Guitar Players?

I think I’ve noticed over time that a lot of forum members are guitar players as well. Since my two favorite topics of conversation are training and guitar, I thought a guitar player thread might be in order. We’ve had some good threads on favorite solos and song lyrics. For you players out there, maybe we could discuss any or all of:

1. Who’s your all time favorite player?
  2. Got a favorite unknown (or little known) player?
  3. If you had to only have one guitar (and amp, for electric players), what would it be?
  4. anybody a gigging musician?
  5. What kind of music do you normally play?

For me, favorites are Santana, Duane Allman, Wes Montgomery and B.B. King. Showing my age, I know. One guitar? I own a PRS hollowbody that is the coolest looking, sweetest sounding, easiest playing guitar I’ve ever played. But, I own about 10 guitars. It’d be tough to give up any of them.

[quote]Skuebb wrote:
I think I’ve noticed over time that a lot of forum members are guitar players as well. Since my two favorite topics of conversation are training and guitar, I thought a guitar player thread might be in order. We’ve had some good threads on favorite solos and song lyrics. For you players out there, maybe we could discuss any or all of:

3. If you had to only have one guitar (and amp, for electric players), what would it be?

For me, favorites are Santana, Duane Allman, Wes Montogomery and B.B. King. Showing my age, I know. One guitar? I own a PRS hollowbody that is the coolest looking, sweetest sounding, easiest playing guitar I’ve ever played. But, I own about 10 guitars. It’d be tough to give up any of them.[/quote]

Well, I’m really a drummer, but I’ve picked up some guitar along the way (mainly when I was at Berklee). Favorite players would have to be John Renbourn, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, and Joe Satriani. Unknown, or at least I’ve only ever heard of him once, is Clive Carroll. Phenomenal steel string acoustic player from the UK. Like nothing I’ve ever heard before.

Favorite guitar would probably be a Martin D-45. Only played one a couple of times but nothing plays like a Martin in my opinion. Electric I can’t really choose but a friend of mine had an old strat and an old Fender Delta blues amp, man that sounded sweet.

I don’t gig anymore, did a lot in high school and college, but as a drummer. I just play guitar now for fun, and because I can’t play my drums at night or when other people are around.

As far as styles go, I’ve done it all. I’m a classically trained percussionist, have played orchestral music, marching band music, jazz, classical, rock, funk, musicals, etc… My favorites were when I was in a blues/rock/funk band, a funky jam band, and a ska/root reggae band. I’ve also played a good amount of punk, metal, and hardcore but it’s not as much fun for some reason.

1. Dimebag Darrell
    2)I won’t say unknown, but i always get sneered at when i say that mark tremonti is good.
    3)Guitar: Gibson Les Paul. You have to find the right one because they are all different. Amps: Roland JC-120 for cleans and Diezel run parallel with a Marshall Plexi for dirty sounds.
    4)I haven’t gigged in a while.
    5)Metal, Classical, Jazz

[quote]chewie wrote:

[/quote]

1. Dimebag, Steve Vai, James Hetfield, Slash, Tom Morello.

2. Matt Bellamy (Muse), Johnny Greenwood (Radiohead)

3. Gibson Les Paul plugged into Diezel Head and Soldano Cabinet.

4. Gigged when at university, better than workin.

5. Play Metal, hard & classic Rock

My all time favorite guitarist is Zakk Wylde. Him and Hendrix are the reasons I picked one up in the first place.

People sneer at Tremonti because of the Creed / Stapp assiciation, but he’s still a fine guitar player.

As for gear, nothing beats a Les Paul or a Telecaster.

[quote]metalhead1982 wrote:
chewie wrote:

[/quote]

1. John Petrucci, but that could change depending on what style.

2. Charlie Hunter- novelty player, but saw him live and he ripped

3. ?? Haven’t played them all. In fact, I’ve played relatively few. I like Jacksons and Marshalls, though. Martin for acoustic, but I grew up in Nazareth.

