Gunslingers & The Dark Tower

As I’ve been perusing this site I’ve noticed a few references to Stephen King’s The Dark Tower series (much to my delight).

I’m wondering how many of you T-Nationers are also fans (I think Shugs is even a fan)and what your thoughts are on the way King ended the series.

I personally loved it and thought the ending was fitting but would love to discuss this further.

I’ve read all 7 books twice and I’ve read the first 4 books at least three times each as I waited for each new installment.

Because of the way the Dark Tower ends in book 7 I felt compelled to read the entire series all over again from the very beginning.

Anyways, I look forward to meeting fellow fans!

Alex

I liked the ending, even if it was depressing to know Roland will never be able to enjoy anything.

I haven’t read those but will eventually. I think King is a great writer and definitely one of my favorites.

Too many books. It was too long.

I thought he dragged things out but that is Steven Kings way.

Ending was cool.

I stopped reading the series after King wrote himself into it. Worst. Move. Ever.

What are the references on this site?

I’ve read almost all of King’s books, and this series was definitely my favorite.

I think he ended it perfectly. I remember sitting on the shitter in shock, re-reading the last few pages over and over.

Writing himself in was an interesting move, but reminds me of how the creator of the Conan series was quoted saying Conan was in the room with him, forcing him to write the stories.

Then the dude killed himself a few years later. Go figure.

The Dark Tower series, and all its spin-offs, will always remain a favorite on my shelf.

I thought books one and two were the best, but i did enjoy the entire storyline. Just a little too much drudgery through the 4th 5th and 6th books. The ending i loved, it kind of made sense of alot of the things throughout the rest of the series.

I have tried to get several people interested in it and it seems most people have a hard enough time committing to one book, its sad really.

If you like the books maybe you’d like the songs from Demon’s and Wizards off the album “Touched By The Crimson King”.

It’s based entirely on the series. It’s a joint project by the bands Blind Guardian and Iced Earth if you know who those are.
Very metalish instruments and almost medieval voice (no other way to described it). Check it out the band is really good IMO.

IMHO the first four books were the best, the fifth and sixth was just ok and the last book was pretty well done.

I love how he references the Crimson King from “The Stand” and Bratigan from “Hearts in Atlantis” but I failed to see the connection to “Insomnia”.

I didn’t have any major problems with King writing himself in though I did think he might be running out of ideas when that happened.

Even though King’s books converted to movies usually suck I wouldn’t mind if they attempted to make a movie out of the entire Dark Tower series.

Of course the only person I could ever envision doing Roland of Gilead any justice is far too old to play the part now…of course I refer to Clint Eastwood.

[quote]charbreath wrote:
What are the references on this site?

I’ve read almost all of King’s books, and this series was definitely my favorite.

I think he ended it perfectly. I remember sitting on the shitter in shock, re-reading the last few pages over and over. [/quote]

Shugart wrote an article and talks about listening to the audio tapes and I’ve seen other posts where people are like, “Hile Gunslinger!” and “thankee-sai”

[quote]fallout188 wrote:
If you like the books maybe you’d like the songs from Demon’s and Wizards off the album “Touched By The Crimson King”.

It’s based entirely on the series. It’s a joint project by the bands Blind Guardian and Iced Earth if you know who those are.
Very metalish instruments and almost medieval voice (no other way to described it). Check it out the band is really good IMO.[/quote]

if they sound anything like Metallica I’m sure I’d love them…

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I haven’t read those but will eventually. I think King is a great writer and definitely one of my favorites.[/quote]

yes King is also one of my all time favorites.

Have you read anything under his pseudonym Richard Bachman?

He wrote a few impressivley twisted little short stories called “Rage”, “The Long Walk”, “Shawshank Redemption” & “The Running Man”.

You remember Arnold in that old movie “The Running Man”? Well it was based off of King’s story.

Same goes for Shawshank Redemption…another King original.

King is the man…

I got about 100-150 pages through the first book and dropped it out of boredom. I just really could not get into it. One of these days I’ll pick it up again, because I’ve heard a lot of good things.

[quote]FFB4Life wrote:

He wrote a few impressivley twisted little short stories called “Rage”, “The Long Walk”, “Shawshank Redemption” & “The Running Man”.

[/quote]

And “Roadwork”.

[quote]Leafblighter wrote:
I got about 100-150 pages through the first book and dropped it out of boredom. I just really could not get into it. One of these days I’ll pick it up again, because I’ve heard a lot of good things. [/quote]

sacrilege!!!

lol…j/k…but that’s the first time I’ve ever heard that.

But I realize it’s not going to be everyone’s cup of tea.

[quote]FFB4Life wrote:

[/quote]

Those are some of the stories I liked best. The collection of them I have has been read so many times that it looks beat up…well read…but beat up. I just like the way he describes things.

Everyone can’t do it like that.

I thought the ending was horrible, the last 2 books I didnt enjoy as much as the rest. I agree that writing himself into it brought it down a bit, I loved the series though. King is an awesome author, I’ve got shelves full of his books

The Regulators is great.
So is The Stand.
'Salem’s Lot… The Dark Half… Needful Things, Insomnia, Tommyknockers…

I have bought a lot of his books. The wait after “Wizard and Glass” was a bad move. The longer the wait, the more spectacular one expected the next installment. That did not happen. The following books were good, but not waiting ten years good.

He has a great imagination, but I fear it has been wrung dry.

I just started The Gunslinger a few days ago and I love it so far. Should finish up tomorrow. I skipped most of this thread so I wouldn’t see any spoilers.