Gut Health! Sort of a Log

I’m constantly gassy and bloated so it’s no big thing. No movement today.

Any new gut info to share?
Xmas was an absolute glutton-fest for me. This time I survived it unscathed though!

I’ve gone on probiotics for three cycles over the previous calendar year. I’ve used several different manufacturers, although I’ve never used anything less than 10 billion CFUs, and I have gone as high as 80 billion CFUs.

I cannot ascertain that correlation inherently equals causation, but each time I have used them for at least 30 days, my psoriasis was noticeably better without any other direct, intentional modifications to my workout regiment, diet or lifestyle patterns.

[quote]JR249 wrote:
I’ve gone on probiotics for three cycles over the previous calendar year. I’ve used several different manufacturers, although I’ve never used anything less than 10 billion CFUs, and I have gone as high as 80 billion CFUs.

I cannot ascertain that correlation inherently equals causation, but each time I have used them for at least 30 days, my psoriasis was noticeably better without any other direct, intentional modifications to my workout regiment, diet or lifestyle patterns.[/quote]

Very interesting. I had seborrhoeic dermatitis (which is similar to psoriasis) and my probiotic blitz cleared me up long-term.
I’m not sure that even 80 billion CFU can cut it for sustained improvement, but I’m glad you discovered this relationship between gut and skin. I think probiotics are the right direction for a permanent (or atleast several month) remission for psoriasis.

Tried the elixa for two rounds of 3 days. Did not notice anything significant other than having somewhat healthy bowel movements those days. As soon as I ran out it has been back to the usual bloating, gassy, and mild constipation I usually have.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Tried the elixa for two rounds of 3 days. Did not notice anything significant other than having somewhat healthy bowel movements those days. As soon as I ran out it has been back to the usual bloating, gassy, and mild constipation I usually have. [/quote]

did you not get anything out of the SIBO protocol?

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Tried the elixa for two rounds of 3 days. Did not notice anything significant other than having somewhat healthy bowel movements those days. As soon as I ran out it has been back to the usual bloating, gassy, and mild constipation I usually have. [/quote]

did you not get anything out of the SIBO protocol?[/quote]

negative. Nothing. However, I think the peppermint oil definitely helps. I didn’t feel much benefit from the berberine, NAC, and monolaurin.

I will be giving the Prescript Assist a go and see if that gives the same effect that the Elixa seemed to have. Those were the best bowel movements I’ve had in a while.

Has anyone ever tried a fast/mag-citrate cleanse thing before? I have heard people doing it as basically a “reset” to your digestive tract and do so every 6, 9, 12 months, whatever.

Another forum (the private message one) had a huge thread a while back about this 72 hour (think friday evening to monday morning) fast with a “cleanse” aspect. The cleanse aspect being drinking a bottle of magnesium citrate on saturday and sunday morning in order for you to shit your brains out.

The thinking is that while clearing out your pipes (people report having clear liquid bowel movements by sunday evening) and not ingesting any food, you are allowing your digestive system to not have to work and clearing out all of the built up crap (literally, ha) in your digestive system. Once the fast is finished, people start on a regimen of whole, healthy foods and probiotics, etc etc.

I did it about a year ago and cleared a lot out, but didn’t see the same clear liquid bowel movements that many people report. I did feel “lighter” and gut distention definitely decreased, but many people report TONS of benefits, such as: more energy, better digestion, better food motility, better bowel movements, feeling lighter, decreased bloating, decreased gut distention, decreased gas, etc.

I am planning on doing it again soon, but I will likely eat TONS of fibrous veggies and psyllium husks the thursday and friday before the mag-citrate on saturday in order to provide some bulk for the mag citrate to push/pull through.

[quote]StevenF wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]StevenF wrote:

did you not get anything out of the SIBO protocol?[/quote]

negative. Nothing. However, I think the peppermint oil definitely helps. I didn’t feel much benefit from the berberine, NAC, and monolaurin. [/quote]

that’s a pity, but at least you don’t have SIBO! Keep the peppermint oil in the mix; there’s so many benefits

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Has anyone ever tried a fast/mag-citrate cleanse thing before? I have heard people doing it as basically a “reset” to your digestive tract and do so every 6, 9, 12 months, whatever.

Another forum (the private message one) had a huge thread a while back about this 72 hour (think friday evening to monday morning) fast with a “cleanse” aspect. The cleanse aspect being drinking a bottle of magnesium citrate on saturday and sunday morning in order for you to shit your brains out.

The thinking is that while clearing out your pipes (people report having clear liquid bowel movements by sunday evening) and not ingesting any food, you are allowing your digestive system to not have to work and clearing out all of the built up crap (literally, ha) in your digestive system. Once the fast is finished, people start on a regimen of whole, healthy foods and probiotics, etc etc.

I did it about a year ago and cleared a lot out, but didn’t see the same clear liquid bowel movements that many people report. I did feel “lighter” and gut distention definitely decreased, but many people report TONS of benefits, such as: more energy, better digestion, better food motility, better bowel movements, feeling lighter, decreased bloating, decreased gut distention, decreased gas, etc.

