Gun Love II

Side topic but let’s get onto standards. I picked up an RSR RST target a little bit ago. It’s steel an IPSC/UPSA A/B zone with about 1/2 of a C-zone. Maybe 2+ inches on both sides, so it is significant size increase but not a complete blaster target. I’ll measure it sooner or later.

I was working 25 yard draw and 25 yard 2 + reload 2 drills. From my competition gear I was getting solid dings at 1.5 second draw with .8 second splits. Reloads were slow about 2 seconds. I was very happy with draw time but disappointed with splits and reload. I haven’t handled my competition gun in awhile and may go back to shooting Glock 19 just to keep it simple.

A couple weeks ago I did a draw shoot 2 at a 3x5 card at 15 yards from concealement with 19. Times were about 4 seconds, with a 2 second draw and 2 second split. OK with these times but was only consistent about 50% of the time.

I’m confident in close (<10 yards) but moving out is where I need work.

Does anybody else practice these?

[quote]theuofh wrote:

…A bunch of stuff twojarslave can’t do…

Does anybody else practice these? [/quote]

Can’t say that I do, but I was fortunate enough to go to town with my Glock 19 on a structurally intact pickup truck several weeks ago in my buddy’s very large backyard. Glass and everything. It was fun.

Maine. The way life should be.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]theuofh wrote:
A little late, but I did a 4 day advanced handgun course a few weeks ago. Another great learning experience. 9-5 4 days, then came back 7-10:30 or so two days for low light. Loaded 3k rounds for it but shot about 1200-1400. Brand new Gen 3 Glock 19 with some night sights put on the night before. It ran without a hitch.

Basic shooting warmup, review of room clearing in the live-fire houses, then same thing working stair wells and 3D angles, then some more advanced shoot and move w/ muzzle control drills.

Next days were the same, more practice in the live fire houses and some force on force simulation work with airsoft guns (the M&P airsoft guns are great btw), then the same in the dark with flashlight technique.

One of the scenarios was a home invasion where you come home and you find your door open and you hear badguys in the process of violently assaulting your wife/girlfriend and you have to go in and get her out. A SWAT trainer was running it, and doing a great job, simulating the voices of the bad guys and setting the scenario. Adrenaline went way up and ability to think went way down.

For class fees, hotel, food, ammo it’s not cheap, but if you have the opportunity to do some more advanced force on force or simunitions training from a reputable school or instructor, it’s worth it.

[/quote]

I’m jealous. Gimme the details on where and how much if you don’t mind.
[/quote]

I sent you a PM.

The other thing we touched on was weapon retention and ECQB. Next one I do will probably focus on that.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
I thought this was interesting. Any comments?

I have a question for you legal types/police officers: does a municipal cop have the legitimate authority to stop, detain, and inspect the weapon in question based strictly on an unsubstantiated guess that the person may not have bought a federal tax stamp?[/quote]

I’d be interested in the answers. I’d guess it depends on local gun laws to establish probable cause to stop and detain. Open carry, in a car etc.

On a side note. I was back in Washington, D.C. A month ago to take care of some paperwork at MPD and stopped into the gun registration room to talk to a friend and hear what they had to say about the recent DC gun rights cases. While I’m there this big shaved headed dude with a printing pistol under his tight underarmor shirt walks in and jumps ahead of the security guards getting licensed asking about gun registration database. Clearly he doesn’t know what he’s talking about and the officers are trying to figure out what he’s trying to ask. He came through security with a gun so everyone is thinking he’s a Marshall or other federal agent. Finally he explains that he is a fire department arson investigator and that he’s checking the legal status of a firearm that was in a DC home that caught fire. Apparently the resident told the fire department about the gun and retrieved it from a safe, since his house burned down the insurance company had him in a DC hotel with his gun with him. The investigator found out the gun is registered, seems disappointed and then starts asking if he can arrest him for the gun since DC only allows guns in “homes” and he’s in violation in a hotel.

To go this far out of his ways to try to bang up a guy who’s house burned down and was legally registered and told the fire department about the gun was unreal. Luckily for the other guy the MPD officers were not willing to go along with this. I don’t know what motivates people to be such a-holes. And I am glad I do not live in Washington DC.

