Gun Love Thread

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
What do you guys shoot at the range?

I wasted an empty Guinness can this weekend in honor of our Irish friend in another thread. No organics at my range, so potatoes are out, but bottles with water, just water, are fine. I’m tired of bottles, lol.

I was thinking:
Golf balls
Old action figures the boy doesn’t play with anymore

What else? I’m not creative

In other news, I might come into a Remington 700 later this month… Pretty excited about it. Should cost me no cash, just need the optic.
[/quote]

Empty Metabolic Drive jugs every now and then. Fill them with water. Otherwise a steel plate, or the shoot’n see targets.

I like golf balls if a small caliber, otherwise just paper targets that I stick big stickers on and pin to plywood. What caliber 700 are you coming into and is it the one with the floor plate or without?

Thanks for the ideas so far guys.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
What caliber 700 are you coming into and is it the one with the floor plate or without?[/quote]

Questions I can’t answer at the moment, haven’t really looked at it as it was out of my price range until now. It might not even still be in stock after the show so we’ll see.

I want to say 308 and with, but I don’t remember really, so those are guesses.

What do you guys shoot at the range?

I wasted an empty Guinness can this weekend in honor of our Irish friend in another thread. No organics at my range, so potatoes are out, but bottles with water, just water, are fine. I’m tired of bottles, lol.

I was thinking:
Golf balls
Old action figures the boy doesn’t play with anymore

What else? I’m not creative

In other news, I might come into a Remington 700 later this month… Pretty excited about it. Should cost me no cash, just need the optic.
[/quote]

Full 20lb propane tanks are the norm at the range I go to with my dad :wink:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
I like golf balls if a small caliber, otherwise just paper targets that I stick big stickers on and pin to plywood. What caliber 700 are you coming into and is it the one with the floor plate or without?[/quote]

Yeah it is 308 and has a floor plate. Well looks like a floor plate, the stock isn’t solid. Not 100% sure it is removable, but there is a plate there.

So… What does that mean?

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
I like golf balls if a small caliber, otherwise just paper targets that I stick big stickers on and pin to plywood. What caliber 700 are you coming into and is it the one with the floor plate or without?[/quote]

Yeah it is 308 and has a floor plate. Well looks like a floor plate, the stock isn’t solid. Not 100% sure it is removable, but there is a plate there.

So… What does that mean?[/quote]

Just that its easier to convert to a detachable mag if you so choose. Also, if its hinged, you can unload it much easier. I don’t think all of them are, but hinged is an upgrade so that probably means you have the CDL or BDL (cant remember which)

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

Just that its easier to convert to a detachable mag if you so choose. Also, if its hinged, you can unload it much easier. I don’t think all of them are, but hinged is an upgrade so that probably means you have the CDL or BDL (cant remember which)
[/quote]

Haven’t got it yet, and it needs to still be in inventory after the show next week, but fingers crossed, I think I’m going to jump on it. Might go a different direction but I’m thinking rifle for sure.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Shooter’s is a restaurant in…Rifle, Colorado that requires there waiting staff to open carry and go through advanced gun handling courses and encourages their customers to open carry also. [/quote]

And probably the safest restaurant in America.

mmmmmmm…there’s something drop dead sexy about a low slung holster on a girl.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

[/quote]

After some consult with the boy and wife, looking around, and not wanted to add to my range of calibers… I’ve decided on the ranch MINI-14.

Shoots 5.56, so will pair with the AR
Looks like an M1, so that is cool (The MA compliant model with wood stock)
I’m not real big on bench shooting or hunting so the accuracy complaints are moot really…
And all in all, it is a fun looking rifle that is from a good company.

Looking forward to it. The 700 would have had me spending on an optic, etc when I’d rather spend that on ammo and gloves for the winter, lol

Speaking of gloves, what are you guys shooting in during the cold winter months?

Last time I shot in the Winter I didn’t wear gloves and my hands got so numb I was doubling, so I stopped. Shooting the rifle, I went in the RO’s office every 10 minutes so I didn’t get frost bit. I’m curious as well.

On another note, I shot a USPSA match yesterday and managed to finish 4th in production and very close to third. I even managed to win a stage. I went from finishing down near the middle of the C’s to near the top of the B’s, some of which will be moving to A class soon. I’m ecstatic right now.

I’ll post a pic of my dry fire setup in a bit. This is what helped me win the stage which was a longer distance classifier shooting freestyle, then strong hand, then weak hand. It is helping quite a bit.

Make sure to check the chambering on the mini14 some are .223 which is a lower chamber pressure than 5.56. I got to attend AR15 armorer class and they made a big deal out of the pressure difference. If you are shooting .223 in a 5.56 it will work fine but 5.56 in a .223 is a concern. Not an expert just repeating what I was taught.

[quote]hkd wrote:
Make sure to check the chambering on the mini14 some are .223 which is a lower chamber pressure than 5.56. I got to attend AR15 armorer class and they made a big deal out of the pressure difference. If you are shooting .223 in a 5.56 it will work fine but 5.56 in a .223 is a concern. Not an expert just repeating what I was taught.[/quote]

Yeah, was my understanding as well. According to the rugar site they are all 556.

Good to know Ruger is doing it right. Mini14 is a fun gun.