Gun Love Thread

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]kineticj wrote:

I have been looking into picking up a 9mm revolver

[/quote]

Very unusual weapon and would typically required a half-moon or full-moon clip due to 9mm shell being designed for semi-automatic weapons and not revolvers. Charter Arms is probably the only company that sells one that does not require some sort of clip.

Generally people only carry a 9mm (or .40) revolver as a back up to a primary weapon in the same caliber.

I would opt for a .38 or, better, .357.[/quote]

Yes, the Charter Arms Pitbull 9mm is the one at which I have been looking. My wife has an M&P9C in 9mm, but she does not practice enough to be proficient with it. Sheā€™s a decent shot, but is not at all comfortable with clearing ftf/fte issues. I want something that comfortably fits her hand and is about as foolproof as a weapon can get for her to have handy here at home.

I like the 9mm revolver over the .38/.357 primarily because the majority of my stockpiled ammo is 9mm. Modern 9mm defensive rounds compare fairly well with .38+P ammunition. My wife fired one full cylinder of .357 in a 4" S&W 686 and decided that was more recoil than she was willing to practice with on a regular basis. Hot .357 from a snubbie isnā€™t an option.

Of course, If I could find a nice .357 wheelgun for her, that would give me an excuse to pick up a Marlin lever action in the same caliber. Hmm.

[quote]theuofh wrote:
Ruger just released an LCR revolver in 9mm. Iā€™m not too sure that 38 and 9mm are close to ballistic equivalents out of a short barrel with modern jhp bullets. There canā€™t be that much difference.

You need moon clips because the 9mm doesnā€™t have a rim and Headspaceā€™s on the case neck.[/quote]

I only have a little experience with moon clips, but from my limited use, I found the full moon clips to be handier than speedloaders. I will look at that LCR. Taurus also make a 9mm revolver that uses clips, but I have heard far too many bad things about Taurus quality to consider buying one. When the trigger is squeezed, it needs to go bang every time.

Moon clips and half moon clips work great, better than speed loader in my opinion. I have them for a 1917 S&W chambered in .45 ACP. Just put three or four in your pocket and practice the reload. It keeps the casings together so you are sure they were all extracted and ejected. When limited to five or six rounds make sure they count. Lots of practice if you can.

For Jewbacca, I had no idea the NYC laws were that rough. I should have thought about the Bloomberg factor. Best of luck out there and stay safe.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

• Trivia: my brother dated Shannon Bream, the Fox anchor in this piece, in high school.[/quote]

Manā€¦I like Shannon Breamā€¦

Anyone interested in older guns? Iā€™ve read a little bit about them online, but am pretty ignorant. Iā€™m believing Pre-WW I stuff is really expensive, but after that you may be able to pick up some historically cool stuff that would be affordable enough that you could still use them for hunting or shooting.

[quote]sen say wrote:
Anyone interested in older guns? Iā€™ve read a little bit about them online, but am pretty ignorant. Iā€™m believing Pre-WW I stuff is really expensive, but after that you may be able to pick up some historically cool stuff that would be affordable enough that you could still use them for hunting or shooting.[/quote]

Iā€™ve always wanted a Mosin-Nagant. I should just buy one. They are still under $200 and I have heard nothing but good things about that rifle. Rich in history too. An M1 Garand is also up there, but they are more expensive.

Iā€™m reading a book called Gun Guys a Road Trip by Dan Baum and he mentions a 30-40 Krag Jorgenen the he picked up for $115 ā€˜20 years agoā€™:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=442945323#PIC

This one is to rich for me.

[quote]twojarslave wrote:
Iā€™ve always wanted a Mosin-Nagant. I should just buy one. They are still under $200 and I have heard nothing but good things about that rifle. Rich in history too. An M1 Garand is also up there, but they are more expensive.
[/quote]

$130 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=443332291

[quote]kineticj wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]kineticj wrote:

I have been looking into picking up a 9mm revolver

[/quote]

Very unusual weapon and would typically required a half-moon or full-moon clip due to 9mm shell being designed for semi-automatic weapons and not revolvers. Charter Arms is probably the only company that sells one that does not require some sort of clip.

Generally people only carry a 9mm (or .40) revolver as a back up to a primary weapon in the same caliber.

I would opt for a .38 or, better, .357.[/quote]

Yes, the Charter Arms Pitbull 9mm is the one at which I have been looking. My wife has an M&P9C in 9mm, but she does not practice enough to be proficient with it. Sheā€™s a decent shot, but is not at all comfortable with clearing ftf/fte issues. I want something that comfortably fits her hand and is about as foolproof as a weapon can get for her to have handy here at home.

I like the 9mm revolver over the .38/.357 primarily because the majority of my stockpiled ammo is 9mm. Modern 9mm defensive rounds compare fairly well with .38+P ammunition. My wife fired one full cylinder of .357 in a 4" S&W 686 and decided that was more recoil than she was willing to practice with on a regular basis. Hot .357 from a snubbie isnā€™t an option.

Of course, If I could find a nice .357 wheelgun for her, that would give me an excuse to pick up a Marlin lever action in the same caliber. Hmm.
[/quote]

The one and only Charter Iā€™ve had experience with had light strikes like crazy. The first 60 or so rounds that she put through it (family friend) had at least 8 light strikes. They were factory reloads, that Iā€™ve shot at least 400 rounds through two different Rugar 357ā€™s and never had a light strike.

