GuineaPig’s Training Log - Hunt 300 Deadlift

Forgot to mention this for squats but I guess 200kg will be the next thing on the menu. Will probably take a while to get there but I think I know how to go about it just need to put in the time and effort.

It still seems kinda crazy that I could even consider squatting that kind of weight like unbelievable. It just sounds so heavy. Mentally I still get apprehensive at 140kg / 3 plates right now.

1 Like

mrw-the-imdb-parents-guide-for-fifty-shades-of-grey-says-should-be-fine-for-teenagers--158624

3 Likes

And now on to deadlift. Unfortunately it’s not a save the best for last kinda deal because DL went terribly lol. Last lift of the day so poor performance left me kinda salty

After squats and bench I moved on to DL. 215kg last warm up and then jumped to 230kg which would’ve been a 10kg PR.

Didn’t even break the floor.

Interesting experience though because I held on for what felt like 5 seconds but when it didn’t budge I gave up. Got a bit light headed too which was good fun.

On the day I could probably come up with a dozen factors/reasons/excuses but in the end I wasn’t strong enough.

On the day I was more worried about rounding and losing back position off the floor or hook grip not feeling secure and neither of those ended up being a big issue. Back actually held alright on the 230kg vs rounding out like right off the floor like crazy.

Hook grip was feeling very secure and most strong in weeks like I could hold onto 6-7 plates with it. I was playing with using a box cutter to rough up my nail and it might of helped a bit.

I honestly thought I would get 230kg this week (I’d even say I was confident) considering how close I was last time I maxed out though I was a bit heavier. Both squat and bench went up in similar conditions so I don’t think it’s the weight difference.

The way 230 moved before compared to now it feels like a two steps backward even worse than stalling

Not exactly sure why I was so confident on DL going in now that I look back at training compared to bench/squat.

For bench and squat during the training program I set or the weight was moving like I would’ve been able to set lifetime rep PRs if I went full out.

For sumo deadlift I wasn’t even close at any time nor was there any indication that there could be a rep PR if I went for it (not even talking about setting any) in training. I think the most done in training was like 190 for 2 or 3 where my rep PR is about 8-9 reps.

I dunno that’s just how it is. I’ll grow out of it sooner or later. Probably start by making bigger jumps in my warm ups up to around 140

It’s all g. Just a temporary setback. Learn and move on to bigger and better biceps and stuff.

This was discussed in another topic and this log a while ago.

I’m not gonna say I told you so (because I don’t think I actually ever did explicitly) but what I added to the discussion was something along the lines of one needs overload to make gains. In some way or form there must be an overloading stimulus over time.

Should’ve gone with your gut on this one I’m afraid. It’s not like you’ve wasted time/effort because you’ve learnt from the experience but if that’s not enough for you it’s time to go get your money back probably whichever peeps convinced you that overload wasn’t important (so not me).

1 Like

Bad News: you didn’t get the deadlift you wanted.

Good News: your sumo is much improved.

Look at Oct/Nov attempt. You couldn’t get it, then your knees came in and your back rounded, and it broke off the floor. But you were never going to complete the lift in that position.

In your latest attempt, you kept your knees out and your back straight. It didn’t move, but your technique didn’t break apart.

I know it sucks to miss, but at least you improved. It’s not a setback. The sub max and pause work did what they were supposed to do. Now, you get to move forward from Here.

2 Likes

You did perform solid on the other 2.
Btw, cool shirt

1 Like

I’ve haven’t looked at things that way I guess. Like you say there’s positives to take away but honestly it’s not good enough and I can’t really be satisfied with not getting stronger.

Where should we go from here? I don’t have a new 1 rep max to pop back into the spreadsheet for the program.

Makes more sense now. I think there was a JTS video on overload and like a whole bunch of other principles. I might give them another watch.

