I start it.

I think that, realistically, if I am intolerant to a food which I love I’ll never eliminate it completely, but at least I would know and be able to avoid it 90% of the time.

According to the Precision Nutrition article I read, it should only take 6 weeks so I figure that’s not much in the grand scheme of things. Hardest part’ll be getting the girlfriend on board…

I’ve started using resistant starch.
Started out with 1/4 of a teaspoon.

Thanks, Diddy Ryder.

Sounds interesting. Care to share the link to said PN article?
Oh, and better get a handle on your girl’s attitude before it’s too late. :wink:
Giving her power is like letting a monkey fly a plane - very dangerous!

[quote]FattyFat wrote:
I’ve started using resistant starch.
Started out with 1/4 of a teaspoon.

Thanks, Diddy Ryder.

Sounds interesting. Care to share the link to said PN article?
Oh, and better get a handle on your girl’s attitude before it’s too late. :wink:
Giving her power is like letting a monkey fly a plane - very dangerous!

[/quote]

I’ve tried to link to precision nutrition articles on here before and they get taken down but if you just google “precision nutrition elimination diet” then ye shall find.

She has a vagina! That automatically grants her all kinds of power. Haha. She’s actually pretty cool and will probably do it with me as her digestive health’s not great either.

So the next 3 weeks on the elimination diet are going to be rough. My diet is going to consist entirely of:

-ground turkey meat which I will cook with onions, mushrooms and peppers; seasoned with various spices (gonna be eating like a kilo of this every day)
-lamb chops
-sweet potato
-rice
-coconut oil
-apples

And that’s pretty much it for the next 3 weeks. Oh well. Think I’ll order pizza tonight.

Here’s a list of verboten foodstuffs:

-citrus fruits (don’t eat much of these anyway)
-tomatoes, eggplants and potatoes (nightshades)
-wheat, corn, barley, oats, anything with gluten
-soy and legumes
-all nuts and seeds
-beef, chicken, pork, any and all processed meats
-dairy
-all fats except olive, flax and coconut oil
-alcohol and caffeine (actually almost every beverage except water)
-chocolate
-pretty much every condiment
-pretty much anything sweet except stevia

So all the good stuff, essentially.

The basic idea is that you cut out all that shit for 3 weeks, then once the three weeks are up you pick one and have a day where you eat it a couple of times. You then go back to the elimination style of eating and monitor your symptoms over the next two days. If you have no symptoms, then: success! You can eat that food with impunity! If you have any issues (from gastric distress to shit like join pain, headaches, skin problems, anything really) then you know that food is your enemy and you mustn’t eat it from now on. The whole process takes about 6 weeks. I think mine might take slightly less because there’s foods on that list I’m not even going to bother testing for because I never eat them

Oh god I REALLY hope I can eat beef, tomatoes, chicken, dairy and potatoes. Don’t really give a shit about anything else on the no-fly list. I’d miss caffeine but I could make do without it. I’ll get some amphetamine or something.

Will be starting this on Thursday so I shall report back.

Pretty sure I shouldn’t have dairy or beer. I have seb derm and something is causing it.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Pretty sure I shouldn’t have dairy or beer. I have seb derm and something is causing it. [/quote]

might I suggest the elimination diet? All the cool kids are doing it

first day of the elimination diet today. Wonder how long it’ll be before the sight of turkey mince makes me start crying.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Pretty sure I shouldn’t have dairy or beer. I have seb derm and something is causing it. [/quote]

might I suggest the elimination diet? All the cool kids are doing it[/quote]

I may try it. I just received my 4 3-day packs of Elixa today. Hope those help in some way.

Update on using resistant starch

Been using Bob’s Red Mill Potato Starch for roughly 10 days, now.
Started at 1 tsp ed which gave me slight bloating the first couple of days.
Once that abated, I slowly increased my daily dose to 2 tsp.

