Gut Health! Sort of a Log

[quote]dannyrat wrote:

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:

[quote]dannyrat wrote:
Food

Since a) dieting b) trying to eat only positive foods, I’ve really restricted what I eat. What I eat:

I do the same thing as slainge with oats+buckwheat, specifically:
In a bowl, combine 1:4 ratio of buckwheat:oats, mixed about, then add 50% of total weight in lemon juice (so e.g. 20g buckwheat, 80g oats, 50g lemon juice) then add boiling water which just about covers the mix. Cover and leave for 24 hrs (I prepare before bed then ‘carb backload’ the next evening afterr training. I eat mine with raspberries, banana, coconut oil and cocoa. It is delicious.
Chicken and spinach salads with apple cider vinegar, olive oil. 2-3 of these a day
Brown rice
Potatoes
Fish oil

And for now, that’s pretty much it, except for refeeds which are usually snackajack, frosties and rice krispie squares oriented affairs :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Hey Danny.

Where did you get the info for the oats n buckwheat?

My understanding of the process is as follows…

One serving of oats plus a tablespoon of buckwheat (I usually add more) in warm water with a teaspoon of lemon juice (or whey (the yogurt variety)) and leaving it covered in a warm place for 12 - 24 hours. By adding boiling water you are potentially destroying the phytase in the buckwheat which is necessary to neutralise the phytic acid in the oats. A great resource for all this is contained in the book Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig (John Meadows swears by Mary Enigs book on fats n Oils).

You should try adding in an egg or two when cooking the oat mixture on a medium to low heat, continuously stirring so as not to scramble the eggs. You’ll get a custard like consistency and it wont be eggy especially if you are using mashed banana, coconut oil and cocoa.

Look up no oats oatmeal for an alternative recipe http://mealplan.primalblueprint.com/recipe/no-oat-oatmeal/

Making good food takes time and effort, which I have slowly come to understand esp. now that I have kids and I want the best for them.[/quote]

Hello mate, thanks for that. As to what I said, I was at work, and basically, chatting shit. I agree. I actually ‘bring water towards the boil’ but it’s definitely hotter than warm (at first, since I leave it for a during, during which time it obviously cools) but not actually boiling. I can’t recall where I read it first, Lipski’s Digestive Wellness maybe? And as to the lemon juice, I’m sure a but more acidity will help (and is delicious). Glad I’m not the only nut with random bowls full of oats in the cupboard! My housemates think it’s weird…but they are on the red bull/bread/chicken kiev diet…notworking too well so IDK what they think[/quote]

Lol yeh having bowls of stuff around the kitchen brewin n a bubblin does look a bit odd to the uninitiated but what they hey we know better! If you can tolerate that much lemon then more power to ya because its great stuff and yes more acidity is best

I was being sarcastic about the spitting in the blender stuff!! ahha. I guess if it works tho…?

I’m going to try out the buckwheat/oats thing. First I will do the kraut mentioned earlier probably next week. I need to procure some more glass jars. Mine are all used up for kefir

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:
I was being sarcastic about the spitting in the blender stuff!! ahha. I guess if it works tho…?

I’m going to try out the buckwheat/oats thing. First I will do the kraut mentioned earlier probably next week. I need to procure some more glass jars. Mine are all used up for kefir[/quote]

Ya bollox’ ya got me to divulge my most inner secret’ now all I feel is shame…lol

The ginger carrot kraut will be ready Sunday morning. The top of the jar has already expanded with the brew inside. If it’s successful I’m going all out and doing a garlic, onion, cabbage and spice concoction inspired by this lady

Btw I ain’t got MS (thank God) but the info contained in this vid is great

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:

I’m gona make this stuff today ginger carrots

4 carrots grated, tightly packed
1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
1 tbsp sea salt
4 tbsp whey (the yogurt kind) or if you dont have this 1 additional tbsp sea salt

In a bowl pound the crap out of all of it to release the juices. Put into a mason jar. Press down until the juiices cover the carrots. Leave 1 inch between carrots and top of the jar. Cover tightly and leave in room temp for 3 days before popping into the fridge.

