Guns - Opinions?

Jzzz the magazine capactiy is individual to the make, and caliber of the gun. Some companies double stack the rounds inside the magazine, making higher capacity, but more prone to jamming, some stay with the single stack for reliability. The higher weight helps hold against recoil/muzzle flip so it actually is a good thing. In fact they make a tungsten recoil rod drop in for most handguns for competition shooting for exactly this reason.

http://www.best9mm.com/

Nice, concise site there to help you make some choices.

I’m not a fan of 9mm anything. I’m forced to carry a 9mm at work and limited to only ball rounds. I’ve seen people and animals take multiple 9mm rounds and keep coming due to the lack of stopping power in the 9mm ball. 9mm frangible rounds or hollow points are a bit more effective, but you still have the stopping power problems associated with small, high velocity round.
No one stays on thier feet after getting hit with .45 ACP.
My home weapon is a springfield armory 1911 long slide. My tax refund is going to go to a Kimber 1911 SIS.
I would go with something smaller if I carried concealed, but I don’t.

haha, I’ve never fired a handgun… thats nice this person obviously hasn’t seen my occupation on my profile lol. SO yes I have fired a handgun… since I was a child actually, and unfortunately I’ve had the pleasure of being on the receiving end, and had to use my weapon because of the city i work in.

I say don’t worry about weight so much for concealed carry bc i told him already to go with something “small and slim”… I don’t know of any small compact handguns that weigh that much, do you?, so i thought common sense made it obvious that a compact gun wouldn’t be heavy. I mean i didnt think the OP was an idiot who needed to be told not to put a Colt Python Down his pants and walk around town.

anyways im done with this thread. later

P.S. agree with BH6, 9mm sucks if your trying to kill something thats trying to kill you.

sorry that first part of my post was direct toward jzzzz not you and no I didn’t look to see what our occupation was. And didn’t see you said keep it small and slim… I darted over to the keep it .40 cal or under. My bad.

I’ve only heard good things about CZ. If you like the way it feels in hand and the way it shoots then purchase it. If 9mm feels like the right round for you then buy it and shoot 9mm. If you want to go with something bigger later on, like .45 ACP, then buy that too. I don’t think a fellow can own too many guns.

Sawn off shotgun. Easy to bring up, and nothing will survive after you fire that motherfucker.

This will actually be my first handgun. I just want to use it mainly for target shooting as I don’t plan on shooting somebody just yet. I will probably get a CCW one of these days and will have a smaller gun for that obviously. I just want to work on accuracy for now and the 9mm rounds are only about $12 for 50 so I believe they are the least expensive.

Go to a range and rent some pistols to shoot. See what you like the best. The first pistol I bought was a SW 9VE. The price was right, but I didn’t like the trigger. I ended up trading up to a Sig in a .40 now I have a 3.9lb trigger and a sweet set of trijicons. Wish I would have just bought it in the first place.

If you’re seriously considering the CCW even if not right now, then buy a gun that you COULD carry because the more experience you have shooting that particular gun you carry the better. All handguns shoot a little differently. But yea, unless you get into reloading than the 9mm would be about the cheapest with 40 and 45 being the next cheapest.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
This will actually be my first handgun. I just want to use it mainly for target shooting as I don’t plan on shooting somebody just yet. I will probably get a CCW one of these days and will have a smaller gun for that obviously. I just want to work on accuracy for now and the 9mm rounds are only about $12 for 50 so I believe they are the least expensive. [/quote]

Why would you need a smaller gun to carry? Are you a small person? I’ve mostly carried a .45 ACP Colt M1911A1 model (5" barrel) or a Springfield XD-45 for about the last 4 years. Occasionally I will carry a smaller Defender 90 (.45acp) or a Khar CW40 when clothing won’t allow for a larger gun. The right belt and holster combination can go along way towards concealment. Also a good shoulder to waist ratio makes larger guns disappear. Another bonus of heavy lifting and a clean diet.

Just got back from a gun show, actually. It was packed! I sold my 9mm Baby Eagle and bought a Mossberg 88. My husband bought a CZ 52, which I’d never heard of, but apparently has pretty impressive penetration.

I don’t have my CCW yet but am planning on carrying the S&W airweight .38.

I have a couple guns and enjoy them very much.The one with the tac light stays under my bed the other goes with me.

how i role

[quote]tveddy wrote:
Go to a range and rent some pistols to shoot. See what you like the best. The first pistol I bought was a SW 9VE. The price was right, but I didn’t like the trigger. I ended up trading up to a Sig in a .40 now I have a 3.9lb trigger and a sweet set of trijicons. Wish I would have just bought it in the first place.[/quote]

This is good advice. Twice now my husband has bought guns that he researched thoroughly and thought he would prefer. When he actually got to firing them he found he didn’t like them, even if they had felt like a “fit” in the hand when looking at them before buying.

This is my sig 226 with pachmeyers and trijicons. I wish I would have gotten the slide in matte black, but it suits its purpose.

[quote]Sick Rick wrote:
Sawn off shotgun. Easy to bring up, and nothing will survive after you fire that motherfucker.[/quote]

Terrible advice. I hope your not serious.

Sawed off shotguns are 100% illegal in the US. In fact, in Georgia, any shotgun with a barrel shorter than 18.5" is illegal.

So in the event that you are forced to use it to stop a home invasion, you turn a legal use of deadly force into a felony and you end up spending many many years in prison. Game over.

If you’re serious about owning a gun, you must research your state’s gun laws just as much as the particular firearm itself.

[quote]tveddy wrote:
This is my sig 226 with pachmeyers and trijicons. I wish I would have gotten the slide in matte black, but it suits its purpose.[/quote]

I’m going to buy a handgun within the next month, and I really like the Sig P226.

Right now I’m torn between the sig and a Springfield XD. Both w/ .45 ACP.

Reliablity, accuracy and control are the factors I am placing the most emphasis on, which is why I’ve whittled the possibilities down to those two.

The sig is nearly twice as expense as the XD though! sigh…

I’m going to a gun show the second week of April, and if i can get a good deal on the sig i just may end up splurging…

Have you fired the sig yet? I was looking at those before ultimately I went with Glock, but the trigger pull just seemed way to long for me.

The one on the left is what I carry, but I added pearce grip extensions (+1 to mag capacity) and a pachmyer grip. Also I have a .40 cal barrel that I can swap out and switch calibers. A unique asset to a .357 sig/.40 cal because of the cartridge size. Because of the price of .357 sig ammo (about $30+/50) it’s a god send for target practice. The one on the right is my home defense - .45 long colt but chambers a .410 shotgun shell.