It seems to help in keeping blood sugar levels relatively constant: I would go hours without eating something.
Usually, no matter how much I’m focused doing something (work, e.g.), it’s my blood sugar crashing that reminds me to eat something. Not so with that resistant starch right there.

There’s been something weird, though: for the first week, my stool became a lot softer than it used to be. And I had more BMs altogether on a daily basis.

After that, my BMs ended up becoming more manly and solid, again.

So, the last 2 months had me seemingly reverse all that SIBO shit and GI discomfort I had accrued since 2011.
Finally eating taters again, tolerating fine scottish oats and even psylium husks galore - life was good.

Bloaty Adventures

Feeling adventurous, the wife and I got some Thai take-away last Friday. Nothing fancy: lots of veggies and chicken, some jasmin rice and galgant-based sauce. Shouldn’t have done that.
Roughly half an hour later, I was sporting a big bloated belly. On top of things, I couldn’t sleep all night thanks to reflux and never-ending hiccups. Got a nice bout of itchy skin on top. Since the bloat didn’t relent after 36 hours, I took the plunge and took a good dose of capryilc acid and oil of oregano (both ent. coated). 2 hours later I was fine, just like that.
Been taking Elixa after that to get on top of things ASAP.

@Yogi
Keep rocking that elimination diet.
Eating functionally always came easy to me, but doing so with next to no seasoning at all - not cool.

@StevenF
Elixa did wonders for me. Hope it’s gonna fix things for you, too.

I guess I’ll post this here because the thread I received didn’t really get any good answers.

Do you guys use apple cider vinegar to improve gut health? It apparently is used by some to prevent bloating and eliminate bad bacteria from your digestive system.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
I guess I’ll post this here because the thread I received didn’t really get any good answers.

Do you guys use apple cider vinegar to improve gut health? It apparently is used by some to prevent bloating and eliminate bad bacteria from your digestive system.
[/quote]

it’s on my list of things to try, definitely, just haven’t happened across a bottle yet.

Been meaning to buy some and add a couple of tbsp to my meals. I figure it can’t hurt.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]

Someone mentioned it on page 2 or so, you might want to peruse the earlier pages. I was just breazing threw them and remember seeing it.

ok, so I couldn’t handle a full three weeks on the elimination diet. No man can eat that much turkey without going a little mad. I did, however, get to the root of the foods I was consuming every day that were causing me issues. These were:

-whey protein
-hot sauce

I thought I could handle whey again after I did my SIBO protocol (details of which can be found a few pages back) but it appears I cannot. I have a theory as to why it appeared that I could for a while but ultimately cannot, which is that if you have a food intolerance, cutting out that food for 6 months sometimes allows your body to do a sort of reset and you can add them back in again. I hadn’t attempted to consume whey for about a year prior to my SIBO protocol, so that meant my body could handle it at first, but daily use soon meant the intolerance came back. Oh well.

I know whey is causing me problems as I had no bloating or anything like that whatsoever for the week of eliminating everything, then one day when I’d forgotten to bring my lunches with me to work I had to eat some home made protein snakcs one of my customers made. A couple of hours later I was a bloated, flatulent mess. So yeah, no more whey for me, sadly.

The hot sauce thing is a total bitch but considering everything I’ve eaten for like the last 20 years has been slathered in it, I suppose the party had to end sooner or later. I’ll still use a tiny bit every now and then in cooking or whatever, but I’ll no longer use it as the sole source of flavour in my tupperware lunches.

Speaking of tupperware lunches, check out how I’m eating now:

-ground meat: beef, lamb or turkey. I use more beef and lamb than I do turkey for the sake of keeping omega 6 down (thanks, Bill Roberts), and when I do use turkey I add a ton of coconut and olive oil as it’s pretty miserably low in calories without it.
-a ton of veggies: bell peppers, onions, carrots, spinach, kale, mushrooms. Any and all of these go into my ground meat. I put them all into the food processor til they become mush, then pour the mush into the ground meat as it’s cooking. Stir it all up, let it simmer for a while, then: boom! lunch is done.

