Gun Love Thread

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Jackie_Jacked wrote:

…Plus, background check and two days later, in hand…

[/quote]

WTF, you have to wait TWO DAYS to take possession of a new weapon? Really? What state do you live in?

It takes me all of 10 minutes in MT.
[/quote]

HA!

It takes a week in MD and I had to be classified as a collector by the State to avoid the one purchase every 30 days rule.

[quote]waldo21212 wrote:
I don’t see it ever getting to the point where they come for what you already legally own. If we do get to that point, well, hopefully I’m no longer around.

As far as gun love, I’m planning on getting my CCW permit soon, so I’ll be in the market for a .380 or 9 mm “pocket pistol” such as the Tarus TCP, Ruger LCP, or Kel-Tec.

Anyone have any thoughts on the above? I already own a S&W Sigma 9 mm, so I do like the ability to use the same ammo between the 2 guns if I go the 9 mm over the .380 route.
[/quote]

Check out the CZ-82. It uses the 9x18 Mak which is somewhere between a .380 and 9mm. Surplus ammo is cheap. You can also get the CZ-83. Same gun in .380. They’re both 12+1 double stack. If you want a more compact, there is the P64, which is a 9x18 single stack.

I really wanted to like Kel-Tec but the P3AT I have experience with failed (cracked frame), and was never reliable, even after sending it back.

My next purchase will be an AR-15 and AK-47 (AK-74?) before they get banned.

What I’d really like to do is figure out how to finish 80% receivers.

My last purchase was a Gen 4 Glock 26 i got from a pawnshop for $499 new. Nice little gun, much easier to carry than my XD .45. My only complaint is that my little finger hangs off the grip, which ive ordered a pearce grip extension to fix.

http://www.pistolandpawn.com/

As far as gun shops go larry’s pistol & pawn is one of the best places to buy on the internet, even beating buds on some prices. The bricks & mortar store located in Huntsville, Alabama is possibly one of the most well stocked gun stores i have ever been in.

Enemies foreign and Domestic along with Unintended Consequences by John Ross are great books, EF&D in particular seems eerily prophetic.

Wish list:

Remington 700
Glock 21SF
S & W .44 Magnum
Mossberg 590, Benelli Super 90, or a Remingotn 870
Some type of AR-15 platform

CS

Colt has released a new Mustang which is 100% parts-compatible with the old Mustang but apparently is actually (!) machined accurately and with no reported heat treatment issues, which had been a problem with the models from the early 90’s, and for all I know may have been no great shakes during the 80’s either. Supposedly they are going to release a full line of new 380’s.

If they actually do release a steel Government Model 380 in the next year that is the same as the previous model except, again, better built, I would probably get it as a small carry option as the previous model was extremely good handling:

Years back I gave up on the previous model because the ejector had gone bad, Colt was not making replacement parts, and as this was a chronic problem with that gun, there were no ejectors to be had anywhere.

The new Mustang would mean that ejectors, and nearly all parts, can now be found for old Government models, but the price of used ones has shot up to about $900 now, which I think is pretty excessive for a gun built to only moderate standards of quality control. $600 for a new one built to the current Colt standard would be well worth it though.

Unfortunately, even though the term “full line” was used, I tend to doubt that they will make a steel-frame version this time around. It seems that these days nearly everyone just can’t stand carrying the few ounces that steel adds over aluminum, so Colt could well decide that there wouldn’t be enough demand.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
I just bought these two: a S & W SD 40 VE and a Remington 870 tactical.

(BTW, V is NOT for Vendetta)[/quote]

Dude, Gun safety begins at home … lace your damn boots up.

Whats next? Running with scissors?

[quote]orion wrote:

Agree with Four60, above. Try local first. Last Tuesday, I picked up a Beretta PX4 Storm from Scheels and they still had AR-15’s there. Their prices are also less than online too, or at least for the few that I had my eye on. Plus, background check and two days later, in hand. No waiting for weeks on end. Mind you, I went back last night to look for an ammo box and much of their stock had been sold so it’s going fast. They’re still there but I wouldn’t wait for too long.[/quote]

I am very interested in the Beretta because according to Austrian gun law that is actually a pistol.

