Gum Shields/Bodybuilding & Weightlifting

When i was watching WSM earlier this year did anyone else notice that the competitors were wearing mouth guards?

I just saw Jay Cutler wearing one as well on his newest pictures on facebook.

What you think about this. I heard that it was something to do with the muscles in the jaw being balanced makes the rest of your body balance out?

Bull shit or science?

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
When i was watching WSM earlier this year did anyone else notice that the competitors were wearing mouth guards?

What you think about this. I heard that it was something to do with the muscles in the jaw being balanced makes the rest of your body balance out?

Bull shit or science?[/quote]

It’s just to avoid biting your tongue or ruining your teeth.

I don’t wear one, but I can understand why some people would. I’ve accidentally clashed teeth hard while I was grinding out a rep.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
I heard that it was something to do with the muscles in the jaw being balanced makes the rest of your body balance out?[/quote]

It also makes it hard a fuck to breath. The nose just wasn’t made for large rushes of air. We never kept them in during football drills or sprints because you’d be winded much quicker. I don;t know why they would use these in WSM for that reason

[quote]ElevenMag wrote:
It also makes it hard a fuck to breath. The nose just wasn’t made for large rushes of air. We never kept them in during football drills or sprints because you’d be winded much quicker. I don;t know why they would use these in WSM for that reason[/quote]

I don’t know if I even take a single breath on a max set of deadlifts! I could see it being an issue on some events, but not all of them.

I agree with the others its just to keep from grinding your teeth together when fully exerting yourself.

Just don’t be like the guy at my old gym who used a mouth guard on EVERY set of EVERY exercise

there’s a study somewhere that shows it lowers cortisol production also

[quote]Marzouk wrote:

Bull shit or science?[/quote]

I’ve used a mouth guard many times for 1 reps maxes. I mostly used it for HEAVY (to me) leg presses. I think it has more to do with biting down hard causing a lot of tension to make you push harder.

There could be a easy study done to test this. I do think there is some merit.

I think it’s just preference really. Like some people like to use straps but I use chalk.