I’ ll let you know how it goes…
[/quote]

After 3 days I tasted it and it was far to salty (I didn’t have any whey so I used 2 tbsp of sea salt). There was a slight tang to it, which is what you are looking for. Anyway I doubled up on the carrots and ginger and put it all into a larger jar. I checked it yesterday (2 extra days) and the whole thing was fizzing! Had a taste and its great. Fired it into the fridge, happy days.

Its actually a piece of piss to make, well worth a go for those interested.

Great thread, I have this problem that started a couple weeks ago where whenever I consume bread,oatmeal or vegetables (fibrous foods?) an hour later I start getting severe abdominal pains that last a couple hours. Last week I just ate meats,eggs, and dairy and was fine but today I had some toast for breakfast and it was back to the pain. I was wondering if anyone else has had something similar and what it was. and in b4 everyone tells me to go to the doctor but I’d like some opinions her first.

Thanks.

[quote]Gogeta4X wrote:
Great thread, I have this problem that started a couple weeks ago where whenever I consume bread,oatmeal or vegetables (fibrous foods?) an hour later I start getting severe abdominal pains that last a couple hours. Last week I just ate meats,eggs, and dairy and was fine but today I had some toast for breakfast and it was back to the pain. I was wondering if anyone else has had something similar and what it was. and in b4 everyone tells me to go to the doctor but I’d like some opinions her first.

Thanks.[/quote]

Are you currently over stressed? Digestion can be severely compromised during periods of high stress.

Are you recovering from an illness, taking any meds etc. this may have compromised you digestive status.

The bread and oats I can understand - check out gluten and issues around that.

Veggies? Are there any particular veggies that set you off? Cauliflower, Broccoli, cabbage and other cruciferous vegetables can give you gas, which may cause pain.

Are you eating raw veggies? If so, the cellulose in them may cause some discomfort as you may lack the enzyme to properly digest them.

Are you cooking your veggies in salty water or adding salt to them or using a salty / gluten containing sauce on them? That may be the cause of your problems.

Basically foods typically high in certain polysaccharides (especially oligosaccharides such as inulin) like onions, garlic, oats, wheat, yeast in breads, and some vegetables can be resistant to digestion, but are readily digested by microorganisms that inhabit the digestive tract. These oligosaccharides pass through the upper intestine largely unchanged, and when these reach the lower intestine, bacteria feed on them, producing lots of gas which may cause you pain.

The solution: identify the culprits then stop eating them. Gradually re-introduce the offenders, one at a time and see how you go. If all else fails use some of the advice in this thread to improve digestion

Thanks alot SLAINGE for your response, appreciate it. Yeah, I’ve sort of come to the same solution as you have hopefully after some time I’ll be able to eat what I was eating before. It’s just strange that out of no where these foods started to bother me. I’m not really under much stress so I don’t think that could be the culprit and I haven’t been sick or take any meds at all so check that off.

Well, about the veggies they were just boiled carrots that I do add some seasoning to the water and some avocado(fruit?). No problems with any fruits btw (bananas,strawberries,limes). I’ll definitely be checking up on this thread and try to get some probiotics other than the yogurt I’ve started eating every day since this started. Thanks again!

I just added kefir and kimchi to my nutrition, I am curious to see what (if any) changes I might see.

[quote]Gogeta4X wrote:
Thanks alot SLAINGE for your response, appreciate it. Yeah, I’ve sort of come to the same solution as you have hopefully after some time I’ll be able to eat what I was eating before. It’s just strange that out of no where these foods started to bother me. I’m not really under much stress so I don’t think that could be the culprit and I haven’t been sick or take any meds at all so check that off.

Well, about the veggies they were just boiled carrots that I do add some seasoning to the water and some avocado(fruit?). No problems with any fruits btw (bananas,strawberries,limes). I’ll definitely be checking up on this thread and try to get some probiotics other than the yogurt I’ve started eating every day since this started. Thanks again![/quote]

It’s mostly trial and error with diet but no problem, your welcome!

