Gun Love Thread

My new legal carry gun in NYC. Took much legal wrangling.

Comes with a special toy surprise inside (count the holes):

Performance centre model; nice trigger pull.

The ability to carry a medium frame revolver in a readily-accessible coat pocket is a big advantage of being an observant Jewish person, especially in the fall/winter.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

The ability to carry a medium frame revolver in a readily-accessible coat pocket is a big advantage of being an observant Jewish person, especially in the fall/winter.[/quote]

Very nice piece. A bit heavy and bulky for my carry preferences, but I can appreciate the advantage offered by all of that steel residing in a coat pocket.

Do you carry with .38 +p or magnum loads?

[quote]twojarslave wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

The ability to carry a medium frame revolver in a readily-accessible coat pocket is a big advantage of being an observant Jewish person, especially in the fall/winter.[/quote]

Very nice piece. A bit heavy and bulky for my carry preferences, but I can appreciate the advantage offered by all of that steel residing in a coat pocket.

[/quote]

I carry Federal .357 Magnum 125 grain jacketed hollow points.

It takes a serious legal wrangling to get a carry permit in NYC; worse than Tel Aviv. For whatever reason, the bureaucrats donā€™t like semi-automatics, but you can (with patience) push through a revolver. I first pushed through a baby five shot .38, then after not killing anyone for a year, re-applied for a larger weapon and my wife took over the .38. We have a pump shotgun for the house.

In Phoenix, we both carry Glock 27s in .40 and have proper rifles and shotguns at home.

In Israel, itā€™s a Beretta 9mm because it is my government-issued weapon and an M16 for the same reason.

Nice looking revolver. The custom shop revolvers are really smooth, from what I can recall. Have not seen anyone carry the 7x, more rounds are better in my opinion. Did you get any speed loaders for it?

[quote]hkd wrote:
Nice looking revolver. The custom shop revolvers are really smooth, from what I can recall. Have not seen anyone carry the 7x, more rounds are better in my opinion. Did you get any speed loaders for it? [/quote]

I did not get speed loaders for it; the NY laws are so patently unclear that I was not sure I would be violating the law if I had them (and I am a lawyer).

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]hkd wrote:
Nice looking revolver. The custom shop revolvers are really smooth, from what I can recall. Have not seen anyone carry the 7x, more rounds are better in my opinion. Did you get any speed loaders for it? [/quote]

I did not get speed loaders for it; the NY laws are so patently unclear that I was not sure I would be violating the law if I had them (and I am a lawyer).[/quote]

I not surprised that NY gun laws are too confusing for lawyers. Not one bit.

Would Bianchi Speed Strips fall into the same legal gray area? They carry quite well, as you have a line of rounds rather than a cylinder.

[/quote]

You live in ME, please stop ignoring my gloves question, bastard.

:wink:

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[/quote]

;)[/quote]

Fuck going outside to shoot off guns in the winter is my answer.

The indoor range gets my $15 once or twice per winter.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[/quote]

It takes a serious legal wrangling to get a carry permit in NYC; worse than Tel Aviv. For whatever reason, the bureaucrats donā€™t like semi-automatics, but you can (with patience) push through a revolver. I first pushed through a baby five shot .38, then after not killing anyone for a year, re-applied for a larger weapon and my wife took over the .38. We have a pump shotgun for the house.

In Phoenix, we both carry Glock 27s in .40 and have proper rifles and shotguns at home.

In Israel, itā€™s a Beretta 9mm because it is my government-issued weapon and an M16 for the same reason.[/quote]

In the past couldnā€™t Israeli citizens walk into a police station and ā€œcheck outā€ a gun for carry?

I thought this was the origin of the Israeli method of draw then chamber, versus carrying with it loaded.

[/quote]

;)[/quote]

[/quote]

Iā€™ve grown up in New England, Iā€™ll get snow shoes for this shit, lol. Just dontā€™ want to spend $80 on UA gloves only to find out a $20 pair is better or just as good.

I wonā€™t get out but once a month during tax season as it is, but want to see what snow/ice/winter is like when things go bang. I assume the same but colder, but fuck it man.

[/quote]

;)[/quote]

[/quote]

Iā€™ve grown up in New England, Iā€™ll get snow shoes for this shit, lol. Just dontā€™ want to spend $80 on UA gloves only to find out a $20 pair is better or just as good.

