Gut Check Exercises

girlfriend floor press:
lay on your back on the floor, have your girl(or your obese uncle if you’re strong enough) stand on your palms, and press. the toughest part is the swaying as she tries to keep her balance.

Anything overhead and I look like a little bitch.

Other than that, well, this one’s not really a strength exercise but it should be somewhere in the definition of gut check:

400 meter sprints.

Nothing makes me want to say no mas like sets of hard 400 meter runs.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
Three words: 20…rep…squats

(suprised this one hasn’t been said)[/quote]

This is the one for me. While it is certainly a physical challenge to complete 20-rep squats with a decent weight, the mental aspect is the real challenge to doing this. Once you get to 15, the legs say we are not going to do this again. The mind has to take over. Separates the men from the boys.

Jog-sprintgs with a work ratio of about 1:1 are pretty nasty.

Tabatas on the StairMaster (not the machine with 2 pedals, but the actual moving escalator style)

EVERY lift.
Everyday Im reminded that I am not as strong as I want to be or should be. Thats what keeps me coming back everyday.

You have to try Bear season on this site. It will truly make you puke!

[quote]carter12 wrote:

400 meter sprints.

Nothing makes me want to say no mas like sets of hard 400 meter runs.[/quote]

Oh, ditto that. Those blow chunks!

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
What exercises have you ever done that really were a gut check to you. Where you thought you were strong but then realized otherwise when trying to do that exercise.

I have a few:

1- Overhead squats with chains, talk about “functional”. I’d still be doing them but I really cant support barbell shit overhead right now. The unstability it provides is nuts.

2- Kneeling Jumps. Wow, and I thought I was explosive. Talk about a gut check. Turns out I have to fucking concentrate on exploding like a Shaolin Monk. First time I got smoked with the 45lb bar… Finally got the gist of it and I got up to ninety… I can do 155, But I work with like 115-125 to really focus on speed.

Holy hell, fuck power cleans that shit is crazy.

3- Anything with bands. Again, I thought I was fast shrug. Most killer is snatch pulls with bands. jesus titty fucking christ, explosion is an understandment…

[/quote]

any chance that you can post a video of the kneeling jumps

would be great to see

also why do you think that 155 is bad?

Complexes (circuits without putting the weight down) are really hard too.
SG Deads and Pistols are also between the most humbling movements.

[quote]Chris Aus wrote:
Any chance that you can post a video of the kneeling jumps

would be great to see

also why do you think that 155 is bad?[/quote]

I think he means these, without the second jump.

[quote]vision1 wrote:
Chris Aus wrote:
Any chance that you can post a video of the kneeling jumps

would be great to see

also why do you think that 155 is bad?

I think he means these, without the second jump.[/quote]

Yup, those minus the second jump. A GREAT “holy shit” exercise is Bulgarian Split Squats using a bar with chains. You’ll need some help or else you’ll fall and hurt yourself.

Just started using the hook grip on my ol’s and that was pretty tough at first.

Full squat jerks like chinese weightlifters do are scary. It’s a long way down! First time I did one with a heavy(ish) weight I got into the full squat before locking out my elbows, so the weight came speeding down and I was only just able to press it back into lockout… I can do them no problem but I don’t bother because the split jerk is so much easier. It gives much better balance with the weight above your head

I own over head squats :), well good enough to get off the bottom with anything I get under.

Hardest exercise is a Snatch balance for me. Doing it fast and with maximal weights. Going to work on this. Should get nearer my Snatch. Can’t believe anyone can do more weight on a Snatch balance then a full Snatch…

Koing

Board pushes, Farmers walks, Wall sits with weights, 2v1 wrestling, tire flips, all these we did for football on “Gut Check Fridays” in the offseason.

Tiger bend press. I find it hard to believe that anyone can even do one.