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
I just added kefir and kimchi to my nutrition, I am curious to see what (if any) changes I might see.[/quote]

I been eating fermented carrots and ginger for 3 days now and have noticed a difference. Considering I am not getting any sleep (baby number 3) I am really impressed so far. Got myself some bitters today and will be adding them in also.

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
I just added kefir and kimchi to my nutrition, I am curious to see what (if any) changes I might see.[/quote]

I been eating fermented carrots and ginger for 3 days now and have noticed a difference. Considering I am not getting any sleep (baby number 3) I am really impressed so far. Got myself some bitters today and will be adding them in also. [/quote]

I slept better, noticeably better. I also woke up with more energy and more amped for my morning workout. I also like the taste of kimchi as well, so this is pure win if it sticks.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

Be careful what the starter culture is composed of. Non-commensal flora tend not to be destructive because they won’t attach to the epithelium, however certain strains of bacillus form spores and these are as of yet under investigated with regards to effect on gut flora.

I got some bitters, used them
They went mouldy, I didn’t notice
I noticed. My throat was fucked up for days

Silly boy. Ginger root and betaine hcl ftw imo

[quote]dannyrat wrote:
I got some bitters, used them
They went mouldy, I didn’t notice
I noticed. My throat was fucked up for days

Silly boy. Ginger root and betaine hcl ftw imo[/quote]

Yea, they are supposed to be refrigerated. You can try a tincture (containing alcohol) which will help with that.

PS in further adventures of a stupid idiot, a warning:
Do not overdose on zinc. Somewhat on the recommendation of my mum, I upped my zinc intake over the last few days. I took 2x50mg for a few days, felt no ill effects, so upped to 3x50mg. Fuck. Massive GI problem,.among other things. Not cool

I always wondered how much zinc was too much…

Bumping this awesome thread

Bubbies brand sauerkraut with some sriracha on it is pretty fuckin’ delicious.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

I been eating fermented carrots and ginger for 3 days now and have noticed a difference. Considering I am not getting any sleep (baby number 3) I am really impressed so far. Got myself some bitters today and will be adding them in also. [/quote]

I slept better, noticeably better. I also woke up with more energy and more amped for my morning workout. I also like the taste of kimchi as well, so this is pure win if it sticks. [/quote]

It’s been over 2 weeks now using bitters and fermented veggies and I have to say my digestion has improved tremendously! Basically I have gone from loose stools to sold logs - sorry for the ‘shit’ images!

I would simply eat a tablespoon of fermented veggies with big meals or add them to salads or on sarnies. I would also take the bitters before big meals. I was never very strict with this but I would do it at least once a day. I can only imagine how things may improve once I start making cabbage kraut using garlic, onions, turmeric etc.

Btw I don’t eat wheat and avoid gluten containing foods. I still have room for improvement but I am very happy with the results so far esp. considering I didn’t purchase any digestive enzymes, glutamine, probiotics etc.

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

I slept better, noticeably better. I also woke up with more energy and more amped for my morning workout. I also like the taste of kimchi as well, so this is pure win if it sticks. [/quote]

It’s been over 2 weeks now using bitters and fermented veggies and I have to say my digestion has improved tremendously! Basically I have gone from loose stools to sold logs - sorry for the ‘shit’ images!

I would simply eat a tablespoon of fermented veggies with big meals or add them to salads or on sarnies. I would also take the bitters before big meals. I was never very strict with this but I would do it at least once a day. I can only imagine how things may improve once I start making cabbage kraut using garlic, onions, turmeric etc.

Btw I don’t eat wheat and avoid gluten containing foods. I still have room for improvement but I am very happy with the results so far esp. considering I didn’t purchase any digestive enzymes, glutamine, probiotics etc.[/quote]
Slainge I have been having raw ginger,Kimchi and Kraut before all meals for about a month or so and I’ve had the same good results as yourself.The only thing I haven’t tried but have Is the bitters.How are they working out for ya and I can’t remember what they were supposed to do actually.