Gun Love II

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:

I would look around a little, midway is high on some things, especially ammo. [/quote]

Yeah, I’m not going to buy from midway necessarily, I just like their layout the best for reading up on the optic.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

I would look around a little, midway is high on some things, especially ammo. [/quote]

Yeah, I’m not going to buy from midway necessarily, I just like their layout the best for reading up on the optic. [/quote]

I wouldn’t hesitate about looking in the second hand market for a Vortex. They have a good no questions asked warranty.

[quote]theuofh wrote:

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

Yeah, I’m not going to buy from midway necessarily, I just like their layout the best for reading up on the optic. [/quote]

I wouldn’t hesitate about looking in the second hand market for a Vortex. They have a good no questions asked warranty.[/quote]

Yeah, I have not ruled that out. But would like to hold it and look through it if I buy used. I don’t want something someone put on a 50 cal that won’t hold zero anymore, and lose out on a couple weeks shooting waiting for shipping.

In on gun love 2. Glock 41 on the way

It brings a tear to my eye that this thread has been so successful and largely apolitical. Just lovin’ things that blow the fuck out of other things.
I got nothin’ new coming. Just 1500 rounds of ammo to put down range with what I got. Still can’t find FMJ .357 mag, everything else is available and cheap (relatively speaking) .

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:
In on gun love 2. Glock 41 on the way[/quote]

Nice. Looking for a good set of dove tail fiber optics for my SR1911… Somebody broke my front site, I got it fixed, but it’s never been as accurate. The hold is totally different so I figured I would change out the Novak dots for fiber optics front and rear. Any suggestions?

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-12-04/will-the-military-pistol-contract-return-to-american-hands

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:

Nice. Looking for a good set of dove tail fiber optics for my SR1911… Somebody broke my front site, I got it fixed, but it’s never been as accurate. The hold is totally different so I figured I would change out the Novak dots for fiber optics front and rear. Any suggestions?[/quote]

I have my eye on Dawson precision fiber optic sights at dawsonprecision.com. Lots of options available and reasonably priced.

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:

Nice. Looking for a good set of dove tail fiber optics for my SR1911… Somebody broke my front site, I got it fixed, but it’s never been as accurate. The hold is totally different so I figured I would change out the Novak dots for fiber optics front and rear. Any suggestions?[/quote]

I have my eye on Dawson precision fiber optic sights at dawsonprecision.com. Lots of options available and reasonably priced.[/quote]

I have the Dawson’s on a couple Glocks.

If you buy it as a set the front sight is .105" wide and the rear notch is .125". The front/rear on most carry sights is closer to .140/.145", so you get a lot more precision and a much different sight picture, but because the rear notch is so narrow it can be harder to find the front sight. You can order them separately in sizes of your choosing.

Overall, I’m pretty happy with the Dawsons, like the narrow front, and would like to experiment with a slighter wider rear notch.

[quote]theuofh wrote:

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]Maiden3.16 wrote:

I have my eye on Dawson precision fiber optic sights at dawsonprecision.com. Lots of options available and reasonably priced.[/quote]

I have the Dawson’s on a couple Glocks.

If you buy it as a set the front sight is .105" wide and the rear notch is .125". The front/rear on most carry sights is closer to .140/.145", so you get a lot more precision and a much different sight picture, but because the rear notch is so narrow it can be harder to find the front sight. You can order them separately in sizes of your choosing.

Overall, I’m pretty happy with the Dawsons, like the narrow front, and would like to experiment with a slighter wider rear notch.

[/quote]

I think I will be getting them separate. I’m thinking a adjustable rear .125 and a .300 tall front .105 wide. I want to maximize the accuracy of the 41. Good to hear you like them I’ve heard and read a lot of good things about them.

In for gun love 2! Just picked up a Smith M&P sport AR and have a couple hundred rounds through it so far. My first rifle other than just .22s and shotguns, so im looking forward to it. What are you AR guys using for oil? Ive heard good things about frog lube and slip 2000, but hell some guys claim to use 10w-30 on theirs with no problem.

[quote]GetitUp wrote:
In for gun love 2! Just picked up a Smith M&P sport AR and have a couple hundred rounds through it so far. My first rifle other than just .22s and shotguns, so im looking forward to it. What are you AR guys using for oil? Ive heard good things about frog lube and slip 2000, but hell some guys claim to use 10w-30 on theirs with no problem.[/quote]

I understand that AR’s use their own special lubricant due to the whole direct gas impingement thing, and I’m not an AR guy. But when I bought my M-14 this year I read up a lot on lubricants, and for semi-autos in general you want grease, not oil, on your moving parts.

Many hours of further research revealed that there are many different types of grease which have a variety of properties as far as how they function in different temperature ranges etc. A lot of guys of course recomend the high dollar greases formulated especially for firearms, but some guys highly recommend the Mobil 1 synthetic grease pictured above. It has the exact same properties of the more expensive gun greases for a fraction of the cost and you can buy it at any Advance Auto store.

I like cheap and convenient, and I loathe the feeling that I might have paid way too much for repackaged snake oil. In other words, I wondered if some of the high dollar gun greases were just something common like the Mobil 1, with a different coloring and a few completely pointless proprietary ingredients thrown in to disguise what it really is. I’m not saying that Uncle Willy’s super special gun lube isn’t super special, but I like to keep things simple.