I eat this two or three times a day depending on my shift pattern with cooked and cooled white rice, and as a result my vegetable consumption is through the roof! I’m also getting a TON of fibre and resistant starch. I’ll probably eat like this every day at work now for the rest of my life. When I move house at the end of summer and have a big enough freezer to make paying for grass fed meat viable, I’ll be the healthiest damn human on the planet!

My gut feels the best it’s felt in years. I thought I was all good after the SIBO protocol, and while I still think that helped loads, it clearly just treated the condition that I had as a result of not paying enough attention to food intolerances, without correcting the issues that got me there in the first place. Now I am eating in such a way that it’ll never come back.

Good times, noodle salad. I haven’t tried adding wheat back in yet, but meh, I didn’t eat a huge amount of that to begin with. I think my wheat consumption will forever be limited to the occasional burger bun or pizza in a restaurant.

TL, DR - life is good and I hardly ever even fart anymore let alone anything else.

Ever since taking Elixa my health improved, specifically wrt digestion, lifestyle and wound healing.

I’d like to touch upon the latter: as some of you might have read, I’ve been using prolotherapy - or regenerative injection therapy, to use a rather fancy term - to heal partially torn ligaments and fibrocartilage (not to be confused with articular cartilage).

My first rounds of prolotherapy were administered by an expert in this area in 2010. Back then, my metabolism, thyroid levels and digestion were superb and the treatment worked very well.

After a slew of training accidents, I turned to prolotherapy and aformentioned expert back in 2011. The results were there, but not as good as in 2010. Admittedly, the injury sites treated were also a lot more severe. But I should mention that 2011 was the year my metabolism, digestion and thyroid levels started to take a nosedive. What I mean by this is that my go-to methods of training and nutrition that always had worked in the 10+ years before that didn’t work, anymore. I started getting fatter and weaker.

This went on until 2013 when I finally decided to do something about my thyroid. Things improved wrt wound healing and digestion, but only to a degree.

2014 was the year I started to experiment with my gut microbiome. As I’ve recounted in earliers posts, I developed SIBO in 2013-ish (maybe even in 2012, it’s hard to tell in retrospect) which I finally got rid of in 2014 after multiple rounds of natural anti-microbials and a diet devoid in complex carbs, starch and fructose. Still, my digestion was shitty since I failed to repopulate my large intestine with the proper bacteria.

I’ve already expounded on the virtues of the Elixa probiotic. This seemed to be the missing piece in reclaiming my health.

Now, after multiple rounds of Elixa in the past 3 months, lots of self-prolotherapy I can say without a doubt that my wound healing has never been as good as it is now. Well, at least for the past 11 years. Why 11 years? We should take into account that I didn’t give a shit about wound healing until I started to accrue serious joint injuries, the first of which happened back in 2004 when I tore a wrist ligament (I was bb curling 220+ lbs and OHP’ing nigh 300 lbs multiple times a week, back then) that went untreated for 1.5 years.

I recently discussed this with a former scientist co-worker of mine. We’ve worked together on a lot of R&D projects back in the day and he respects and understands my self-experimentation wrt to wound healing. What I was telling him reminded him of this interesting study: Microbial Symbionts Accelerate Wound Healing via the Neuropeptide Hormone Oxytocin

TL;DR

• used to be healthy until 2010 (despite lots of joint injuries)
  • health took a nosedive in 2011: metabolism, digestion, wound healing
  • dabbled in regenerative injection therapy to treat many injuries: bad wound healing correlated with slow metabolism and bad digestion
  • fixing my gut microbiome restored my wound healing: the probiotic I took contains Lactobacillus Reuteri
  • this study sheds more light on Lactobacillus Reuteri, the vagus nerve, hormones and wound healing: Microbial Symbionts Accelerate Wound Healing via the Neuropeptide Hormone Oxytocin

Been following this blog for awhile and wanted to list some of my results.

