GuineaPig’s Training Log - Hunt 300 Deadlift

Nice vid. Am stealing for my Yury Belkin fan thread k thnx

Finders fee is enough for a set of SBD sleeves

You should do some paused reps for sure since you have to pause in competition, but I have heard from many sources that not doing some touch & go work will diminish the effect of the stretch reflex. If you suck at pausing then you can also use long pauses as an exercise variation (like 2-3 seconds usually, too long and you have to go too light).

About head/neck position, it’s largely individual and as long as you aren’t looking down then I don’t believe its an issue. This is from Sheiko’s article on deadlift mistakes: “The head should always be raised. Select a point on a wall that you may comfortably fixate on with proper head position. Fixating your gaze will aid retaining your head in the correct position.” Nowhere does he say to look upwards, but if that works better for you then do it.

2 Likes

Does touch and go close grip count or is it better to touch and go comp grip? They are pretty close anyway because my comp grip is close ish

DL head positioning wise I think looking straight up isn’t gonna go so well for me but for sure I need to maybe be halfway up there

Close grip t&g should be fine, but comp grip won’t hurt either. If your bench is moving up slowly then you could try doing a rest pause set or two after your main benching, you could do that t&g too. Just start with something you can get about 8 reps with (on the first set) and add 5lbs each week.

1 Like

So it’s more sets after main bench but touch and go? Does a few extra sets impact recovery much?

I’m not saying to increase volume if you are already at or close to your limit, more sets definitely can affect recovery and rest pause sets in particular. Maybe cut one or two sets and replace it with a rest pause set. One rest pause set is basically three sets. Looking at your log, you aren’t really doing a lot of benching, but you are doing all three lifts in each workout plus some assistance work so you are limited in how much you can actually do effectively and long, brutal workouts can be hard to recover from. In most cases you should be able to do approximately an equal amount of volume on bench/pressing movements as you do for squat/deadlift combined, although that’s just a starting point.

In your case, you haven’t been lifting for very long and you don’t have a lot of upper body mass, bench press seems to be the lift that benefits the most from more muscle mass (deadlift seems to benefit the least). So doing some hypertrophy work will definitely pay off, if you can do more volume then do more volume. I got to a 300 bench by doing mostly high rep training, once in a while I would spend a couple weeks working up to heavy doubles, triples, or singles but even then most of what I did was high reps, like 5-12. Dumbbell bench is good too, not sure if you do those but it can help for sure.

1 Like

I haven’t gotten a chance to read the article yet. I’m assuming this goes for all deadlifts, not just sumo?

Re: pauses, you can always just pause the first rep. Or just start by just pausing the warm ups.

I like TnG way more then paused for comp and prefer paused for CG. If I wasn’t training for a meet I wouldn’t pause my comp bench at all lol

1 Like

Yes. Somebody came up with this idea that if your neck is extended beyond neutral on the squat or deadlift then you will end up paralyzed or some bullshit, but it obviously isn’t true.

When roast chicken is half price so you buy for the whole week

1 Like

I get one of those chickens almost every time I go grocery shopping… Convenient and taste fantastic!!

1 Like

At this rate my diet is going to be 90% chicken lol

I got 2 and a quarter chickens for 10 Australian dollars so like 8 US dollars.

2 Likes

That is a good deal :smiley: I love good deals! I got chicken today too and might use it in salads… I’m like you and eat it so much sometimes I have got to mix it up lol. I get farm fresh meats and eggs but chicken is one thing I have to buy while at the store.

1 Like

Yeah cos they do the chicken in store everyday so by the time I show up at night after the gym they price the chickens down to clear and I sweep them up.

Since it’s whole chickens it comes with breast which is my least favourite part but recently I started shredding it up and soaking it in salsa and it goes down easy. Might try pasta sauce too or barbecue

4 Likes

5/3/18

Meh workout at FeelGood Fitness with the boys.

Squat
120kg x 3,3,3,3,3,3
Pause Squat
100kg x 3,4,4,4

2nd squat session back and the bar is feeling heavy still.

Bench
90kg x 4,4,4,4,4,4,3
TnG Bench
60kg x 9,9,9

Set up felt like trash today so bench went along those lines. Still got in the work but was not much fun.

Sumo DL
180kg x 4,4
Pause Sumo
140kg x 3,3,3

Getting OCD about starting position and tried some pause deadlifts. Was pausing too short so my mate gave me a two count. I think longer pause is better? Nice to hang out down there during warm ups too.

Romanian Deadlifts
50kg x 10,10,10

Rehab action but awkwardly didn’t feel it much in my hamstring.

Press
50kg x 10 Rep PR

Enough time for one PR set at 50kg.

1 Like

Those squats in the background tho. Zeroooooooooo

3 Likes

Your set up on squat looks really ‘soft’. Could just be thats how high bar looks, but doesnt look like you are engaging your upper back or lats nor pulling your elbows under the bar.

1 Like

I will ask him how to squat higher

I dunno maybe lol