Again, use whatever the AR guys recommend for ARs, but for the moving parts on other semi-autos, use grease. And not a whole lot of it. After shooting you shouldn’t see build up any where, and whether you use oil or grease, it should never be shedding it while you shoot. For non-moving parts where I need rust protection I use Ballistol. I used to use Rem-oil, but occasionally found a little rust after the fact.

That was a long post, and of course my pic is sideways. That’s probably not new info to most gun guys, but I had to learn all this on my own. I use grease on my 1911 also and it stays slick as shit, and nothing comes out the back of the rails the way oil did.

Thanks for that Gabby, im not one of those guys that grew up with a gun in my hand either so a lot of this is new to me. My father-in-law is very knowledgeable on the subject, but tends to be very vague when he tells me “just make sure you keep the bolt carrier group wet(oiled) and itll run like a champ.” I guess he forgets that i have no idea what the hell im doing with this AR for the most part, so ive been scrounging around the AR15 and M4 forums and learning all i can on my own too. Once i figure out how to post pics on here ill throw up a couple of the new boomstick.

[quote]GetitUp wrote:
Thanks for that Gabby, im not one of those guys that grew up with a gun in my hand either so a lot of this is new to me. My father-in-law is very knowledgeable on the subject, but tends to be very vague when he tells me “just make sure you keep the bolt carrier group wet(oiled) and itll run like a champ.” I guess he forgets that i have no idea what the hell im doing with this AR for the most part, so ive been scrounging around the AR15 and M4 forums and learning all i can on my own too. Once i figure out how to post pics on here ill throw up a couple of the new boomstick.[/quote]

I have the m&p sport also. I haven’t had any issues with it good gun for the price I think.

You will learn the basics pretty quick. It’s one thing to like guns in general but totally different when you actually get one for yourself. Just by scrounging around the forums you probably know more than the average person already. There is a lot of good info out there. Don’t forget youtube.

Slip 2000 is good stuff. I use it on my 1911 and it is like the slide is on ball bearings. In the AR the bolt and carrier seem much more quiet and smooth when cycling. Nothing wrong with frog lube, we got some free samples and it seemed to work well. Both are environmentally friendly. As you mentioned keep the bolt wet and it should work well. Make sure no residual oil is in the bore or chamber. Oil will not compress and can bulge the barrel.

[quote]hkd wrote:
[/quote]

I am not sure there is “one answer” for oil vs. grease. It depends on your temperature and dust level (and type of dust). In Trashcanistan, in the summer, you needed a very weird lubricant that I think had some sort of silicone in it. Otherwise, you got dust and your weapon jammed, so much so that guys were preferring to test out and use AK-47s early in the conflict. Same stuff in the winter was too thick and the weapon would not cycle.

My new toy. Have a suppressor for it, not shown.

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:
My new toy. Have a suppressor for it, not shown.[/quote]

Tavor?

[quote]GetitUp wrote:
Just picked up a Smith M&P sport AR and have a couple hundred rounds through it so far. My first rifle other than just .22s and shotguns, so im looking forward to it. [/quote]

Couple things, which relate to your question:

Pay attention to where your rifle is throwing brass. You aren’t in a war zone like TTR, you are at a range punching holes in paper. Take advantage of that to learn your rifle. You want the brass to be at 3 O’clock to 430 and a consistent distance away. My AR tosses it 10’ tops my MINI 14 throws brass into another zipcode. Different ammo will throw differently. I’m getting Federal Lake City @ $.36 a round right now, so that is all I shoot out of the AR, and shoot Tula out of the MINI. When the same ammo starts coming out of the gun differently something is up, maybe not wrong, just up.

You can use motor oil no problems, in fact I keep a stick of lithium grease in my range bag incase I have issues (more on this later) to lube my rails.

You, again, are at a range and not in a war zone, the rifle doesn’t have to be spit shined every time you use it. I clean after every trip, unless I shoot less than 100 out of it, but I don’t get it immaculate. Clean your chamber good and the barrel for sure. Give the BCG some love and you’re all set just wiping down the rest of the shit.

I use 3 things to clean. Straight acetone to clean. Then I’ll use a cheap CLP on a second bore snake to keep the barrel from rusting, and Frog Lube on the rest of the internals. Shit evaporates quick, so move fast, but it breaks up any gunk the world has ever seen. So if you don’t wipe fast the carbon build up just becomes thicker sludge that is harder to clean lol.

Some people HATE frog lube. Their marketing is bullshit, and it tends to gum up in the cold. I just work my action a dozen or so times and it seems fine so far, but I also don’t lube the shit out of my rifle. My bold and pins themselves are “wet” and the RAILS on the carrier are “wet” but for the most part my bolt is dry. Frog Lube stays where you put it, therefore you don’t need a ton. Any oil or CLP that travels… You’re best bet is to lube before your range trips and coat for rust prevention while it sits in the safe.

My main reason for Frog Lube is the kids. My daughter will “help daddy” clean his guns from time to time, and seeing as she is two, I don’t have to worry about it getting on her hands and her eating it. (She mainly just piles up the patches and qtips in a cup over and over, lol.)

I’ve seen people running ARs that are basically soaked in grease and oil, and cleaned for hours after every trip. Compared, I run my shit dirty and dry, lol and it runs like a champ. I’m well over 1k rounds and haven’t had a single issue, not even mag related. But I don’t run bullshit ammo through the thing either. I save that for the MINI.