I wonā€™t get out but once a month during tax season as it is, but want to see what snow/ice/winter is like when things go bang. I assume the same but colder, but fuck it man. [/quote]

Well, on that topic, it is definitely good to have an idea of how the cold changes how you shoot.

Given that I carry concealed, the occasions where I have shot in the very cold have been without gloves, because that is how I would be shooting in a hypothetical defensive situation.

The cold doesnā€™t make it easier, that much is sure. It is probably something I should practice more often since it can basically snow for half the year here.

For a good general-purpose cold weather shooting glove I imagine it is like anything else. You will get what you pay for.

For a good general-purpose cold weather shooting glove I imagine it is like anything else. You will get what you pay for.
[/quote]

Yeah, my biggest concern is fatter fingers, and getting it into trigger well without putting any pressure on the trigger. (You know, shooting before I want to, lol)

So really want a slim glove that actually still keeps my hands warm enough to load another mag after a couple mins.

*and I canā€™t really bring all my guns into Dicks and try out different gloves with them, you knowā€¦

[quote]theuofh wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[/quote]

In Israel, itā€™s a Beretta 9mm because it is my government-issued weapon and an M16 for the same reason.[/quote]

In the past couldnā€™t Israeli citizens walk into a police station and ā€œcheck outā€ a gun for carry?

I thought this was the origin of the Israeli method of draw then chamber, versus carrying with it loaded. [/quote]

There are a couple of ways to carry and it varies on where you live, what you do, if you are a veteran, and if you are in the reserve.

I have a carry 9mm and M16 at home because I am a veteran and in the reserves.

My daughters get Tavors, but, alas, I was trained too early for them. Sad.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]hkd wrote:

I did not get speed loaders for it; the NY laws are so patently unclear that I was not sure I would be violating the law if I had them (and I am a lawyer).[/quote]

Would Bianchi Speed Strips fall into the same legal gray area? They carry quite well, as you have a line of rounds rather than a cylinder.

[/quote]

Donā€™t know. The law was written intentionally so that innocent people can be easily targeted.

[/quote]

Yeah, my biggest concern is fatter fingers, and getting it into trigger well without putting any pressure on the trigger. (You know, shooting before I want to, lol)

So really want a slim glove that actually still keeps my hands warm enough to load another mag after a couple mins. [/quote]

I like the thin Carhartt work gloves with the manmade fabric back and leather palms/fingers. I look for the gloves with the velcro closure at the cuff. When you arenā€™t at the firing line, open up the cuff and tuck one of those little glove heater packets either on the back of your hand or in the palm. Gloves here:

Hothands Packets:

When it gets really cold and/or the wind is blowing, I prefer to go inside and just shoot the breeze over an adult beverage. Snap caps and dry fire practice are my favorite cold weather shooting activity. Other than actually hunting - at which time all good common sense goes right out the window.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]hkd wrote:

[/quote]

Donā€™t know. The law was written intentionally so that innocent people can be easily targeted.
[/quote]

I have been looking into picking up a 9mm revolver and someone on a message board mentioned that carrying extra rounds in a 9mm magazine is an easy way to keep the rounds organized in a tasteful, flat package. With a little practice it should be pretty easy to thumb rounds off the top of the magazine and right into the cylinder. Not sure if this would be an option or not in NY. And magazines for .357 might be a little harder to come by.

I believe Coonan made (makes?) a 1911 style pistol in .357, and Desert Eagle may make a model in .357 but donā€™t know and am too lazy to look right now.

[quote]kineticj wrote:

I have been looking into picking up a 9mm revolver

[/quote]

Very unusual weapon and would typically required a half-moon or full-moon clip due to 9mm shell being designed for semi-automatic weapons and not revolvers. Charter Arms is probably the only company that sells one that does not require some sort of clip.

Generally people only carry a 9mm (or .40) revolver as a back up to a primary weapon in the same caliber.

I would opt for a .38 or, better, .357.

Ruger just released an LCR revolver in 9mm. Iā€™m not too sure that 38 and 9mm are close to ballistic equivalents out of a short barrel with modern jhp bullets. There canā€™t be that much difference.

You need moon clips because the 9mm doesnā€™t have a rim and Headspaceā€™s on the case neck.