I believe I had candida at some point/sibo or IBS-D. I went through all the natural microbials which seemed to eliminate the candida but I was left with SIBO. Now that I look back at it I believe I had SIBO or IBS-D for several years.

Fast forward to this blog and some additional research I started on a very similar protocol to Yogis. I was using Potato Starch, Psyllium Husk, and Amazing grass mixed twice daily. I was also supplementing with NAC, Berberine, Presecript Assist, and Milk Thistle. I have has great results with this including eating cooked and cooled potatoes for roughly the last 2 months.

In the last 2 weeks things started to get worse again. Not as bad as they were prior to this protocol but definitely heading in the wrong direction. I am still taking all the above supplements and have even added Banana Flour to my morning drink.

Yogi – I believe this is something similar to what you experienced? You were pretty much perfect using a similar protocol and then things started to get a tad worse again? I am debating if I should slowly stop taking the Berberine and other supplements since there is mixed concerns on its potential catabolic effects (none which I have seen yet, I’m on my second bottle).

My stomach was pretty much bullet proof through the first several weeks and while I was away on vacation ate pretty much whatever. I am concerned that if I stop the above supplements things will just get instantly worse. I would love to know how much cooked and cooled rice/potatoes are you having per day? Are you eating resistant starch at each meal?

I may have to go back to an elimination diet which I was on previously and found that nuts/nut flour/nut butter may be the culprit.

Also, check out this company called Natural Stacks. They make a prebiotic supplement containing both potato starch and banana flour. It is a bit on the pricey side but I just ordered it and will give update on a review.

[quote]Caferacer78 wrote:
Yogi – I believe this is something similar to what you experienced? You were pretty much perfect using a similar protocol and then things started to get a tad worse again? I am debating if I should slowly stop taking the Berberine and other supplements since there is mixed concerns on its potential catabolic effects (none which I have seen yet, I’m on my second bottle).
[/quote]

The issue I had is that I got such encouraging results from the SIBO protocol, once it was over I pretty much just went back to eating whatever I wanted, and didn’t pay attention to “trigger foods.”

I’m of the opinion now that an SIBO protocol is not enough, and you’ll need to do some sort of elimination diet to work out what fucked your guts up in the first place. I don’t have any evidence for it but I strongly suspect it was food intolerances that laid the way for my SIBO in the first place.

Since doing the SIBO protocol, I can eat loads of foods without issue and foods I thought were off limits are on my menu again (pizza, thank god I can eat pizza. Cheat days just weren’t the same) but I know now that anything with a lot of fresh chilli or whey protein’ll fuck me right up.

So, in short: SIBO protocol worked great but without addressing my problem foods I’d have been right back where I started, I suspect.

As for how much resistant starch I eat, I eat at least two servings of cooked and cooled rice a day. I haven’t added the psyllium husk/potato starch back in since my brief elimination diet but I don’t appear to need it. I might still consider adding it back in eventually.

I’m not sure if people still check this thread; I refer back it for ideas/refreshers and in case others do as well…

I came across an interesting piece about “current” research (2008) into resistant starch. This may have already been posted, but in the event it wasn’t, I thought it might be of use to someone. The authors discuss someof the limitations and short-comings of the article and disclose funding sources. There’s some good basic info and lots of citations that might inspire future readings.

[quote]PocketHercules wrote:
I’m not sure if people still check this thread; I refer back it for ideas/refreshers and in case others do as well…

I came across an interesting piece about “current” research (2008) into resistant starch. This may have already been posted, but in the event it wasn’t, I thought it might be of use to someone. The authors discuss someof the limitations and short-comings of the article and disclose funding sources. There’s some good basic info and lots of citations that might inspire future readings.

http://www.valemaisalimentos.com.br/material/2.pdf[/quote]

I always welcome a bump of my life’s work! haha.

Thanks for posting, I shall delve into it when I get a chance.

I’ve stopped with the supplementary resistant starch as I eat so much cooked and cooled white rice there didn’t seem much point. I easily hit the 45g recommended most days.