Gun Rights

So the University of Idaho has secured a $250,000 grant from the federal gov’t to “research” how to promote safety for females on campus. Female saftey has proven to be something of an issue on campus in the last few years.

However, my girlfriend, who sometimes has to go on campus at night (formerly for her job, and now for late tests) is not allowed to open carry her pistol in self-defense because it is against the student code of conduct (though is perfectly legal).

My perception is that most anti-gun people are so merely because of ignorance and unfamiliarity of guns. Seeing a person with a gun makes them uncomfortable. These are the people that are entrenched in school establishments.

They would rather see my girlfriend be raped than bear being uncomfortable because she practices her constituional right both federally and state by carrying a pistol on her hip without a badge. Can someone explain this to me?

Mike

Does the University receive state or federal funding? If so, they may actually HAVE to allow students to exercise their constitutional rights. At least, after threat of legal action…

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:
So the University of Idaho has secured a $250,000 grant from the federal gov’t to “research” how to promote safety for females on campus. Female saftey has proven to be something of an issue on campus in the last few years.

However, my girlfriend, who sometimes has to go on campus at night (formerly for her job, and now for late tests) is not allowed to open carry her pistol in self-defense because it is against the student code of conduct (though is perfectly legal).

My perception is that most anti-gun people are so merely because of ignorance and unfamiliarity of guns. Seeing a person with a gun makes them uncomfortable. These are the people that are entrenched in school establishments.

They would rather see my girlfriend be raped than bear being uncomfortable because she practices her constituional right both federally and state by carrying a pistol on her hip without a badge. Can someone explain this to me?

Mike[/quote]

Does Idaho allow concealed carry? If so that may be an option.

Oh, I never thought Idaho as that dangerous.
Beside pepper spray a gun is not quite useful to defend yourself.

[quote]Torte wrote:
[/quote]

Are you a woman?

Have you ever lived in Idaho?

Have you ever defended yourself against a rapist or murderer?

Have you ever used either a firearm or pepper spray against an attacker?

I am guessing that your answers are “no”, “no”, “no” and “no”. That’s fine, but please research the matter a bit.

The fact is, a powerful handgun and the skill to use it efficiently is the single most effective tool for self defense, especially for women. And unlike mace, pepper spray, or improvised weapons, the mere presence of the gun is often sufficent to stop the attack. In other words, it is the most effective deterrent as well.

Don’t believe me? Go ask a cop.

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:

Mike[/quote]

they may be ignorant, but that doesn’t mean they want your girl to get raped.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
Torte wrote:

Are you a woman?

I am guessing that your answers are “no”, “no”, “no” and “no”. That’s fine, but please research the matter a bit.

The fact is, a powerful handgun and the skill to use it efficiently is the single most effective tool for self defense, especially for women. And unlike mace, pepper spray, or improvised weapons, the mere presence of the gun is often sufficent to stop the attack. In other words, it is the most effective deterrent as well.

Don’t believe me? Go ask a cop.[/quote]

Spot on Varqanir!

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
Torte wrote:

Are you a woman?

Don’t believe me? Go ask a cop.[/quote]

I have a good friend that is a cop and he also taught self defence classes, and he said unless your willing to kill, and are handy with a gun they could be the worst thing you could bring to a fight…if your not willing to kill the person or just don’t know how to use it you might as well hand it over to the person. so yes pepper spray can be better because your not as afraid of using it on someone.

I agree that in the hands of a well trained individual,there is nothing better than a hand gun for self defense.
But the reality is how many people are really well trained,and do the necessary ongoing work required to maintain the required level of proficiency?
In my experience,very few.

And as for open carry,I’m undecided on wether it’s a deterrent or and added incentive to get attacked.A stolen hand gun is a valuable commodity on the criminal market…

Just stirring the debate here,nothing more.

[quote]Neuromancer wrote:
I agree that in the hands of a well trained individual,there is nothing better than a hand gun for self defense.
But the reality is how many people are really well trained,and do the necessary ongoing work required to maintain the required level of proficiency?
In my experience,very few.

