Gum and Diet Drinks

I was wondering the kind of effects sugar free gum and caffeine free, sugar free drinks could have on a cutting plan? I actually don’t drink anything but water as a beverage (or protein shake), but I do find myself chewing a fair amount of gum. Is it largely insignificant or could it become a problem?

[quote]Lejes wrote:
I was wondering the kind of effects sugar free gum and caffeine free, sugar free drinks could have on a cutting plan? I actually don’t drink anything but water as a beverage (or protein shake), but I do find myself chewing a fair amount of gum. Is it largely insignificant or could it become a problem?[/quote]

for hydration purposes, de-caffeinated or low in caffeine diet sodas are fine but may leave you bloated.

sugarless gum is a non-issue for a cutting plan but may not be as healthy for your teeth as they claim.

Sugar-free gums and all sugar-alcohol based products, think malitol, etc., should all be counted towards your carbohydrate intake. While they have little no effect on insulin, the body still treats them as carbohydrates and will need to be utlized. Contrary to popular belief, sugar alcohols are not fibre like in the way it passes through your system.

Cheers,

Sasha

From my reading sugar alcohols do have an impact on blood sugar, although not as much as sugar obviously.

Will 1-2 pieces a day hurt, probably not. But go through a whole pack might be a different story depending on how much BF you do want to drop.

I also thought that gum can be a mental effect that makes you hungry. Sort of like all the chewing makes you think you’re eating food but nothing is in your stomach makes you hungry. This could have an adverse effect while cutting.

As for the scientific schpeil, I got nothing.

The only thing I can add is that gum chewing is like cows chewing cud.