Gut Health! Sort of a Log

YOGI, what was your exact protocol for SIBO? Also, where did you purchase your supplements for it?

[quote]StevenF wrote:
YOGI, what was your exact protocol for SIBO? Also, where did you purchase your supplements for it? [/quote]

-0.2ml enteric coated peppermint oil
-1200mg monolaurin
-400mg berberine
-1200mg N Acetyl Cysteine

taken twice a day on an empty stomach. Also used (and still do) a mix of psyllium husk fibre and potato starch (1 tbsp each) once or twice a day. I ate really low carb when I was doing it (apparently that helps).

Protocol lasted about a month. After I was done with that I added some SBO probiotics.

I just bought the supps off amazon for the most part. It wasn’t cheap, but it was genuinely one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I’m a different person now.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]StevenF wrote:
YOGI, what was your exact protocol for SIBO? Also, where did you purchase your supplements for it? [/quote]

-1200mg monolaurin
-400mg berberine

taken twice a day on an empty stomach. Also used (and still do) a mix of psyllium husk fibre and potato starch (1 tbsp each) once or twice a day. I ate really low carb when I was doing it (apparently that helps).

Protocol lasted about a month. After I was done with that I added some SBO probiotics.

I just bought the supps off amazon for the most part. It wasn’t cheap, but it was genuinely one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I’m a different person now.[/quote]

Other than strictly GI issues, have you noticed anything else improving?

I mean, DEFINITELY improving. Such as skin, mental state, allergies, etc.?

Would you say the results came due to the psyllium + RS mostly, or do you think the SBOs were an essential part of the protocol?

[quote]Ready-2-Learn wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]StevenF wrote:

-1200mg monolaurin
-400mg berberine

I just bought the supps off amazon for the most part. It wasn’t cheap, but it was genuinely one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I’m a different person now.[/quote]

Other than strictly GI issues, have you noticed anything else improving?

I mean, DEFINITELY improving. Such as skin, mental state, allergies, etc.?

Would you say the results came due to the psyllium + RS mostly, or do you think the SBOs were an essential part of the protocol?[/quote]

Just GI issues, but they were so bad that that’s plenty as far as I’m concerned.

I would say the results mostly came from the supplements I was taking for the SIBO. The fibre helped, I’m sure, but without the SIBO supps it wouldn’t have fixed anything.

By the time I started on the SBOs I was already pretty much fixed, so I can’t say for sure that they’ve even been necessary but I’d already bought them and I trust the science so I figured I might as well take them anyway

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]StevenF wrote:

-1200mg monolaurin
-400mg berberine

Just bought them and will be starting it when i have everything. I didn’t even take a #2 today and that happens often only going every other day. This needs to be solved now.

[quote]StevenF wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]StevenF wrote:

-1200mg monolaurin
-400mg berberine

Just bought them and will be starting it when i have everything. I didn’t even take a #2 today and that happens often only going every other day. This needs to be solved now.[/quote]

good luck, mate. Report back as to how it goes. I noticed a benefit within the first couple of weeks

Took my first dose tonight. Hope this helps! Been a long time dealing with these problems.

you doing the same protocol I did?

[quote]Yogi wrote:
you doing the same protocol I did?[/quote]

Yes or as close as I can get with the dosages of my supplements. Trying to cut out the caffeine kind of touch just worked 20 hours of OT in the past two days.

[quote]StevenF wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
you doing the same protocol I did?[/quote]

Yes or as close as I can get with the dosages of my supplements. Trying to cut out the caffeine kind of touch just worked 20 hours of OT in the past two days. [/quote]

Hey Steven,
Any update on the protocol?

Nothing significant yet. Following the protocol pretty close trying to only get carbs from fruit and basmati rice. Had some carrot cake and pie over thanksgiving but most of my little bit of carbs has been rice and fruit otherwise. Still drinking a cup or two of coffee I can’t imagine that would have a big effect. Bowel movements are still rather poor and inconsistent. Still haven’t had one today.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Nothing significant yet. Following the protocol pretty close trying to only get carbs from fruit and basmati rice. Had some carrot cake and pie over thanksgiving but most of my little bit of carbs has been rice and fruit otherwise. Still drinking a cup or two of coffee I can’t imagine that would have a big effect. Bowel movements are still rather poor and inconsistent. Still haven’t had one today. [/quote]

maybe add some bionic fibre (1 tbsp psyllium, 1 tbsp potato starch)

Fruit is jam-packed with polyols, hemicellulose and fructose. Might not be a great component of your diet.

Rice is spot on though. In all my reading of anecodotal diet reports from people with IBS, white rice is one thing that causes nobody problems.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Nothing significant yet. Following the protocol pretty close trying to only get carbs from fruit and basmati rice. Had some carrot cake and pie over thanksgiving but most of my little bit of carbs has been rice and fruit otherwise. Still drinking a cup or two of coffee I can’t imagine that would have a big effect. Bowel movements are still rather poor and inconsistent. Still haven’t had one today. [/quote]

maybe add some bionic fibre (1 tbsp psyllium, 1 tbsp potato starch)[/quote]

Just added it in yesterday. Had two nasty “movements”.

Fruit is jam-packed with polyols, hemicellulose and fructose. Might not be a great component of your diet.

Rice is spot on though. In all my reading of anecodotal diet reports from people with IBS, white rice is one thing that causes nobody problems. [/quote]

I’ll cut out the fruit. What about sweet potatoes?

[quote]StevenF wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]StevenF wrote:

maybe add some bionic fibre (1 tbsp psyllium, 1 tbsp potato starch)[/quote]

Just added it in yesterday. Had two nasty “movements”. [/quote]

yeah it takes your system a little time to adjust. Might want to take less and build up slowly

No movement today at all. Started chewing ginger after I eat. I want to get in to see a gastroenterologist and see if they can help sort this out.

[quote]StevenF wrote:

Rice is spot on though. In all my reading of anecodotal diet reports from people with IBS, white rice is one thing that causes nobody problems. [/quote]

I’ll cut out the fruit. What about sweet potatoes? [/quote]

Yes; Sweet potatoes are certainly packed with FODMAps. A great thing if your gut is healthy. A bad thing if not.

Try the probiotic I used and/or try SLOWLY ramping up inulin intake (in supplement form).

Despite Inulin being the most foddy of fodmaps, I believe it is slightly selective towards the beneficial types. Maybe more so, from person to person.

I just ordered the Elixa probiotic. I’ve tried so many and didn’t see much tangible results from them. Hopefully this one is as good as you say it is.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
I just ordered the Elixa probiotic. I’ve tried so many and didn’t see much tangible results from them. Hopefully this one is as good as you say it is. [/quote]

Cool. Yeah you’ll feel it working alright! haha. First couple days your gut will start behaving out of the ordinary. Kind of hard to describe. I think during the actual consumption of it, there’s a lot going on in your intestines. Like a war being waged.
But that settles out after about 2 days. After the course is over things were sublime and remained at that level quite consistently. I had real bad IBS though. My guess is that the WORSE your gut condition, the MORE disruptive this huge dose of probiotics will feel like.

I’ve taken a few courses (separated out) and I stopped getting the initial ‘disruption’ feeling by the third or fourth. I reckon that was because the imbalance was resolved by then.

FWIW, my mother didn’t experience any of that, so maybe it’s just a side-effect of having a really f-ked up gut in the first place.

After Elixa, wait a while then try inulin (SLOWLY increasing it). It’s pretty good for achieving one/zero-wiper dumps 75% of the time. You gotta break through an initial gas/bloat phase though. That’s the only downside.