Yeah, I know.

How does it feel?

I am weird that way, a gun has to feel just right.[/quote]

I have the F 9mm. It’s new and I haven’t shot it yet but as far as feel goes – it’s very balanced although I found it a little big for my hands. The slide, I had a hard time with and ,the magazine…17 rounds were not going into that thing - yet. It didn’t feel particularly “natural” to me but it’s gotten great reviews so I will reserve judgement until I actually get to use it.

I am probably not the best person to ask about such things at this point, however. It’s only been the last year or so that I have really gotten to shoot. My father in law has a nice collection going and he would pick one or two out each time we’d shoot. It was great fun but I did find myself frustrated that I wasn’t awarded the opportunity to really explore and handle the firearms much. They would be handed to me ready to fire and all I had to deal with was the safety. To say that I have much to learn would be an understatement but it is still exhilarating and I’m eager to learn.

TL;DR - I’m undecided right now but am a beginner compared to everyone else here. You’d probably (definitely) get a better review from one of the guys.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[/quote]

WTF, you have to wait TWO DAYS to take possession of a new weapon? Really? What state do you live in?

[/quote]

I’m in Wisconsin and I didn’t think that 2 days was that bad. I am blown away with 10 minutes in MT.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I’m in Wisconsin and I didn’t think that 2 days was that bad. I am blown away with 10 minutes in MT.[/quote]

Three days in IL and if you have the firearm shipped to an FFL, it’s 3 days from the day they receive it so it could easily wind up being over a week.

I’m looking to sell a watch to a guy for a revolver in trade plus some funds, so I may be the new proud owner of a satin stainless Colt Python with a 6" barrel.

My favorite is this one with the matching bayonet. It has some damage to the mum but it’s about 50% intact. I would love to find some rounds for it but I’m not sure that I trust it 100%.

james

I have the F 9mm. It’s new and I haven’t shot it yet but as far as feel goes – it’s very balanced although I found it a little big for my hands.

It was great fun but I did find myself frustrated that I wasn’t awarded the opportunity to really explore and handle the firearms much. They would be handed to me ready to fire and all I had to deal with was the safety. To say that I have much to learn would be an understatement but it is still exhilarating and I’m eager to learn.
[/quote]

My husband says the grip of the gun you chose is very big, if it is the 92F.

One of the main factors in my purchase of the HK P30L V1 40 S&W was the grip which also comes with adjustments for both the length and the width.: You can even have a thicker side on the right and a thiner panel on the left.

It was very funny to hear how they “handle you” the gun…I feel your frustration.
Tell them: You are not going to always be there to handle me the gun in an emergency situation - don’t you want me to be competent to do so in your absence?

My husband got me snap caps for the shotgun. I actually did not want to go to shoot without knowing the gun intimately. I wanted to practice and watch the mechanics of firing with it empty and he taught me it was not good for the gun and got me the snap caps.

I find the snap caps a great way to develop awareness of what your hands are “doing” during the whole process.

Hands on experience is a great confidence builder: It does not allow for you to fool yourself - you will know if you suck.
I particularly pay attention to what my finger does in relation to the trigger after firing, specially not to develop a lazy habit to keep it in the trigger just because its fake bullets.

Why not ask your father-in-law or husband to get you some snap caps?

I have not been able to shoot yet. Been nurturing an injury and am home bound at the moment.

Last purchase. Mossberg 500, Thunder Ranch edition. Basic, but infinitely customizable and versatile. I’ve added a shell holder to the stock.

I own:

1. Springfield 45 Stubby - ported ( wanna get rid of this gun, kinda worthless)
  2. Remington 870 (the chevy of shotguns)
  3. 1921 model M1 30.06 (provides some max penetration)

but,

have been talking about getting the H&K ACP 45 for a few years now, need to get off my ass and buy it~

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Last purchase. Mossberg 500, Thunder Ranch edition. Basic, but infinitely customizable and versatile. I’ve added a shell holder to the stock. [/quote]

I also picked up a Mossberg 500 recently! Pistol grip, 18.5" barrel, and evil heat shield. Wicked fun.