Gunshot vs Blunt Object

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
If you swing a baseball bat as hard as you can toward someone, no matter where you make contact you’re likely going to incapacitate that person. Unless you’re a fucking soccer player who’s never held a real wooden baseball bat in their hands before. I would think that in Europe the gunshot fatality rate is much higher.

But here in America where we know how to kill people with bats, I can see why the bat would have a higher fatality rate. If you swing a bat really, really hard at someone, with the type of fury and prejudice that can only come from having your life threatened or from the sort of raging mindset that drives someone to kill someone else with a bat, then any direct blow will pretty much incapacitate the other person long enough for you to kill him at your leisure.

Not so with a gun shot. They’re loud and draw too much attention when fired multiple times. They also go off on accident during fights, which lessens the chance of a gunshot wound being fatal. Bats don’t go off on accident; they go off with one explicit intent behind them: physical mayhem.[/quote]

All romanticism aside about your love of the bat :), would you prefer to be hit by a bat, or shot with a gun?

I feel pretty good about my chances of taking a bat from someone. I can close the gap in the striking zone faster than you can swing. Then your ass is mine. And if you felt the need to pick up a bat, you probably don’t want me on you. Right?

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
(however, I would not want to bring a bat to a gunfight!).[/quote]

This.

Because I forgot to add, you pull a bat on me, and you just gave me license to use deadly force. I can shoot you in the “batters box” (assuming I’m armed). But I can also stab you. I think I’d take the knife. In a fight, assuming I see you coming, I can close the gap before you can hit a home run. Bat loses. Badly.

[quote]imhungry wrote:
What is this, the Detroit version of “Rock, Paper, scissors”?

Except it’s “Gun, Baseball Bat, Bodybag”?[/quote]

Lol

[quote]imhungry wrote:
What is this, the Detroit version of “Rock, Paper, scissors”?

Except it’s “Gun, Baseball Bat, Bodybag”?[/quote]

I’m going to change my screename to imnothungry

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
If you swing a baseball bat as hard as you can toward someone, no matter where you make contact you’re likely going to incapacitate that person. Unless you’re a fucking soccer player who’s never held a real wooden baseball bat in their hands before. I would think that in Europe the gunshot fatality rate is much higher.

But here in America where we know how to kill people with bats, I can see why the bat would have a higher fatality rate. If you swing a bat really, really hard at someone, with the type of fury and prejudice that can only come from having your life threatened or from the sort of raging mindset that drives someone to kill someone else with a bat, then any direct blow will pretty much incapacitate the other person long enough for you to kill him at your leisure.

Not so with a gun shot. They’re loud and draw too much attention when fired multiple times. They also go off on accident during fights, which lessens the chance of a gunshot wound being fatal. Bats don’t go off on accident; they go off with one explicit intent behind them: physical mayhem.[/quote]

All romanticism aside about your love of the bat :), would you prefer to be hit by a bat, or shot with a gun?

I feel pretty good about my chances of taking a bat from someone. I can close the gap in the striking zone faster than you can swing. Then your ass is mine. And if you felt the need to pick up a bat, you probably don’t want me on you. Right?[/quote]

Would I rather get shot or beaten with a bat? Jesus, which arm would I rather have cut off? Would I rather be blind or deaf? Which testicle would I rather have smashed with a ballpeen hammer by DarkNinja (both)? Come on.

It all depends. I doubt that you can close the gap within the striking zone quicker than I could get a good shot off to your trachea, groin, face, knee or elbow. I could use it as a stabbing instrument as well as swing it. At that point it simply becomes a matter of whether or not you can deliver a blow that will incapacitate me longer than I can incapacitate you with a bat. I’ll take my chances with a bat over your fists any day. I’m pretty sure I could wear a solid punch from you better than you could wear a solid strike with a bat, especially to any of the aforementioned locations.

Of course, if I REALLY had a choice, I’d take my metal-studded nunchuks. These things are fucking pure maiming machines! If you were within striking distance of me with a pair of THOSE fuckers in my hand, you’re done. Pretty much everyone is done. I’m a licensed instructor so of course I’d be better with them than your average layperson, but the type of people who would actually have nunchuks on them are probably the type who know how to use them.

And if you know how to use nunchuks properly, any close-quarter fighting is going to go very bad for someone with a gun. In fact, we teach and work on using them against someone with knives and/or guns almost exclusively.

You can strike from anywhere with nunchuks, and they carry much more momentum, deliver much more lbs per sq. inch of pressure upon impact and can be used much more quickly than a bat. But none of this means anything. If I get shot in the face or bashed in the face with a bat, my chances of survival are much better with the bat than the gun. But this doesn’t take into account the fact that this is clearly a person trying to kill me, either way.

