GuineaPig’s Training Log - Hunt 300 Deadlift

For pauses IIRC Sheiko said this but I’d take it with a grain of salt cos dunno if it applies to every or even most athletes or exercises outside the pause squat.

Are you doing the Sheiko program or what is the deal here? To figure out how to program pause squats you can look at Sheiko’s facebook or Instagram pages, he had something about that recently and gave examples of how he programs it. Otherwise just work up in 2’s or 3’s until it starts to feel challenging and figure it out from there, 2-5 sets. That’s basically what I would do for any new movement. Any kind of pause/long pause I would say somewhere between 2-5 reps.

For your bench you need volume more than anything. Adding muscle mass will pay off more than any weak point work at the moment, and the exercises you mention there (dips, incline, DB press) will do it. Close grip bench, flys, and some direct tricep work are good too.

I’m on the fence about ab training too, I used to do lots of ab work and it never seemed to do anything for my lifts. Some is probably beneficial, but the main thing is learning to brace properly and doing it when you lift. SSB squats for higher reps seem to hit my abs more than anything, also I have heard that chin ups activate the abs more than almost any ab exercise. Ab wheel rollouts are good if you want some direct ab work, I stopped doing them because they seemed to irritate my hip flexors but that’s just me. Right now the only ab work I do in McGill curl ups, which are both an ab exercise and bracing drill. Look them up on youtube to learn how to do them. I tried dead bugs but never found I got much out of them. Kabuki movement systems has a free one month trial and they have some useful stuff on bracing/ab work, the code is onemonthfree. I should sign up again but I have been procrastinating.

1 Like

If you’re using a Sheiko program then look at the Sheiko forum, they have a lot of answers to questions like yours in the Shieko context.

1 Like

Some wars have multiple fronts. Just ask Hitler.

3 Likes

Not saying you are wrong, but there are some guys who pull sumo and claim to get a lot from rack/block pulls like Dan Green. He also doesn’t do or recommend sumo deficit pulls because they can mess up your start position. I’m not sure that either of those help me.

This one. Sheiko 3 Day Under 80kg

So abs is like a try it and see kind of deal? I guess some lifters do it so it might be worth a try.

If you start a training program next week by Sheiko, it’s not wise to train hard.

Technique of the sumo deadlift of your latest video looks definitely better than it did last time. I praise you.

Modifications in the form of addition of additional exercises are not prohibited. It’s arbitrary. But you can’t feel a lot of fatigue from added exercise.

@guineapig I know I will be criticized, but I would only train basic versions of squats, deadlift and bench press. Additional exercises train as bodybuilder… A lot of people train for example rack pull, although the weakest part of the deadlift is at the beginning of the myometric phase. In short, train only squat, deadlift, bench press (all in classic versions) and additional exercises as a bodybuilder, and when eating properly, your muscles and strength will grow like a fungus after rain.

I don’t want to “spam” the foreign training log too much.

3 Likes

Be careful not to chase two birds.
Sheiko is very specific for squat, bench and deadlift. He’s all in for lots of volume far far away from failure, it’s about motor pattern development here.
The spread sheets i’ve seen don’t talk about supplemental and developmental stuff.
Sheiko likes db fly’s a lot. It’s for a reason, which I can’t remember.
Curls, rows, chins there should be room for.
Rehab for shoulders too.
Abs ab wheel and hanging leg raises are good.
Shoulder raises would be good.
I think if your throw in OHP you might crash and burn, dunno.
But @Pinkylifting is the one running it currently, so you should listen to him.

1 Like

As far as keeping in OHP there are some obvious places to sub it in. There are occasionally planned exercises like dumbbell shoulder press and incline bench press, that would seem the best places to put in OHP work. Keep the reps and intensity the same as planned.

1 Like

Go ahead and do some ab work, but don’t get carried away with it. The amount of ab work in the program should be fine. I would avoid anything that involves spinal flexion like situps or crunches because you want to learn to brace rather than round your back and those exercises also have potential negative side effects. Here’s another one - plank but rather than holding it for time try to brace as hard as possible and reach forward with one arm at a time. Holding planks for minutes at a time is of questionable value since it only take seconds to execute a lift.

1 Like

In the Sheiko programs that I have seen there is “incline shoulder press” which is a high incline press not far off from an OHP. Seems like the difference in training effect would be negligible.

1 Like

He does do DL pause at knees and above knees you could do that too.
There are deficit DL followed by bench and then rack pull or Pulls from blocks as he says.
I guess you could do sumo from blocks very small guineapig sized blocks.
I would also only do squats, you could practice slowing down and pausing. But don’t do box squats and other stuff like chains and bands, that’s for another time.

1 Like

Yeah lol. It’s easy work very relaxed and little volume compared to what I usually got up to.

Thanks. Still working on the looking forward/up because it really isn’t what I do naturally.

I still think I can get my back just a bit straighter. It’s like very close to neutral but just a little bit rounded and like slightly inefficient that way. It’s a little thing but it annoys me

Lol maybe but I’ll be thinking about what you say at least. It’s just the programs already have supplemental exercises as part of them so Im thinking that was Sheiko’s intention.

I could sub out variations for the comp lift (for bench I think it could be a good idea) but if there’s any benefit to having variations I want to use them like pause deadlift seems to be very helpful for improving my technique in the main deadlift (I have only been doing it for a short time but it has helped)

I understand this is important too. Most of what I thinking about is like substituting and a little bit of additional work. The program already takes into account of the number of supplementary lifts but I guess it’s easy to take it too far and affect recovery

exactly my thought, there are a few places where you could substitute OHP for a pretty significant training stimulus overlap rather than ‘adding’ it or frankensteining a well written program.

2 Likes

I dunno about other deadlift variations to be honest cos I have never done them and I’m not really in a rush cos the pause deadlift seems good. Maybe later

Yeah no chains or bands or nothing just a barbell pls lol

1 Like

Yeah guys. Less is more sometimes. If you reckon some of the additional stuff or something else should just be dropped I’d like to get your advice too

Curls are not going anywhere now. Bigger arms bigger bench true?

1 Like

I don’t know if we understand correctly, but for example the deadlift from boxes, as Sheiko writes, train. But you probably know that. I wrote it on a general scale…

1 Like

@gaelic about the deadlift technique the video I posted today was about 100kg heavier than the previous video so I’m happy the form stayed similar at the higher intensity.

I think that 10 kg heavier my form will break down a bit and I will return to old ways of pulling with rounder back and looking down.

Is this how things usually are or is there something I can do to prevent form breakdown at near max weights?

If I train with relatively lower intensity with Sheiko will this problem still be there next time I do high intensities?

Or: greater muscles (better hypertrophy) = greater weight on the bench press

2 Likes

I was making like a joke but it’s true lol. Everything could be bigger but I think chest is lagging for me