The Charter may have a ā€œbreak in periodā€ or that particular one might be a lemon.

Just saying, if you are putting your life or the wifeā€™s life on the gun, Iā€™d put a couple hundred through it at least before trusting it.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

For a good general-purpose cold weather shooting glove I imagine it is like anything else. You will get what you pay for.
[/quote]

Yeah, my biggest concern is fatter fingers, and getting it into trigger well without putting any pressure on the trigger. (You know, shooting before I want to, lol)

So really want a slim glove that actually still keeps my hands warm enough to load another mag after a couple mins. [/quote]

These are great for things requiring dexterity.

I use fingerless gloves when hunting.

My brother gave me a pair of very supple leather work gloves that would work well, but it doesnā€™t look like he sells them anymore. They were warm enough that I wore them skiing in march. http://testedbestproducts.com/GLOVES.html

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

For a good general-purpose cold weather shooting glove I imagine it is like anything else. You will get what you pay for.
[/quote]

Yeah, my biggest concern is fatter fingers, and getting it into trigger well without putting any pressure on the trigger. (You know, shooting before I want to, lol)

So really want a slim glove that actually still keeps my hands warm enough to load another mag after a couple mins. [/quote]

These are great for things requiring dexterity.

I use fingerless gloves when hunting.

My brother gave me a pair of very supple leather work gloves that would work well, but it doesnā€™t look like he sells them anymore. They were warm enough that I wore them skiing in march. http://testedbestproducts.com/GLOVES.html
[/quote]

I usually use a pair of glommits. I donā€™t like having a glove between my finger and the trigger unless its really really thin.

[quote]sen say wrote:
Anyone interested in older guns? Iā€™ve read a little bit about them online, but am pretty ignorant. Iā€™m believing Pre-WW I stuff is really expensive, but after that you may be able to pick up some historically cool stuff that would be affordable enough that you could still use them for hunting or shooting.[/quote]

[/quote]

Another one to look at are the Mauser K98s. Iā€™ve run into a couple guyā€™s with these and the bores on them are usually pristine. Some still have the original issue papers in the butt plate.

I think they are a bit more than the Mosinā€™s but less than the US service rifles.

This is my dryfire setup. I havenā€™t been using it long at all and it is already reaping dividends.

So far, I donā€™t think the the drills matter as much, and itā€™s more practice getting a good firing grip on the gun, drawing to point, then working on a clean trigger pull with front sight stable on target

Iā€™ve been doing this with my play gear and also working on the draw from concealment with my carry gear.

Very good shooters have told me, you can attain a lot of competence doing this, without having to fire a single round.

Just got it put together last night.

BCM Upper
Green Mtn barrel, 1:7 in 5.56
Daniel Defense Handrail
BCM full auto BCG
Modcomp-0
BCM gunfighter charging handle medium
Anderson lower
Brownnels LPK with LG Defense trigger drop in
Magpul swag & flip up sights.

A bit heavier than I expected, and mags come in Thursday. (Shop was sold out after a show.)

Wife caught me cuddling it this morningā€¦

Nice Beans!

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Nice Beans![/quote]

lol, My buddy is convinced it is going to blow up when I shoot it because ā€œyouā€™re an accountant, not a gun smith, better have someone look at it.ā€

The upper came assembled from BCM, so Iā€™m going to go out on a limb and assume itā€™s good to go, and I can see the fowling on the bolt where they tested itā€¦ Plus the guy that pinned and welded the comp checked it out and said it was GTG.

All I put together is the lower, which is like legosā€¦ If I canā€™t get that right (it all tests as a ā€œgoā€ in dry fire function testing) then Iā€™m at a loss for how dumb I am.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Nice Beans![/quote]

lol, My buddy is convinced it is going to blow up when I shoot it because ā€œyouā€™re an accountant, not a gun smith, better have someone look at it.ā€

The upper came assembled from BCM, so Iā€™m going to go out on a limb and assume itā€™s good to go, and I can see the fowling on the bolt where they tested itā€¦ Plus the guy that pinned and welded the comp checked it out and said it was GTG.

All I put together is the lower, which is like legosā€¦ If I canā€™t get that right (it all tests as a ā€œgoā€ in dry fire function testing) then Iā€™m at a loss for how dumb I am. [/quote]

Lol, well hopefully that doesnā€™t happen.

Iā€™ve been looking into loading my own ammo, but basically the same thought has been going through my head (youā€™re an accountant and you need all your fingersā€¦)

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Iā€™ve been looking into loading my own ammo, but basically the same thought has been going through my head (youā€™re an accountant and you need all your fingersā€¦) [/quote]

If dudes in their 70ā€™s can do it, and have been for 40 years, Iā€™m sure you can too. Just like anything read up on how to do it, take a class, and pay the fuck attention, lol.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Iā€™ve been looking into loading my own ammo, but basically the same thought has been going through my head (youā€™re an accountant and you need all your fingersā€¦) [/quote]

If dudes in their 70ā€™s can do it, and have been for 40 years, Iā€™m sure you can too. Just like anything read up on how to do it, take a class, and pay the fuck attention, lol.
[/quote]

Lol, ya Iā€™m not that concerned about it. I wasnā€™t always an accountant!