Gun Policy in the USA

Did you NEED one? Is the drinking age arbitrary? Legal driving age? Renting a car?

They can learn with something other than a semi auto and probably should.

No, I fired an M4, M9, M2, M249, and Mk19, among others. For such a small caliber, an AR-15 sure does a good job killing.

I said ownership, not education. The 12 year old probably doesn’t own the gun he is using.

Got it. Now we’re getting somewhere close to a policy. Some follow ups to get us across the finish line.

Would you also insist on transfers requiring a check?

How would you enforce this new policy?

How will it lead to improved outcomes?

So why not ask them then?

I have. They are welcome to chime in. So is everyone else. Let’s try to stay on topic.

So you have proof that going to the range as a child prevents kids from becoming mass shooters? Or becoming very effective mass shooters?

Why don’t you chime in?

Will it make things worse?

Any time a gun changes owners for any reason, boom background check.

The way the current one is. This way the inconvenience/failure points are lowered and the main driver becomes the ability to more easily prosecute people for giving criminals guns (which I believe to be the largest piece of America’s gun problem).

On occasion. How about here on TN?

Because I don’t have any ideas for new gun control legislation that I think will lead to improved outcomes.

2 Likes

That’s honest but I think a problem with that thinking is that there is only one way to find out. Things are not good right now so it stands to reason that some change is in order.

I’m not sure how that would be proven. Do you have proof that doing so causes kids to become mass shooters?

That is not possible without a nationwide registration of all firearms, which is not possible without high rates of cooperation from owners of presently unregistered guns.

I understand your intent and I share the same intent, I just don’t understand how it could possibly be effective.

I suppose that’s true.

Ya, I was agreeing… MD is notoriously difficult to get a CC in.

I didn’t/don’t NEED a lot of things. As @countingbeans is famous for saying, It’s not called the Bill of Needs.

And is that really the perspective we want to legislate from?

Yes, yes, and yes.

A semi-auto rifle you mean?

It’s really not a very effective killing round.

You just said you would limit their access to training on those weapons… Training is education.

No, I don’t and I never said it would. Training kids to use semi autos is not necessary for them to learn safety or basic marksmanship. They will also view shooting and owning those guns as being something you earn rather than something you are entitled to. It can create a level of respect for the weapons in question.

“I don’t feels duh safe when I takes my kids to skewl, so I needs erybody else to turn in dem guns.”-Progressives

Maybe you should homeschool your kids.

In my mind with this, it would take a number of years to truly flush out the system and see a large benefit. Over time, the whole risk of being a felon thing will deter nearly everyone from circumventing the system.

Yes. I suppose being denied those weapons for no reason could turn those weapons into a bit of a fetish. Seems helpful.

And…you would earn the right to those guns by…turning a certain age?

It’s also a violation of the 5th unless there’s new precedent.

Possibly, but the entire system hinges on the law abiding to remain so, just like it does today. It will remain unenforceable for a very long time. If nationwide registration on all new guns were implemented today I think most of the presently unregistered guns would be out of circulation or simply non functional in about 100 years. Then you could begin enforcing universal background checks effectively. Most of the time.

Even if that system works perfectly, what sort of dent do you think that would put in the acts of violence?