I am planning on doing it again soon, but I will likely eat TONS of fibrous veggies and psyllium husks the thursday and friday before the mag-citrate on saturday in order to provide some bulk for the mag citrate to push/pull through. [/quote]

I know the thread of which you speak, and I’m not sure I’d do it. You are going to wash out a TON of beneficial bacteria that way.

At the very least, get yourself some probiotics and fermented food to repopulate your gut after.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
I will be giving the Prescript Assist a go and see if that gives the same effect that the Elixa seemed to have. Those were the best bowel movements I’ve had in a while. [/quote]

Yep, i don’t like to talk about it much because it’s a bit TMI, but a one-wiper clean bowel movement is one of the ‘healthiest’ feelings ever.

Sounds like you have fairly stubborn IBS. I’m surprised it went back so rapidly… Was it during Xmas period of bad-eating?

For me, my results from Elixa are sustained for as long as my diet remains relatively healthy. If I go on an streak of junk food then it would reverse the results to some degree.

In any case, I’m interested to hear further results from the next experiment.
If this other probiotic doesn’t work then it might just be a case of needing to take the Elixa for a bit longer. I’ve gone through about 8 packs atleast. I tend to think I had a pretty stubborn problem though (sounds like you do too).
I won’t lie, I have taken it a fair few times. Mostly because I was interested to see how far it could improve my skin/hair and mindset. It’s not a one-hit wonder. But it is definitely a wonder. But maybe a 4-hit wonder with the occasional jab and cross to keep things tip-top :wink: lol

According to my doctor, I have an “ileus” in my intestine. So no wonder nothing seems to work. Hopefully the GI doc can figure out why this is and hopefully treat me. Any input?

[quote]StevenF wrote:
According to my doctor, I have an “ileus” in my intestine. So no wonder nothing seems to work. Hopefully the GI doc can figure out why this is and hopefully treat me. Any input?[/quote]

Hmmm, interesting… it seems an ileus is a disruption in peristalsis. (It doesn’t seem to fit the context of being ‘in’ the intestine though. It’s more like a ‘state’ that the intestine is in.)

Have you tried any fiber/prebiotic such as FOS (aka. Inulin) or GOS? Alternative a lot of onions is a dietary way of adding FOS. It would be interesting to see what that resulted in. It’s strange to think, but I seriously believe that the microbiota in your gut can affect things like peristalsis. They’ve been shown to affect things relating to nervous function afterall.
Not saying that FOS/GOS would fix that per se…
But I’d be interested to know if you’ve tried it.

not sure what FOS and GOS is. I think its a gut bacteria imbalance of some sort as well but I’m just a layperson. I know the Elixa probiotics seemed to produce good results as far as getting things moving. Miralax + Prune juice does nothing, Psyllium Husk + Potato starch does nothing, coffee does nothing.

Any thoughts on kombucha?

[quote]StevenF wrote:
not sure what FOS and GOS is. I think its a gut bacteria imbalance of some sort as well but I’m just a layperson. I know the Elixa probiotics seemed to produce good results as far as getting things moving. Miralax + Prune juice does nothing, Psyllium Husk + Potato starch does nothing, coffee does nothing. [/quote]

FOS is fructooligosaccharides. It is quite easy to get hold of online. It’s usually called Inulin. It’s on amazon, ebay and other websites that sell supplements.
GOS is galactooligosaccharides and it’s harder to get hold of and hasn’t been around as long.
When you try FOS you need to ramp up very slowly to avoid gas issues. If you are going to try it then I would advise you start at half a teaspoon (a level teaspoon, not heaped), increasing by half a teaspoon per day (or every other day) up to about 3 teaspoons (i.e. 1 tablespoon) per day and see how that goes.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
not sure what FOS and GOS is. I think its a gut bacteria imbalance of some sort as well but I’m just a layperson. I know the Elixa probiotics seemed to produce good results as far as getting things moving. Miralax + Prune juice does nothing, Psyllium Husk + Potato starch does nothing, coffee does nothing. [/quote]

it’s actually probably best to avoid coffee. Doesn’t always react favourably with people’s gut flora

Any thoughts on a probiotic with these ingredients?

Betaine HCL 400mg
Pepsin 140mg
Alpha Amylase 100mg
Lactobacillus Casei 2 Billion CFU
Lactobacillus Acidophilus 2 Billion CFU
Bifidobacterium Bifidum 1.4 Billion CFU
Lactobacillus Plantarum 1.4 Billion CFU
Bacillus Coagulans 1 Billion CFU

[quote]Diddy Ryder wrote:
Any thoughts on a probiotic with these ingredients?

Betaine HCL 400mg
Pepsin 140mg
Alpha Amylase 100mg
Lactobacillus Casei 2 Billion CFU
Lactobacillus Acidophilus 2 Billion CFU
Bifidobacterium Bifidum 1.4 Billion CFU
Lactobacillus Plantarum 1.4 Billion CFU
Bacillus Coagulans 1 Billion CFU[/quote]

lactobacillus acidophilus can apparently contribute to SIBO (my old nemesis) in some people, so there’s that to consider. Probably be ok, but maybe not.

I’d go for Prescript Assist, personally.