T Nation

Gunsmith in Ontario Crushed by 'Big Brother'

Basically this guy wanted to publicly fight for gun rights. Never hurt a fly, was above board with his intentions the entire time, but still ended up going to jail for 18 months. He is also never allowed to own a weapon again. He was a hunter his whole life, and he made his livelihood as a gunsmith. 2 years later, well after his sentence was served the government told him that they want to take his house, that he built with his bare hands.

They have laws written that make all of this perfectly legal, and he has learned first hand how hard it is to stand up for anything.

I hate to say it, but you probably would get more response if this had happened in the U.S.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
I hate to say it, but you probably would get more response if this had happened in the U.S. [/quote]

I don’t think any one cares . This board at time lacks empathy . It is seen as a weakness :slight_smile:

Perhaps no one cares because he deliberately put himself in this position to begin with. Forget about how Draconian these laws are (and they do seem overly harsh and strict, to say the least). The guy willingly let his licenses expire and flaunted the laws. It doesn’t really matter how fucked up the laws are. He knew what they were, he willingly broke them and now he is paying the price, however overly steep it may be.

Is what happened to him fucked up? Of course. It seems like the judicial system practically bent over backwards trying to make an example of him. But it seems to me that he at least partially wanted to be made an example of. He certainly knowingly put himself in position to be made an example of. And now he’s going to reap what he sowed.

I mean, let’s say that jaywalking was a felony offense and punishable by up to five years in prison. That’s totally fucked up, but if I’m going to protest the harshness of that punishment by repeatedly jaywalking, do I really deserve any sympathy when I get arrested and thrown in the slammer for five years? Not really, no. There are other ways to fight and protest against these sort of overboard laws and regulations without making yourself a martyr. This guy chose the martyr route and now he IS a martyr. It’s almost as if he got exactly what he was specifically asking for. He’ll certainly bring more attention to the issue.