Gun Policy in the USA

The purpose of the post was to point out the fallacy of placing 7000 shoes on the ground as an illustration of why “assault” rifles should be banned.

I’d rather deal with the real underlying issue like the author.

I had thought that was the case and iirc the increase in suicides plays a significant role in the overal gun death increase.

100% agreed. If posts like that weren’t used to discredit any and all gun reform, I’d have liked the post in a general sense.

Well, as TB said, it’s not an OR thing. Both can be done

If the numbers from my first link are raw homicides are increasing at ~8x the rate suicides are moving

We’re not really doing anything about the nearly double per capita death rate for drug over doses as the article points out either.

That’s not sensational enough, I guess.

You have to be careful about classification too, though, and a lack of nationally collected homicide data. The numbers either way are a bit suspect because there’s no standardization for homicide data.

While I completely disagree with this, this would be apples and oranges as drugs would be more akin to suicides as opposed to homicides.

As Nick said above, you can avoid suicide by, not committing suicide

Best data I can find sadly. Not a perfect world

Did he mention not working on gun reform, though? Or did you infer that? The only thing he mentions is an assault weapons ban. Something that would have a minimal effect, if any, on homicide rates based on historical data.

He didn’t have to, you did. An increase in stats equates to no effort and all talk, remember?

And that’s how people abuse posts like that to further an agenda the author didn’t intend. I know he can’t help that people misuse his words, but it always happens, on both sides of the fence.

Agreed. The anti AR stuff seems to be there to placate mom groups and people who don’t understand basic math

Agreed, but that doesn’t mean we should simply ignore it as seems to be the case, imo, for both. Which was my point.

You could say the same about diabetes (tupe 2) and heart disease, both of which are, generally, caused or exacerbated by poor dietary choices.

Ya, I know. I was just saying.

Ayi yi yi…

I’m perfectly fine with useful gun reform thay isn’t just a bs ploy to get votes. I’ve said that plenty of times on here. It just so happens the normal reaponse is to just ban this or that, which does nothing imo.

Very much agreed. My personal opinions of “saving people from themselves” doesn’t typically lead to much agreement from others though. I’m a weird guy

I wasn’t taking a shot at you (promise). Just showing how easily people can conflate similar logic when they don’t understand what they’re talking about. Snowballs roll down hill really quick these days in the age of soundbite and meme news

What does that look like in a practical sense?

Ding, ding ding!
:nose:

Whether or not that article is real that statement is true. We have a violence problem. Guns have been easily accessible for years and people didn’t do the shit they do now. You could go to the General store and by a 30-30 and a bag of pig ears and nobody would bat an eye. Because people didn’t go shooting other people for the hell of it.

I am going out on my conservative limb here and say the biggest correlative\ causal connection is the break down of families and a lack of love for each other. It’s sounds simple and cliche and even dumb to say, but in practice it’s far more difficult to do, but if done. Violence goes down.
This is the culmination of years of 50% plus divorce rates, single parent homes where the parent has to work so the kids raise themselves. While mom works and dad is fucking someone else he’s going to leave high and dry, etc.

I have no glorious answer to the problem. I think all of us need to look in the mirror and check ourselves. We all can be better and perhaps that may rub off.

How many members of decent society use those drugs? How many profit off of the guns that are sold there? How much does our prison system profit from a steady supply of inmates? There is money to be made by maintaining the social ills that plague the inner city and cause the violence.

And how is some child who gets killed by a stray bullet not decent?

Then maybe the last thing we need is guns.

Pretty sure past evidence suggests that prohibitions tend not to work, at all. You stand to create more violence in a thriving black market.

What I’m saying is, the argument that Americans are too violent but we should still be trusted with guns, is rather loony.

1 Like

A few, I’m sure- though they manage to rarely get killed. A few, I’m sure- not sure what that has to do with anything. A lot-you’ll find no argument against ending prohibition, from me. There is.

Few deaths are coming by way of stray bullet. If you’d like to find that number and add it to the statistic posted by @anon50325502, that would be fine by me.

Americans are not too violent, America has a problem with violence. There’s a difference.
And besides, you cannot unring the bell. With 300 million or so firearms out there, you ain’t getting rid of guns anytime soon.
No nukes would be good too, but we have them now and we need them as a deterrent to other nuclear powers. Likewise, we need guns as a deterrent to people who think they have the right to do violence to others.

Most of all, women. Most women, who are of sane mind and body, should be strapped 24/7. It evens the playing field against those who think they can abuse and rape women

This! I’m not sure whether it was in this thread or another that I said pretty much the same. Gun control advocates(edit: at least, those that aren’t in charge) are really just opposed to the existence of the technology.

1 Like

Just a thought. I’ve seen articles pop up about students feeling as if their right to privacy is being trampled on due to new transparent back pack rules. I find the reporting on the students’ desire to preserve liberty (privacy in this case), even in spite of increased security, interesting.

It doesn’t surprise me at all. I’m going out on a limb and assuming most of them don’t think taking Da Gunz directly affects them.

Clear backpacks, metal detectors, etc… do.

1 Like

Will certainly reduce Chicago’s murder rate…

1 Like