Gut Health! Sort of a Log

[quote]StevenF wrote:

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:

[quote]StevenF wrote:
I used to have the same issue when eating pasta. [/quote]

Do you no longer have the problem or do you no longer eat pasta?
[/quote]

I no longer eat pasta. [/quote]

You could try quinoa or gluten free pasta. It sucks compared to the real thing, but it’s better than turning your ass into a rocket launcher.

[quote]Yogi wrote:
No no no, didn’t you read that Dr BG link I posted?

Bionic fibre is:

-1 tbsp psyllium
-1 tbsp potato starch

For some reason, combining the two seems to increase the effectiveness of each and makes them easier to tolerate. No gas or anything like that. Before I started combining the RS with the psyllium, anything more than a couple of teaspoons gave me horrific sides, but now I can use a big ole heaped teaspoon of the shit with nary even a fart.

Apparently the psyllium helps the RS spread butyrate further down your gut.[/quote]

Rightyohhh… I did read it but most of the info passed uninterrupted through my eyes and out the back of my head (3 kids = no sleep = no brain). I’ll get some psyllium (I’ve always had it on hand but ran out a few months back). Cheers

3 kids, mate what were you thinking? You big Irish Catholic families…

I just ate a tub of bio live yoghurt. Coconut flavour. Very nice.

So how is berberine working for you mate?

[quote]juverulez wrote:
So how is berberine working for you mate? [/quote]

appears to be rocking my world mate! An update to follow…

So I’ve just finished the second week of my protocol to nuke my (self diagnosed) SIBO. For those of you who didn’t get the memo, the protocol is:

-0.2ml enteric coated peppermint oil
-1200mg monolaurin
-400mg berberine
-1200mg N Acetyl Cysteine

(some days I take glutamine but I don’t always remember)

Taken twice a day on an empty stomach (some days I forget the second dose but for the most part I’m quite dilligent). I’m also taking a serving of Bionic Fibre, which is 2 tbsp potato starch mixed with 1 tbsp psyllium husk fibre, with my dinner.

So this entire week my digestion appears to have really improved. The most significant improvements came with the addition of the bionic fibre, so as an experiment I knew that on Friday I was going to be eating really badly, so I decided to skip the BF just to see if I would be alright without it. I have heard psyllium husk fibre criticised as just masking symptoms, so I wanted to see if my turds would go back to being awful without it.

Success! Despite eating foods that would usually have left me in a diarrheic coma, I experienced no issues at all. This suggests to me that my gut is much less inflamed, and able to deal with food way better than before. Last night I ate a load of VERY spicy Chinese food with my girlfriend, and while that would usually leave me in a bloated hell hole the next day, barely even a fart has escaped my buttocks, and my turd this morning was a thing of beauty comparable to Michelangelo’s David.

So another 2 weeks are left of the protocol to rid my small intestine of its demons, then the process to rebuild my healthy bacteria with soil-based probiotics and kefir begins.

BBC Horizon tonight (27/08) was about the allergies and the role bacteria plays in them. It turns out that healthy intestinal flora is involved in far more aspects of human health than magnificent turds, and even helps to configure our immune systems.

The documentary touched on why some people are lacking in certain bacteria, and what you can do obtain more beneficial bacteria. It wasn’t as in-depth as some of the information on here but it was interesting nonetheless, and will be available on the BBC iPlayer website for a 7 days (you American types should be able to access it if you mask your IP address or use a proxy server like ExpatShield).

Disgusting discovery of the show: you can get someone else’s sieved excrement transplanted into your gut, and this may be a cure for allergies. My sympathy goes out to the researcher with an advanced science degree who spends her day sieving shite for the good of humanity.

[quote]Diddy Ryder wrote:
BBC Horizon tonight (27/08) was about the allergies and the role bacteria plays in them. It turns out that healthy intestinal flora is involved in far more aspects of human health than magnificent turds, and even helps to configure our immune systems.[/quote]

Mate there is so much! Google “gut second brain” and you’ll find some properly mind blowing stuff.

Disgusting discovery of the show: you can get someone else’s sieved excrement transplanted into your gut, and this may be a cure for allergies. My sympathy goes out to the researcher with an advanced science degree who spends her day sieving shite for the good of humanity.

[/quote]

haha, I’ve heard about that. The fucked up thing is faecal transplants totally work! I’ve seen a study that had two groups of mice - one normal weight with a healthy gut microbiome, the other obese and with a fucked up gut microbiome - and they got the obese mice to lose all the extra weight just be feeding them the turd of the mice with the healthy microbiome!

Grossly fascinating stuff

Fecal transplants are amazing stuff: Little-known fecal transplant cures woman's bacterial infection | CNN

It’s thought that we’re born face down in order to populate our intestinal flora with bacteria from the birth mother’s anus.

Fecal transplants are amazing stuff: Little-known fecal transplant cures woman's bacterial infection | CNN

It’s thought that we’re born face down in order to populate our intestinal flora with bacteria from the birth mother’s anus.[/quote]

in other words: tossing your mother’s salad as an infant shapes you gut microbiome.

That is so messed up

[quote]Yogi wrote:

It’s thought that we’re born face down in order to populate our intestinal flora with bacteria from the birth mother’s anus.[/quote]

in other words: tossing your mother’s salad as an infant shapes you gut microbiome.

That is so messed up[/quote]

Not just that, you also get a coating of vaginal microbes that protects you against allergies. I was Caesarian and have eczema, which is apparently typical for kids born through C-sections. Then breast milk is also a source of beneficial bacteria… so in a nutshell, all of yer ma’s naughty bits are good for you lol

[quote]Yogi wrote:
haha, I’ve heard about that. The fucked up thing is faecal transplants totally work! I’ve seen a study that had two groups of mice - one normal weight with a healthy gut microbiome, the other obese and with a fucked up gut microbiome - and they got the obese mice to lose all the extra weight just be feeding them the turd of the mice with the healthy microbiome!

Grossly fascinating stuff[/quote]

Ha! “Eat shit, get lean”, but is it Paleo?

[quote]Yogi wrote:
3 kids, mate what were you thinking? You big Irish Catholic families…[/quote]

Ha religion has nothing to do with it :wink:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
So I’ve just finished the second week of my protocol to nuke my (self diagnosed) SIBO. For those of you who didn’t get the memo, the protocol is:

-0.2ml enteric coated peppermint oil
-1200mg monolaurin
-400mg berberine
-1200mg N Acetyl Cysteine

(some days I take glutamine but I don’t always remember)

…[/quote]

Great info!

Fecal transplants are amazing stuff: http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/26/health/fecal-transplant/

If you’ve ever witnessed a birth you will understand this concept in all its glory.

I’ve often wondered about DIY FT’s and sure enough youtube came up trumps!

Now to figure out who’s got a clean arse, iron guts, lives in a hermetically sealed bubble, and not infected with the Rage Virus…

[quote]Yogi wrote:

That is so messed up[/quote]

Not just that, you also get a coating of vaginal microbes that protects you against allergies. I was Caesarian and have eczema, which is apparently typical for kids born through C-sections. Then breast milk is also a source of beneficial bacteria… so in a nutshell, all of yer ma’s naughty bits are good for you lol
[/quote]

Ok ok, now let us never speak of this again

had to grab a pre-made whey protein shake the other day at work because I was so busy.

No gastric distress at all! Things are definitely changing for the better

Have any of you guys who have issues with whey tried the hydrolysed stuff?

Depends on what you mean by issues. Protein powders always subdue my mood, be it whey, casein pea protein.