4. Not currently

5. Rock/Jazz/Acoustic love songs to the wee hours of the morning.

[quote]Skuebb wrote:

For me, favorites are Santana, Duane Allman, Wes Montgomery and B.B. King. Showing my age, I know. One guitar? I own a PRS hollowbody that is the coolest looking, sweetest sounding, easiest playing guitar I’ve ever played. But, I own about 10 guitars. It’d be tough to give up any of them.[/quote]

First of all, I suck, but im trying to get a little better at the guitar. I have been a super fan of the guitar player for a long time and am a virtuoso of the air guitar.

1-my all time favorite is Sweatty Teddy Nugent-I know he is not the most technical player, but im from detroit and I love his politics. Zakk Wylder is close behind, Alex lifeson, Jimmy Page in his prime, All those G3 players

I have a jackson and have no experience with any other guitar

I play(if you can call it that)metal and rock

oh yeah, i like steve howe

[quote]1) Who’s your all time favorite player?
2) Got a favorite unknown (or little known) player?
3) If you had to only have one guitar (and amp, for electric players), what would it be?
4) anybody a gigging musician?
5) What kind of music do you normally play?[/quote]

1. Steve Vai/Chet Atkins
  2. No
  3. Acoustic: Gibson J-150; Electric: Ibanez Jem77FP
  4. No
  5. I used to play Vai/Metallica/Van Halen stuff, but anymore I find myself playing/singing: Johnny Cash, Gordon Lightfoot, Jimmy Buffett, Hoyt Axton style stuff.
  1. I cant pick just one so…

Dime, King, Hanneman, Hetfield, Hammett, Mustaine, Friedman, Slash, Vai, Satch, Michael Ammott, Hendrix, Rhoads, Jake E Lee, Wylde, all 3 Iron Maiden guitarists, Angus & Malcolm Young…

1. Michael Ammott from Arch Enemy isnt that well known yet but he kicks ass. Also Jake E Lee dosent get enough credit.

2. My EMG equipped Dean and a Marshall. Wouldnt mind getting a Les Paul though.

3. Nah

4. Heavy Fucking Metal!! I noodle with the blues sometimes and even some classical stuff.

Zakk Wylde, Slash, Dimebag, Hammet, and Marty Friedman got me into playing, don’t have one favorite.

1. Got a favorite unknown (or little known) player?

Not really.

1. If you had to only have one guitar (and amp, for electric players), what would it be?

Handmade BC Rich Warlock into a Diezel Herbert Head / Mesa Cab.

1. anybody a gigging musician?

I play out once a month or so with my band, nothing serious, just for fun.

1. What kind of music do you normally play?

Hard Rock, Metal.

i really, really, like jimmy vaughn.

[quote]Applesauce wrote:
My all time favorite guitarist is Zakk Wylde. Him and Hendrix are the reasons I picked one up in the first place.

People sneer at Tremonti because of the Creed / Stapp assiciation, but he’s still a fine guitar player.

As for gear, nothing beats a Les Paul or a Telecaster.[/quote]

Thanks for the vid. I like to see that people still like Les Pauls.

[quote]Skuebb wrote:

For me, favorites are Santana, Duane Allman, Wes Montgomery and B.B. King. Showing my age, I know. One guitar? I own a PRS hollowbody that is the coolest looking, sweetest sounding, easiest playing guitar I’ve ever played. But, I own about 10 guitars. It’d be tough to give up any of them.[/quote]

Being that I named myself after that famous amplifier, I can’t avoid contributing to this one!

1)Eddie Van Halen
2)Mike Slamer from The Seventh Key
3)Gibson Les Paul and Marshall JCM800
4)have been in the past, not currently
5)just about any variation of rock and blues

Favorite player by far is Stevie Ray Vaughan. I also love Duane Allman’s slide playing

No really unknown players

I love to play blues(go figure)

Favorite guitar is my Martin acoustic, but playing a vintage Strat of my buddies sounded like heaven.

Good to hear from all the Guitar players out there. A company I work with, WorkshopLive.com, offers online guitar lessons from beginner to expert. If anybody is interested in free access PM me.

-Jackson