Gun Love Thread

This weekend I’m picking up an XD 4" .45 subcompact with 3 mags filled with XTP, a leather owb holster (right handed) and leather mag pouch, and a iwb leftie holster for $400. This is mostly going to be for home defense so it’s probably a little tiny for my hands but will be good for the lady.

Thoughts on this thing? I’m looking forward to getting some range time (or going to my buddies house in the woods)

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:
This weekend I’m picking up an XD 4" .45 subcompact with 3 mags filled with XTP, a leather owb holster (right handed) and leather mag pouch, and a iwb leftie holster for $400. This is mostly going to be for home defense so it’s probably a little tiny for my hands but will be good for the lady.

Thoughts on this thing? I’m looking forward to getting some range time (or going to my buddies house in the woods)[/quote]

I own 2 XD’s and 1 XDM. You will love it especially how accurate they shoot and how good they feel in the hand.

XD is a great gun. The gun, mags, and leather sounds like a pretty good deal. One of my coworkers uses a springfield with extended mags. That may be an XDM. The mags extend the grip for large hands.

Good! I’m looking forward to getting it. If the hand fitment is an issue I’ll look into the extended mags to help

Thoughts on this thing? I’m looking forward to getting some range time (or going to my buddies house in the woods)[/quote]

http://gearup.springfield-armory.com/Gearup.asp

I’m pretty inexperienced, but I’ve never liked the XD personally the few times I’ve shot one. It never seemed to fit my hand nor feel very accurate. The Sig P229 in .40 has been the most comfortable and accurate gun I’ve shot.

I’ve been really tempted to buy an H&K P30L or HK45 though… I’ve held both, but I’ve not had the opportunity to shoot one yet. I’ve shot the USP45 and liked it, despite the blocky grip.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:

http://gearup.springfield-armory.com/Gearup.asp[/quote]

Thank you sir but that is for “new.” I am acquiring a “new-to-me” one. That’s pretty cool though.

Picked me up a IWI Tavor. I have been wavering on pulling the trigger on this precious for awhile. I am going to go with a eotech exps2 on her I believe.

[quote]Bauber wrote:
Picked me up a IWI Tavor. I have been wavering on pulling the trigger on this precious for awhile. I am going to go with a eotech exps2 on her I believe.[/quote]

Just curious, but why the Tavor and not another bullpup?

[quote]Bauber wrote:
Picked me up a IWI Tavor. I have been wavering on pulling the trigger on this precious for awhile. I am going to go with a eotech exps2 on her I believe.[/quote]

but… but… where to you put the magpul furniture and tactical accessories?

[quote]pushharder wrote:

If by chance you fellers don’t send me to Iceland for my birthday like I was hoping you could always get me one of these.[/quote]

you’ll shoot your eye out.

[quote]Bauber wrote:

There is a video on how to hold a Tavor floating around that is very useful.

I bought one and was enjoying it, but was holding it like an AR-15. My 4th daughter (who trained with one and carries one as a medic) taught me how to hold it in a manner you can really change magazines quickly.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:

[quote]Bauber wrote:

Just curious, but why the Tavor and not another bullpup?[/quote]

I’ll jump in and say why I did:

1. Lefty and it takes about 2 seconds to set up for left-handed use.

2. Uses AR-15 mags, including Magpul.

3. Lot easier to learn and use than some.

4. The obvious reasons

Spectacular home defense, close quarters, weapon.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[/quote]

This alone must make semiauto rifles a pain the ass for you in general.

I have seen plent of “ambi” on the internet, zero in stores. But this is MA so it could just be a communist thing where we dont’ have a good selection of rifles.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[/quote]

This alone must make semiauto rifles a pain the ass for you in general.

I have seen plent of “ambi” on the internet, zero in stores. But this is MA so it could just be a communist thing where we dont’ have a good selection of rifles. [/quote]

And those are not truly ambi, in that the round still discharges across your face when held left.

I also bought one of the few 5.45X39 conversion kits that hit the market (before cancellation due to political pressure — it’s the Russian Ak74 round designed to be most effective against someone in body armor) – because its so cheap to shoot 5.45, not because I particularly want to shoot someone in body armor.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Speaking of bullpups, I think I mentioned this awhile back but I plan to convert my SKS to this bullpup.

Anyone done this or something similar?

http://www.cbrps.com/SKS.html

Advice?[/quote]

Depends on what you are going to use it for. My only caution would be too watch out if you use it for accuracy required stuff, as the triggers on the bullpups can be pretty heavy. The Tavor is like that and I’m not sure how the mechanism on that conversion works or if it would affect reliability at all. It’s something I would look into.

One of my shooting buddies has one of the DTA SR1’s in 300 win mag. The trigger on that thing is excellent and it has hit 5" targets at 1000 yards accurately. Totally different application though than what I think you are going for.

Congrats! Awesome weapon. Get a IWB too. That’s a very concealable gun.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
I want.

S & W .460 XVR

Shoots .45 Long Colts for plinking all the way up to big, badass 395 gr. bear stoppers.

If by chance you fellers don’t send me to Iceland for my birthday like I was hoping you could always get me one of these.[/quote]

Freedom Arms makes a really nice 45 LC. It will set you back 2G’s, but it’s American made and can shoot perfect holes through rolling quarters.