GuineaPig’s Training Log - Hunt 300 Deadlift

19/9/18

Bench 12 Reps Total at 100kg
Squat 9 Reps Total at 140kg
Cable Row 8 Sets

Chill seshes continue with bench and squat today. Pec still a little tweak but feeling strong.

Squat still inconsistent.

My mate pointed out lack of back tightness from a sideview I don’t usually see.

Also it makes me consider bar positions. I thought this “hybrid” bar position had me squatting pretty upright but doesn’t look like it on camera. Get pitched forward a bit out of the hole too.

Might try a lower bar position too

YearoftheHAMSTER it is.
Squats looks way to easy for you man.
I am not very good my self, so take it for what it is: your squats looks very good, I would be happy with a squat style like that.

2 Likes

20/9/18

Upper body pump up today. Can do incline and overhead pressing tweak irritation free so that’s an option also in the mean time. Got a massive pump which made everything feel stiff and hard to move around

Incline DB Press 4 Sets
Overhead Press 4 Sets
Chest Supported Row 4 Sets
Rear Delts 4 Sets
Side Delts 4 Sets
Barbell Curls 4 Sets

1 Like

Maybe I’m being too hard on myself or perfectionist but I really think it’s important to at least be consistent because some reps look and feel off

2 Likes

21/9/18

Down to Melbourne for a trip with the girlfriend and stayed over at her brother’s place. Happened to be half a km from a gym I haven’t yet had the pleasure to visit: Doherty’s Campbellfield.

Smaller than I expected but a pretty cool place. Only decent bars were a power bar from a local Australian brand and a rogue bar (don’t know what kind) which someone had locked up).

Awesome As comp bench was a surprise given the size of the gym and overall fanciness of equipment. Best part was some metal pound plates which I’ve not used before. Looks and sounds real cool. Didn’t bother with the maths because the difference is minimal vs 20kg plates.

Now onto the actual lifts. Didn’t do anything much today just trying to keep technique fresh as I end the deload week.

Bench: Pec still tweaky but able to move weight well. Hope it resolves with a bit of time so I don’t lose momentum on my bench gains. If it doesn’t I dunno what to do. Maybe some incline DBs and Overhead Press in the meantime

Deadlift: Conventionals actually moving well only the second workout back in. Only cue I’m using is to start the bar a bit farther away and bend knees more to reach it at the start. Right now definitely feels better than sumo (maybe because light weight I don’t know). Sumo still feeling awkward and weak. Maybe Conventional will make a return who knows

Squat Felt pretty bad maybe because of the unstable squat stands but moved alright on camera. Still dunno where I should put the bar on my back.

1 Like

Might hit up a final deload sesh in the city Doherty’s. Loving the gym tour so far

1 Like

I used to work up the road from dohertys in Campbellfield. Always wondered if it was worth a visit but never got it there. Sounds like the Brunswick and city ones are better.

2 Likes

Yeah but like those at good and Brunswick is like the best so no commercial gym really compares

1 Like

Update on Pec Injury (I think? Might shoulder or front delt or something).

Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to be a leave it for a week and it’ll resolve and be 100% thing so at least another week of going easy. Then ease back in

Very frustrating given my recent progress and momentum on the bench.

Keeping a positive mindset though: it’s part of the game and I guess it could be worse because I can still move heavy weight well

In the mean time will do the best I can with incline DBs and Overhead Press to maintain as many gains as possible. And like focus on the other lifts which aren’t affected at all.

1 Like

24/9/18
Quick sesh in at Doherty’s City Gym before leaving Melbourne.

Cool gym atmosphere and equipment.

It’s in like old storage tunnels that run under the railway and you can hear trains rumbling by above. The gym itself is still as last time I was here except they got their hands on a deadlift bar. Members aren’t the bestest because all sorts from the city train here.

Conventional Deadlift 6 Sets @ 130kg

6 Sets of 6-8 at 130kg on convy feeling alright but moving well on camera. Used 200kg as an estimated 1RM so it’s about 65%. Now to just build over the next few weeks.

Right before I left I had to throw in a few reps on the DL bar for fun and this one is fresh and new or something because it had like real harsh knurling and was ripping up my thumbs. Also tearing up my pants a bit. Looks all stylish and shit but not gonna last long like this. Weight moved well though.

Incline DB Press 4 Sets @ 35kg
Overhead Press 3 Sets @ 40-60kg

Did some comp bench with just the bar which was pain free then moved onto some incline DBs. Also pain and irritation free. Frustrating but I’m still motivated. RoadTo3PlateBench is on hold for now but YearOfThePig is on track

Good Morning 3 Sets @ 30kg
Cable Rows 5 Sets
Back Raises 3 Sets @ BW

Lot of low RPE stuff here. Just getting some work in and a pump. Would appreciate some ideas as to how to implement these exercises like loading weight and rep range strategies and stuff. Felt the burn in my hammies and glutes so that’s good. Gonna dedicate myself to posterior chain work because I’ve skipped pretty much all hamstring work since I started lifting save deadlifts.

Skipped shrugs and ham curl machine because it was broken and because my gf was waiting for me. Might do some bent over rows too. Good sesh overall would’ve like to have more sessions at this gym

2 Likes

Zoomed into the picture of the bars and saw it was actually a Rogue Ohio Deadlift Bar. Thought it was a Texas one which is only deadlift bar I’ve used (even if the total sample size is like a dozen times). Prefer the Texas deadlift bar

Playing with these bars makes me wanna have one at the gym I go to in bendigo at least a decent power bar.

1 Like

25/9/18

One extra day in Melbourne visited the Aquarium and ate out with the gf first then another sesh in at Doherty’s City Gym. Truly I love the fancy bars.

Aquarium was cool since I haven’t been there in a decade it was all new. Spied a Ray getting in some protein.

Didn’t do too much in the gym today with a light squat day and bench rehab thrown in. Some squats and two dozen reps with the bar on bench which felt pain and irritation free.

Squats 5x3 = 15 Reps Total at 140kg
Hack Squat Machine 3 Sets
Leg Press 3 Sets
Bench Reps with the bar

Tried out the hack squat which felt weird like it was sticky on the sliding rails at the bottom. Leg pressed a bit but was getting sore in the arches of my feet so finished there. Honestly neither of these movements felt like the quad builders I’m looking for and squat still feeling meh at best.

2 Likes

Walking lunges for the quad building win…

Might have to give them a try or some split squats step ups or something. I thought leg press was old faithful but feels like shit. Maybe the dreaded quad extension for some knee snap gains

1 Like

bulgarian split squats are a mean quad builder.

2 Likes

26/9/18

Upper body pump day still nursing the pec injury. Gotta get massive AF.

Bench Press Reps with the bar
Incline DB Bench 5x12 Sets @ 35kg
Cable Rows 5 Sets
Overhead Press 3 Sets
Lateral Raises 4 Sets
Curls 4 Sets

1 Like

Try SSB Lunges… tried them yesterday and my legs are f***** tofay

1 Like

Sounds like a way to get featured on gym fails lol. What’s the advantage vs regular bar or front squat hold instead?

Idk lol. I’ve done back position, front hold, dumbells at side, Goblet position and all weren’t as good as ssb lunges. Must be how it pitches you forward and you have to stay upright so hammers legs or something

Thanks for the input man.

I’ve always bitched out of single leg work and lunges for some reason but I’ll give some variations a go.