Gut Health! Sort of a Log

Goat (and sheep) milk is easier to digest then most cows milk, as it is A2 milk. Only some cows are A2.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
Great bump, Yogi.

I re-read the thread and back on page 6 and 7 there was some discussion about how best to get probiotics into the small intestine unmolested by stomach acid.

As was mentioned, taking the probiotics on an empty stomach is important. Then, consume at least 500mL of water to encourage stomach emptying. This will give your tiny little beasties the best chance of making it into the small intestine where they can do some good.

[/quote]

yo Dr P,

I read somewhere the other day (think it might have been Marks Daily Apple) about taking your probiotic with a little bit of resistant starch. Apparently the starch helps it survive the acidic environment and make its way to where it’s needed.

[quote]Mr. AWEstomy wrote:
Goat (and sheep) milk is easier to digest then most cows milk, as it is A2 milk. Only some cows are A2.[/quote]

supposedly the fermentation process involved in making kefir or whatever neutralises the lactose and other allergens that mean people can’t tolerate dairy. I can’t comment on that as I’ve not tried it yet and only get issues with milk if I drink a shitload.

Great bump Yogi and some great added info, will definitely be researching what you just wrote.

I’m in a similar situation to yourself and currently I’m taking RS in the form of green bananas or green plantains wizzed up in 500ml of homemade keifer. I let it sit there so the probiotics adhere to the RS. The keifer is a commercial standarized polish product that came in a 1 litre carton ready to drink. Anyway I had some left over and decided to add it to some organic milk and within a couple of hours the milk had turned into keifer! Happy Days! I’ve been doing this for a week now just topping up the bottle with fresh milk and so far so good the keifer is chugging along nicely. Things in the cake hole dept. have solidified up nicely but I’m not quite there yet. I got myself some L Glutamine as prescribed by Berardi many moons ago in his gut healing protocol.

Previously I tried bitters, saurkraut, sourdough etc and thinking back I should have done all of this together but life gets in the way if you know what I mean…

Anyway I got my hands on some LP299v but my wife is taking it (another issue) and because its very expensive I’m leaving it for her. So right now I am looking into inoculating organic milk with a capsule and see what happens? If I can culture LP299v then I’m in business!

I was looking to get RS from Bob Red Mills over the tinternet but I am in Eire and the stuff has cranked up in price since everyone jumped on the same bleedin bandwagon so I’m looking into sourcing some Fufu flour down in the Asian Shop where I get my Plantains.

The guys over at freetheanimal.com do fantastic info on all this.

Keeps us posted!

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:
I’m looking into sourcing some Fufu flour down in the Asian Shop where I get my Plantains.
[/quote]

Check out west African markets if you have any by you. It’s also readily available on Amazon.

Ok, If i ever gave a good piece of advice on t nation it is this: look into berberine. Reduced my bloat, inflammation and improved my insulin sensitivity. It restored my four pack within the space of two weeks! The two lower abs are surfacing slowly, it is like a day and night sort of difference. I KNEW I COULDN’T POSSIBLY BE THAT FAT, the bloat/inflammation can really derail your physique goal. I used 3x 400 mg berberine hcl (got the cheapest brand).

I know it sounds too good to be true but it certainly worked for me.

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:
Great bump Yogi and some great added info, will definitely be researching what you just wrote.

I’m in a similar situation to yourself and currently I’m taking RS in the form of green bananas or green plantains wizzed up in 500ml of homemade keifer. I let it sit there so the probiotics adhere to the RS. The keifer is a commercial standarized polish product that came in a 1 litre carton ready to drink. Anyway I had some left over and decided to add it to some organic milk and within a couple of hours the milk had turned into keifer! Happy Days! I’ve been doing this for a week now just topping up the bottle with fresh milk and so far so good the keifer is chugging along nicely. Things in the cake hole dept. have solidified up nicely but I’m not quite there yet. I got myself some L Glutamine as prescribed by Berardi many moons ago in his gut healing protocol.

Previously I tried bitters, saurkraut, sourdough etc and thinking back I should have done all of this together but life gets in the way if you know what I mean…

Anyway I got my hands on some LP299v but my wife is taking it (another issue) and because its very expensive I’m leaving it for her. So right now I am looking into inoculating organic milk with a capsule and see what happens? If I can culture LP299v then I’m in business!

I was looking to get RS from Bob Red Mills over the tinternet but I am in Eire and the stuff has cranked up in price since everyone jumped on the same bleedin bandwagon so I’m looking into sourcing some Fufu flour down in the Asian Shop where I get my Plantains.

The guys over at freetheanimal.com do fantastic info on all this.

Keeps us posted!
[/quote]

good to hear things are improving for you.

I’ve actually dropped the RS and won’t add it back in until my gut’s a little healthier and can tolerate it.

[quote]juverulez wrote:
Ok, If i ever gave a good piece of advice on t nation it is this: look into berberine. Reduced my bloat, inflammation and improved my insulin sensitivity. It restored my four pack within the space of two weeks! The two lower abs are surfacing slowly, it is like a day and night sort of difference. I KNEW I COULDN’T POSSIBLY BE THAT FAT, the bloat/inflammation can really derail your physique goal. I used 3x 400 mg berberine hcl (got the cheapest brand).