So while I may be able to take a bat to the face much better than a gunshot, I won’t be taking either one well enough to defend me from further attack, so at that point I’m probably going to die anyways because this is a person who is actively trying to kill me. In this respect, I’d rather be shot than beaten to death with a fucking 31oz/34" Louisville Slugger.

So yeah, if I was defenseless I would rather get shot than hit with a bat. But if I am NOT defenseless, it depends on all sorts of other factors. Where was I shot? Where was I hit with the bat? What sort of weapon(s) do I have? How big is this person? Have I been bulking or cutting? Where and under what circumstances is the confrontation happening?

This.

Because I forgot to add, you pull a bat on me, and you just gave me license to use deadly force. I can shoot you in the “batters box” (assuming I’m armed). But I can also stab you. I think I’d take the knife. In a fight, assuming I see you coming, I can close the gap before you can hit a home run. Bat loses. Badly. [/quote]

I will use a match and a can of air freshener to melt your cool ass.

That actually works. Just hold a match in front of a spray can and shoot it into the flame.

Fuckin flame thrower.

This.

Because I forgot to add, you pull a bat on me, and you just gave me license to use deadly force. I can shoot you in the “batters box” (assuming I’m armed). But I can also stab you. I think I’d take the knife. In a fight, assuming I see you coming, I can close the gap before you can hit a home run. Bat loses. Badly. [/quote]

Bringing a knife into the equation changes things! A well trained person can close the gap from 20’ with a knife before someone can get a shot off with a gun or effectively swing a bat (however there are some non traditional techniques that may be used).

Drawing on personal experience, I’ve had to respond to deadly force aimed at me from all of the above, a gun, a bat and a knife. Regarding the gun, the person shooting at me was not trained, so (not surprisingly) they did not connect with their target under the stress of combat - they missed me. Regarding the bat, as BG illustrated above, it really isn’t very hard to get inside the radius of a swing if you know what you’re doing - I have been attacked by people with bats, tire irons, etc… and the principal is the same.

Your timing and training will determine the outcome. Regarding the knife however, having been stabbed five times, I can assure you that shit SUCKS. I’ve had multiple surgeries on my hand to repair tendon damage from being stabbed (it was either my hand or my neck - easy choice). While the same principals hold true about being able to get inside the attack and they are limited to a degree to certain effective angles of attack, the consequence for a less than flawless defense is much higher. And in real life, no one is perfect all of the time. I DO love my KaBar - can’t ask for much more out of a knife than that.

All that being said, I would STILL not want to bring a knife to a gunfight! LOL

This.

Bringing a knife into the equation changes things! A well trained person can close the gap from 20’ with a knife before someone can get a shot off with a gun or effectively swing a bat (however there are some non traditional techniques that may be used).

Drawing on personal experience, I’ve had to respond to deadly force aimed at me from all of the above, a gun, a bat and a knife. Regarding the gun, the person shooting at me was not trained, so (not surprisingly) they did not connect with their target under the stress of combat - they missed me. Regarding the bat, as BG illustrated above, it really isn’t very hard to get inside the radius of a swing if you know what you’re doing - I have been attacked by people with bats, tire irons, etc… and the principal is the same.

Your timing and training will determine the outcome. Regarding the knife however, having been stabbed five times, I can assure you that shit SUCKS. I’ve had multiple surgeries on my hand to repair tendon damage from being stabbed (it was either my hand or my neck - easy choice). While the same principals hold true about being able to get inside the attack and they are limited to a degree to certain effective angles of attack, the consequence for a less than flawless defense is much higher. And in real life, no one is perfect all of the time. I DO love my KaBar - can’t ask for much more out of a knife than that.

All that being said, I would STILL not want to bring a knife to a gunfight! LOL[/quote]

Are you a cop or something???

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:

This.

That actually works. Just hold a match in front of a spray can and shoot it into the flame.

Fuckin flame thrower.[/quote]

WD-40 with the stiff little red straw nozzle. Check it out. It is awesome.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

This.

[/quote]

How man? What are the instructions for oily bightmare?

[/quote]

This is why I’ve been practicing my draw.

A lot of people can hit a target with 5 minutes of aiming. But the average gun fight is 3-4 rounds in about 2 seconds.

I’ve been practicing speed with very close targets. Quite a different scenario from all the shooting I did growing up.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

This.

[/quote]

How man? What are the instructions for oily bightmare?[/quote]

1. Insert extension (usually comes with can) into the orfice insert of the valve actuator of the aerosol can. see detail drawing ( Aerosol spray - Wikipedia )

2. Point at target while holding away from face and body.

3. Depress valve actuator.

4. Ignite from beneath at base of cone with desired source of ignition. (match, lighter, etc.)

5. Create firey cone of searing death.

6. Go nuts with it.

Note: Since back flow prevention mechanisms are usually not included, be sure to monitor flame distance from combustion point to nozzle. When applicable, a slight upward tilt will move the flame outward, preventing explosion, injury, and possible death. If necessary, the user should stop the flow of accelerant and re-start as per the directions above. Use only manufacturer approved extension nozzles, as others may cause separation from valve actuator.