It is what it is I guess. I’m just more motivated to get after it now and on all my other lifts too. Hopefully our lift you by somemargin on all three lol

I like the shirt cos of the Thicc Thighs thing. Chuck is some money and I’ll get one sent over to you from AUS lol. Also kinda related I did end up buying a A7 bar grip shirt when the Oceania store was having a 20% off sale. Gave it to my mate for his birthday pretty quick though like a week later because it wasn’t anything too crazy tbh

As for where to go from here… probably best to slow down first and reflect on these past few weeks/months of deadlift training and how/why is has gone well/not. flats makes the point that perhaps there has been technical improvements. Strength gains not so much or at least not as significant as we’d like from a few months of training and at your level. It seems your recent training has supported technique improvement/maintenance but not done much for you in the way of strength. Might be a number of factors but I’m still thinking the overloading stimulus wasn’t really there/enough this time around.

1 Like

I have to agree with khangles, slow down and think about what’s up. Missing lifts always feels like the end of the world, but in reality Nothing is Over.

Evaluate where you are and decide how to go forward. You said Boris was kind of chill and your friend’s setup was more balls to the wall. But at the end of the day, The 2 Plans Produced almost exactly the Same Lift. So it stands to reason that Boris was a little too chill and your friend was a little too hardcore, and the ideal workload is somewhere right between the two. That is very useful and relevant information to have for planning what to do next.

Then, if you want to Overload, decide what to load up on. You could use the Train the lift style, where you Deadlift to get a bigger deadlift. Overload the lift. If you go this route, your improved technique will definetly help you get better results. Every rep will be “better” than if your technique was worse than it is now.

Or you could Build the lift, Overloading deadlift assistance work stuff. If you go this way, think of what work you’ve been doing, and what it did to your lift. Like you did pause deads, and they improved your position/technique. But did they make you a little slow off the floor? If so, will overloading some defecit deads and abs address the issue?

1 Like

@khangles and @FlatsFarmer thanks for the guidance. Between the training log and the info in the Sheiko spreadsheet there should be plenty of info on how much work I’ve done. Will get some help and have a look at it

1 Like

Along with everything we’ve mentioned so far I think it’s about time I finally figure out how to use a belt for deadlift. Not sure how Belkin gets away with it maybe having a really upright torso but I’m not that.

I think the trick for me will be setting my upper back tightness at the same time as bracing my midsection if you get what I mean.

A few sets with a belt and for once it felt alright which isn’t saying much considering that before I think the belt took away from my pull.

Will take a while to put everything together technique wise but hopefully there’ll be some gains to get

4 Likes

Umm awkward injury update.

Seems I’ve aggravated something in my upper thigh slightly towards the inside. Not up at so high that’s it the actual hip though. Not exactly sure what or how it happened actually lol.

Thought it was the adductors at first because the pain was slightly inside the thigh but adduction doesn’t hurt. Hip flexion so like bringing my knee up to my tummy produces a sharp pain. Other movements not so much so I’m thinking it’s something with the hip flexor muscles.

I’m not sure how this happened but after some body weight movement I think the exercise most affected will be bench honestly because the position and leg drive will flare up things.

:frowning_with_open_mouth::frowning_with_open_mouth::frowning_with_open_mouth::frowning_with_open_mouth:

1 Like

sucks dude. do you think its due to the maxing out? Or just bad luck

1 Like

Honestly don’t know. I think it happened Monday night but I can’t pin point an exact moment. Shouldn’t affect training that much though.

1 Like

Be very careful though Hamster. If the injury is in some deep hip flexor muscles they can be quite bad for a long time.

But it seem as it is not, when it’s lower on the inside of the thigh, If it’s up anywhere near the crotch pay attention, I tore/injured the Psoas muscles that ended up bugging me for a long time.
Thought it was some abductor adductor muscle or what they are called. Went to the PT a last, who could help med.
Hope you’ll heal quick though.

2 Likes

I think it’s a false injury alarm guys. Pain on hip flexion against gravity is down from 8/10 to like 4/10. Only lift affected is bench where a get a bit of annoying twinge when I lay back to bench and on doing stairs.

For my program going forward I’ve gone back to coachbrah for guidance. From all my feedback my mate has pretty much copy and pasted from the Sheiko Under 80kg spreadsheet so like number of lifts and volume and periodisation and stuff. Except for deadlift which has more volume spread over twice a week.

Chill sesh today with a bunch of mates who were deadlifting. 160kg x 15 @ RPE ez could’ve done 15 more if I had the cardio powers lol so maybe too light for the program coming up even though it’s 70%?

1 Like