And as for open carry,I’m undecided on wether it’s a deterrent or and added incentive to get attacked.A stolen hand gun is a valuable commodity on the criminal market…

Just stirring the debate here,nothing more.[/quote]

i tend to agree with this. i’d like to see more people comfortable with guns. and that means i’d like to see more people proficient with guns. but given how easily we hand out driving licenses to incompetent drivers, and can’t even get them to follow common-sense cruise right pass left rules, i’m not sure our country is ready for every on-campus paris hilton wannabe to be rockin’ a cocked and locked kimber @ the rho-delta rho mixer this friday.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
Does the University receive state or federal funding? If so, they may actually HAVE to allow students to exercise their constitutional rights. At least, after threat of legal action…[/quote]

I think the University probably wouldn’t have to allow “open carry” even if they recieve federal funding. The Supreme Court has never held that there is an absolute right for individuals to bear arms, and they probably never will because if they did it would pretty much make all gun control laws invalid. A lot of states do not allow open carry, and a lot of states severely limit what types of guns, rounds etc. people may carry and use; those laws don’t get challenged.

If “open carry” is actually protected by the Idaho Constitution that is a different story, but I doubt that it is mentioned. If I were you I would tell her to just conceal the gun, if she knows how to use it it won’t matter if she carries open or concealed.

Have you considered bringing a lawsuit? It might be worth it to at least get some public word out and put pressure on the University.

[quote]Torte wrote:
[/quote]

What the fuck does this even mean?

Idaho can be just as dangerous as any other place on the planet. You think only large metropolitan areas are dangerous?

“Beside pepper spray a gun is not quite useful to defend yourself”
WTF…

[quote]LNEX wrote:

…if your not willing to kill the person or just don’t know how to use it you might as well hand it over to the person.[/quote]

If you’re not willing to kill the person or just don’t know how to use it, you shouldn’t even own the gun in the first place.

[quote]Neuromancer wrote:

And as for open carry,I’m undecided on wether it’s a deterrent or and added incentive to get attacked.A stolen hand gun is a valuable commodity on the criminal market…[/quote]

You’ll have to stir harder. I’m no criminal mastermind, but I can dream up about 50 different ways to get a stolen firearm that are easier and less risky than taking it off of the live human being who happens to be toting it.

Now, if you plan on killing someone for their firearm, that’d make for a nice “chicken or the egg” discussion.

If you’re going to pull it out, pull it out smoking.

I am surprised that nobody’s law enforcement buddies have mentioned the 21-foot rule.

http://www.policeone.com/writers/columnists/ForceScience/articles/102828/

Make sure that your girlfriend draws down on everyone who approaches her within 21 feet while on campus. Or maybe a knife and the buddy system might be safer, if security is truly a top priority?

Todd

[quote]lucasa wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:

You’ll have to stir harder. I’m no criminal mastermind, but I can dream up about 50 different ways to get a stolen firearm that are easier and less risky than taking it off of the live human being who happens to be toting it.

Now, if you plan on killing someone for their firearm, that’d make for a nice “chicken or the egg” discussion.[/quote]

Was more thinking that criminals are opportunists.Young lady,exposed firearm,two or three bad guys loitering about…
And I wasn’t referring to stirring in a bad way,just interested in all the varied viewpoints hehe…may better to say I was looking to ‘stimulate’ debate.
The risk of getting the firearm depends on the bad guys assesment of risk,don’t you think?

I’m all for hidden carry,btw.

Yeah, man. Let’s all carry guns. That would be so cool. We could take em to the mall the grocery store, everywhere. That would be so cool. Kinda like the wild west.

WAKE UP MORONS! YOU ALL CAN’T BE THAT STUPID. Don’t you know who has a gun problem already?

[quote]Skystud wrote:
Yeah, man. Let’s all carry guns. That would be so cool. We could take em to the mall the grocery store, everywhere. That would be so cool. Kinda like the wild west.

WAKE UP MORONS! YOU ALL CAN’T BE THAT STUPID. Don’t you know who has a gun problem already?
[/quote]

Pennsylvania is a right to carry state. People are armed at the mall, grocery store and everywhere else you go. You just don’t realize it. Is it the Wild West now?

Take a guess how many of the million or so legally permitted PA. residents committed a crime with a firearm last year?

The problem is that not enough law abiding citizens carry guns. Thugs don’t seem to have a real problem with the idea.