Always wear your safety goggles.

I’ll take the pack of pitbulls with suicide bombs attached.

[quote]clip11 wrote:

This.

All that being said, I would STILL not want to bring a knife to a gunfight! LOL[/quote]

Are you a cop or something???
[/quote]

Quite the opposite in fact - I grew up in Baltimore (Greenmount / 33rd and Hampden) and was in Prison from age 18 - 22. I pulled my first armed robbery when I was 16…

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

I feel pretty good about my chances of taking a bat from someone. I can close the gap in the striking zone faster than you can swing. Then your ass is mine. And if you felt the need to pick up a bat, you probably don’t want me on you. Right?[/quote]

Would I rather get shot or beaten with a bat? Jesus, which arm would I rather have cut off? Would I rather be blind or deaf? Which testicle would I rather have smashed with a ballpeen hammer by DarkNinja (both)? Come on.

It all depends. I doubt that you can close the gap within the striking zone quicker than I could get a good shot off to your trachea, groin, face, knee or elbow. I could use it as a stabbing instrument as well as swing it. At that point it simply becomes a matter of whether or not you can deliver a blow that will incapacitate me longer than I can incapacitate you with a bat. I’ll take my chances with a bat over your fists any day. I’m pretty sure I could wear a solid punch from you better than you could wear a solid strike with a bat, especially to any of the aforementioned locations.

Of course, if I REALLY had a choice, I’d take my metal-studded nunchuks. These things are fucking pure maiming machines! If you were within striking distance of me with a pair of THOSE fuckers in my hand, you’re done. Pretty much everyone is done. I’m a licensed instructor so of course I’d be better with them than your average layperson, but the type of people who would actually have nunchuks on them are probably the type who know how to use them.

And if you know how to use nunchuks properly, any close-quarter fighting is going to go very bad for someone with a gun. In fact, we teach and work on using them against someone with knives and/or guns almost exclusively.

You can strike from anywhere with nunchuks, and they carry much more momentum, deliver much more lbs per sq. inch of pressure upon impact and can be used much more quickly than a bat. But none of this means anything. If I get shot in the face or bashed in the face with a bat, my chances of survival are much better with the bat than the gun. But this doesn’t take into account the fact that this is clearly a person trying to kill me, either way.

So while I may be able to take a bat to the face much better than a gunshot, I won’t be taking either one well enough to defend me from further attack, so at that point I’m probably going to die anyways because this is a person who is actively trying to kill me. In this respect, I’d rather be shot than beaten to death with a fucking 31oz/34" Louisville Slugger.

So yeah, if I was defenseless I would rather get shot than hit with a bat. But if I am NOT defenseless, it depends on all sorts of other factors. Where was I shot? Where was I hit with the bat? What sort of weapon(s) do I have? How big is this person? Have I been bulking or cutting? Where and under what circumstances is the confrontation happening?[/quote]

okay, I didn’t read all that. Let me just say this; to hit me, you have to swing. To hit me, you have to be within a certain range. It’s not about me “punching” you before you swing your bat, it’s about me closing the distance while or before you swing, and grabbing you. Once I grab you, you and your bat are finished (not YOU literally). Trust me, I know this from experience. You can’t hit me with any force if I’m inside your swing.

And for the record, it’s not a choice between which arm you want to lose. You don’t want to get shot.

smfh…only on the internet could people actually muse about the differences (lol) between getting hit with a bat or getting shot.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Where was I shot? [/quote]

This is another error. Where I’m from, you’re rarely shot just once. Your question is more accurately expressed as “how many times and places was I shot?”

This.

Exactly.

I’m taking a bat from most people.

And yes to the getting stabbed/cut (3x). I had hand surgery to repair nerves on one hand. Remember the doctor telling me post-surgery don’t lift the cast up while you’re laying down (I had a local nerve block instead of general) and sure enough, I’m the dumb ass to do that and the cast comes crashing down toward my head LOL. Guess I’m from Missouri really.

But BG - what about the Maglite???

Shorter than the bat and can be used in either a swinging motion at mid-range or hammerfist motion in close range!

I’m sure I know the answer. I’m just tryin to keep it real! =P

Wear a trenchcoat at all times.

This way, you can conceal a bat, gun, knife and a Gatling gun if necessary.

There are lots of guys in prison sporting 9mm scars. You’ll also see 'em with .40 cal scars and a few with .45 scars. But you RARELY see any of them with .357 mag HP (hollow point) scars and I’ve only heard of ONE guy in the joint with a 12-gauge scar and he was confined to a wheel chair.

This info speaks volumes about the effectiveness of the relative calibers. Slightly OT, but interesting…