I shot Todd Green’s FAST drill yesterday for the first time (F.A.S.T. (Fundamentals, Accuracy, & Speed Test) – pistol-training.com). Glock 22, AIWB under a polo w/ no undershirt with the reload at 9 o clock. IPSC standard target at 7 yards.

First run, cold, was 5.92 clean : 1.99,+.84,+2.13,~.30 splits

I did 10 more reps and worked down to 5.02 last and best run, 60% of them clean. Biggest issue was rushing the second head shot and jerking low, which I do a lot when I’m trying to shoot fast versus having a clean trigger break. Next problem was the reload getting caught in my cover garment yielding a rushed post reload shot which ended up just outside of hit area.

I need to load some more ammo.

That’s sexy as hell push

Agreed, sexy blaster. How’s it shoot?

Turning 21 soon what should my first gun be? I’m very ignorant when it comes to guns because my family was very liberal and never owned a gun when growing up. Anyways what’s a good first handgun for a someone that’s looking home protection?

[quote]Justliftbrah wrote:
Turning 21 soon what should my first gun be? I’m very ignorant when it comes to guns because my family was very liberal and never owned a gun when growing up. Anyways what’s a good first handgun for a someone that’s looking home protection?[/quote]

A Red Ryder BB Gun makes a good first gun. I must’ve put 20,000 BB’s through mine, learning plenty of lessons along the way.

If you are dead-set on a handgun that makes a boom for your first gun, well, the answer to your question depends on how much effort you intend on putting into learning about guns.

If your effort towards firearm education has reached its peak with this post, I’d urge you to reconsider handgun ownership. If I had to recommend a defensive caliber handgun to an irresponsible jackass, I’d probably steer him towards a revolver in .38 special with a shrouded hammer and a very heavy trigger pull above 12 lbs. You really gotta try hard to fuck up with one of those, and it will still make a very convincing argument should you be forced to fire it in anger.

If your effort towards firearm education might include a few NRA safety courses, reading a few books, spending some time watching safety videos on youtube, and lots of practice in both dry-fire and live ammo scenarios, I might steer a first-time handgun owner towards a 9mm semi-automatic. I have no regrets with buying a Glock 19 as my first handgun, but then again, I’m not a dumbass.

Others who follow this thread might have more specific recommendations. I may not be a dumbass with my handguns, but I’m a long ways away from any level of expertise.

[quote]Justliftbrah wrote:
Turning 21 soon what should my first gun be? I’m very ignorant when it comes to guns because my family was very liberal and never owned a gun when growing up. Anyways what’s a good first handgun for a someone that’s looking home protection?[/quote]

Going to echo the courses/training too.

After that, an SR22 or the Smith & Wesson/Walther version. And a 10/22.

I was taught, and fully agree that a rifle is the nature extension of a man’s self, and a pistol is just your last ditch effort to fight back to your rifle. As the very tall Native American that posts around here sometimes told me awhile ago, get a 10/22 and learn how to shoot. They are decent with good enough precision out of the box, and actually quite fun if you have a space with steel to plink. Ammo is cheap(er) and available these days.

Then get yourself a .22LR cal semi pistol, and learn how to handle the pistol. Learn rifle, then pistol.

Like our Maine friend said, if you are dead set on a big boy caliber, get a revolver, and stick with 38. I’d say you’ll end up with something like a GP101 or some such, which is double/single action and 357. Which isn’t what I’d give as a gift to a rank newb, but there are worse things for a beginner to have in the safe.

Honestly though, there is a small(ish) amount of general book knowledge you should have before even considering a firearm purchase if you didn’t grow up with them. Things like what the action is, striker fired, hammer fired, difference between double and single action… etc.

Just put your ego in the back seat and don’t do something like go out and buy a 1911 or glock and fire a fucking round into your thigh holstering it the first time when you get home while dicking around. These aren’t toys. they aren’t dick extensions and they won’t “make you a man.” Don’t fuck around, don’t play around, don’t handle guns while drunk and don’t act like a petulant child.