I know it sounds too good to be true but it certainly worked for me.[/quote]

that’s excellent man. Berberine’s going to be a part of my healing protocol so I’m glad it’s worked out for you

I’d never heard of berberine 'til just now.

According to the wiki page it does just about everything but wash you car and make your morning coffee. I’ll definitely try it out.

Do you think by improving your gut health, you could help fat loss, specifically targeted fat loss. I’m pretty lean but can’t seem to get rid of abdominal fat. If I cut my calories even more I know I’ll lose muscle.

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:
Do you think by improving your gut health, you could help fat loss, specifically targeted fat loss. I’m pretty lean but can’t seem to get rid of abdominal fat. If I cut my calories even more I know I’ll lose muscle.[/quote]

I’m of the opinion that yes, it absolutely will.

There’s been a lot of anecdotal reports of improved body composition just from the addition of resistant starch to the diet. I reckon that adding the resistant starch alone was enough for these people to get their gut health on track, but others (like myself) will need a more aggressive approach.

However you do it, I definitely think that improving gut health will mprove body composition, and I also reckon it’ll help muscle gain too. I mean, why wouldn’t it? If you’re better at assimilating nutrients and digesting your macros, surely that has got to aid muscle buiilding, fat loss, etc.

Gut health is slowly becoming an obsession of mine…

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:
I’m looking into sourcing some Fufu flour down in the Asian Shop where I get my Plantains.
[/quote]

Check out west African markets if you have any by you. It’s also readily available on Amazon.
[/quote]

Cheers for that. I forgot there is an African shop in town, albeit a small out of the way place where Africans can get their traditional staples. Although the Asian shop carries everything a non-european may want. The problem with buying flours in these shops are the products have the same names but the ingredients differ from country to country eg FouFou flour from Nigeria is made from yams! Plus everything is in a different language and the guy running the place can’t understand what the fook I am saying fakkk lol

Anyway I am not risking eating some powdered shite only to find out its actually wallpaper paste from outer mongolia and now my hole is welded shut.

But your advice did give me the bright idea of asking a Nigerian lady I know, so now to find her and ask her where I might get some green plantain flour

[quote]Yogi wrote:
I’ve actually dropped the RS and won’t add it back in until my gut’s a little healthier and can tolerate it.
[/quote]

Why not try green bananas or green plantains instead? The guy over at bulletproof coffee suggested that raw potato starch is inflammatory anyway (idk?) so the banana route may be a lot better plus you get the added benefit of it being a real food packed with nutrients!

Btw inoculating milk with LP229v didn’t work for shite, maybe it needs another medium, RS solution maybe idk? But thats the end of that experiment…I’ll stick with keifer and green nana’s instead, much simpler :slight_smile:

Bring on some turtle heads lol

…that sounded kinda poofy didn’t it…I’ll retract that…that sounded even more poofy…fak it I’m digging a hole, a big hairy one lol

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:
…that sounded kinda poofy didn’t it…[/quote]

I think you’re alright as long as the turtle’s head is poking out, rather than in.

got my kefir going on the counter. I had a glass yesterday and it didn’t taste bad at all for milk that had been sitting out 24 hours. I need some bigger jars though since the kefir grains will multiply.

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:
Btw inoculating milk with LP229v didn’t work for shite, maybe it needs another medium, RS solution maybe idk? But thats the end of that experiment…I’ll stick with keifer and green nana’s instead, much simpler :slight_smile:

Bring on some turtle heads lol

…that sounded kinda poofy didn’t it…I’ll retract that…that sounded even more poofy…fak it I’m digging a hole, a big hairy one lol [/quote]

but I’ve already got the PS!

I’ve not read that about it being inflammatory, and it’s recommended pretty much everywhere so I think I’ll just stick with it for now. I did read that if your bacteria aren’t up to snuff yet (which mine clearly are not) then you need to wait a little while before you use it.

Once I’ve had a week or two of nuking the evil bacteria with the army of supps I’ve amassed (dropped about a hundred bucks on supps this week!) I’ll start drinking a kefir/potato starch/psyllium/SBO probiotic cocktail before bed every night. I’m sure it’ll be scrumptious

[quote]StevenF wrote:
got my kefir going on the counter. I had a glass yesterday and it didn’t taste bad at all for milk that had been sitting out 24 hours. I need some bigger jars though since the kefir grains will multiply. [/quote]

any digestive issues from it? Apparently if you do too much too soon you’re in for a bad time…

not that I’m aware of took a nasty #2 yesterday though…

I have been eating Kefir for many years now and have recommended quite often on here instead of bottled Probiotics which I believe to be crap. I however do not like drinking it. What I do is leave out a few large mason jars (I have a lot of grains) for 1-2 days then remove the grains. I then strain the kefir which will now be pretty thick overnight or for another day using either large coffee filters or a fine cheese cloth. What you are left with is thick Kefir cheese, it is awesome. You can throw away the whey are use it.

I also make water kefir using sugar water or coconut water not as good but, good alternative for those who do not eat dairy.

• I have also made kefir using coconut milk but, it gets this weird sour/bitter flavor do not recommend.