Gumbel: Olympics Are Too White

Let a white journalist say the NBA is too black… The double standard is so obvious it makes what he said even funnier.

Gumbel: Winter Olympics Too White

February 16, 2006
BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

GUMBEL: The winter games. Count me among those who don’t like 'em and won’t watch them. In fact, I figure when Thomas Paine said, “These are the times that try men’s souls,” he must have been talking about the start of another winter Olympics.

Because they’re so trying, maybe over the next three weeks we should all try, too, by trying not to be incredulous when someone attempts to link these games to those of the ancient Greeks who never heard of skating or skiing. So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the winter games look like a GOP convention.

RUSH: (Laughing.) I’ll tell you what, there are a lot of communists there, though, Bryant. It’s got to be a tough choice for you here. You may not be able to watch the blacks that you like skiing in the downhill and on the luge and the two- and four-man bobsled, but there are plenty of commies over there.

In fact, one of our guys ought to be signaled out. What is this guy’s name, Weir? Put on an old throw-back Soviet Union jacket with the CCCP logo on it? Yeah, he’s dating some Svetlana, you know, some Russian babe, and she gave him that for his birthday or something. He’s running around over there wearing those old Soviet Union jerseys, or warmup jackets, and it’s caused some people to notice. But here’s a blatantly racial comment. He just accused the Republican Party here of being total racists. I betcha he could have even gotten away with saying that on ESPN without any flak…

What the hell is the point of this thread?

[quote]paul bunyan wrote:
What the hell is the point of this thread?[/quote]

It’s funny.

Guumbel said:

“So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the winter games look like a GOP convention.”

Now try this:

“So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of whites that makes the NBA look like a NAACP convention.”

LOL

[quote]paul bunyan wrote:
What the hell is the point of this thread?[/quote]

To anger T-nations only black member, Professor X.

He actually made those statements?

That is funny coming from the Whitest Black Man in America, who dates a blonde white woman.

Anyway, this is ridiculous - I don’t see too many black dudes growing up in Norway learning to XC ski or ski jump or for that matter how many black kids in Utah or Minnesota picking up hockey?

It’s not racism, per se, it’s just lack of access and interest.

If Gumbel really said that, he’s not only a pompous windbag, but a real hypocrite dickhead too.

Everyone know that this guy is an idiot.

White people like Wayne Brady because he makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcolm X.

[quote]doogie wrote:
White people like Wayne Brady because he makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcolm X.[/quote]

nice one. “Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?”

[quote]Jack Strummer wrote:
paul bunyan wrote:
What the hell is the point of this thread?

To anger T-nations only black member, Professor X.[/quote]

Are you freaking kidding me?

I thought it was pretty funny…

Of course the Winter Olympics are white. Who would want to ski on black snow?

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Of course the Winter Olympics are white. Who would want to ski on black snow?[/quote]

hahahaha! Doesn’t take much to make me laught these days…back to con law and motion for summary judgment. fun friday night… At least T-Nation provides a nice diversion for stupid, busy work weekends like this

I’m glad to know that summer olympic sports such as basketball were familiar to the ancient greeks.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Of course the Winter Olympics are white. Who would want to ski on black snow?[/quote]

Hahahahahahaha good one

Gumbel, are you good at any sports??? Does it make you mad that there aren’t any black people who are good enough at the winter games to be in them? Oh, but wait, isn’t there a Jamaican bobsled team?

Bryant Gumbel is a retarded.

Shani Davis, speedskating, 1000m world record holder, current World Allround Champion, favorite to win the 1000m tomorrow. Black as they get.

fuckin Bryant Gumbel…

Plus,isn’t Gumbel half white?If he isn’t,hes the whitest looking black guy outside of the Jackson clan.

well done shani

Gumbel is a racist, and he’s been one for years.

[quote]RHINO928 wrote:
Let a white journalist say the NBA is too black… The double standard is so obvious it makes what he said even funnier.[/quote]
I agree there is a double standard. If Gumbel had been white, he would probably have been fired by now.