GuineaPig’s Training Log - Hunt 300 Deadlift

I don’t want to rewrite your whole program, but if I was you I would do something like last warmup in wraps (which will be at a heavier weight than your 11x2) then two triples with the same weight in wraps. After than do your doubles, but realistically you will have to cut it down quite a bit since the sets in wraps will be harder and cause more fatigue. So you would probably be down to 6 doubles or something like that.

For work sets in wraps I would aim for about RPE7-8 and just add 5-15lbs each week.

Not long ago I started doing more work in wraps for a brief moment, before that I never really did more than 2 work sets in wraps but I started doing (on top of last couple warmups) a heavy set of 1-3 and a lighter 3x3. I made progress, but I had to cut volume a lot compared to what I was doing previously because the increased weight combined with the added stress of wrapping and fighting to get the wraps off after each set was getting to me. On top of that, the skin around my knee felt like it had been set on fire by the last set or two and it made it hard to focus on technique.

The moral of the story: get more out of less. Some people do all their volume work in wraps and I really don’t see why, it will make your workout take way longer and cause more fatigue.

By the way, keep an eye out for Inzer Double Gripper wraps, I get the impression that they will work well for you. They aren’t selling them yet but some guys who are sponsored by Inzer are using them and apparently they are real good. They are extra thick Grippers, they will be something like what you have now but a lot stronger.

1 Like

Have you tried contacting Garret Blevins to ask about changing the program to include wraps? I would definitely do that, but if he doesn’t have a good option then I can help you out.

This program is full body? How many days per week? How many times do you squat per week?

1 Like

I’ve been trying to get access to the Facebook group where all the questions is asked. I could shoot him an email.

Since it’s the “AI” program that is actually making it all up (currently in beta /final testing + development) and I haven’t paid for full coaching services i doubt I can do more than suggest he adds an option specifically for wraps. Maybe lucky to get some practical suggestions

Tbh I was hoping to get stronger without wraps for the bulk of training while at the same getting used to and then good with them then using them meet day for a boost.

I much appreciate the offer to get some programming from you but it’s a bit much to ask for free. And I’m hesitant to chop up and change my current program.

So I’ll get back to you after talking to Blevins but if you are curious about the program it’s 4 days a week bench or variation every training day so full body enough and squatting or variation (pauses) thrice a week.

I did a bit of a write up not to many posts above but some features are workload changes on the fly as you rate how fatigued you are for each lift e.g. my bench is feeling fresh as fuck today so I rate it at a 1/10 fatigue and I get 6x5 @ 75% if I rated it 5/10 I might get 4x5 @ 70 or something. Every 4 weeks the data is sent back to the AI and it could for example see my bench is all 1/10s so it’s too easy and it generates the next 4 week block with harder benching.

Now writing this I can see that a way wrapped training could be implemented if I hit a few reps of wrapped work I can then put in how fatigued I am post wrapped Sets to auto regulate the without wrap volume for the sesh. But right now the system isn’t quite built for that right now I think so it’d just be messing around with the program

Thnx again for all your help. I’m gonna leave it here for tonight and follow up with everything tomoz

2 Likes

Nothing against Blevins, but you might be better off with Chad Wesley Smith’s AI coaching since he actually competes in wraps.

Unless your training is retarded or you do everything in wraps then your raw squat should still increase. Also whatever you can squat in sleeves will feel light after you get used to heavy squats in wraps. If you do only your heavy top sets in wraps (anything under 80% or so seems worthless since you have to wrap lighter and the technique isn’t the same) and the rest of your volume in sleeves then as long as you keep increasing the intensity on your volume work you will get stronger.

1 Like

If it’s 80% of without wraps max there’s not much of that in the program as written so far.

Tried a bit of ice skating today. In the short time I was on the ice it fucked up my knees, ankles and feet. Suffice to say I’ll be sticking to squat shoes and lifting lol

4 Likes

Dunno where exactly but I got this idea from on the forum here. Last meal of the day: Tuna, seaweed and rice and sushi sauce with strawberry milk

2 Likes

I mean 80% of max in wraps, you don’t have a max to go off of so like I said, triples at RPE7-8.

1 Like

Alrighty.

I got access to the FB Coaching group now so we’ll see what response we get from Blevins and the community there

1 Like

OK, let me know what they say.

1 Like

Oh hello there. $50 off a pioneer belt you say?

1 Like

Deconstructed sushi roll with pink cow juice

1 Like

18/11/18

Warm day today for a workout powered by Dare Ice Coffee Triple Expresso. Not to into caffeine tbh so this might not go well.

Bumped into an ex WRPF lifter and chatted a bunch. Picked up a lot of info from competing non-IPF feds and equipment, attempt selection strategy and deadlift technique and more.

Also got a fucking inspiring speech from this Iranian/Russian guy (Reminds me of zahir khudayarov) about winning mentality, intensity and being a sick kunt. Sounds shifty but pretty inspirational stuff when backed up by working in with me on deadlifts and bent over rowing that shit lol.

Working my mouth muscles did take up a lot of time but it’s this kind of environment/community where I can draw on the knowledge, experience and energy that makes me glad I signed up at this gym.

FacePull 3 Sets
Comp Bench 3x8 @ 75kg
1” Spoto Press 4x5 @ 75kg

First time with this accessory movement. Spotos feeling hard but good. Trying to control the bar a cm off the chest really is challenging. It rocks back and forth so I really gotta fight it. Future gains for sure.

Pause Deadlift 3x5 @ 145kg
Sumo Deadlift Single @ 205kg
Barbell Row 4x15
Pull Ups 3 Sets

First time pause deadlifting on a DL bar. Will be important to learn the positions and the extra slack in the deadlift bar I think. Didn’t really go to hard on pause deadlifts in the past but these are pretty much where the exercise peaked on Sheiko not to long ago. Looking forward to building strength in these too.

Single @ 205 was a bit sloppy. Tried out different starting positions with how close the bar is to me shins. Too close I think on this one so the bar gets knocked forward at the start. Will work on pulling the slack out and really getting force into the bar too.

Ez sesh with too much rest talking lol but I come out of it feeling fresh and hungry as fuck for more gains to defeat my gym nemesis.

New belt on the way too. Let’s get it

YearOfThePig

1 Like

Are you are chef by any chance?

1 Like

So far got the suggestion (not from Blevins himself) to so wrapped work for my heavier squat day possibly bumping the numbers up. Waiting for any more suggestions

I’m 3-4 months out from comp if it matters any. Still need to update that info on the program.

Here’s some pics of the program (W1 is done). Like I said before the workload might change a bit depending on the fatigue number I put in.

Hey Hamster
Those pause sumo’s looks good man.
As you said the Spoto were a bit wobbly. That makes me a bit curious because when you do your normal bench, your setup looks spot on and your brace and tightness is good.
But not here, I mean your setup still looks good and stable just as your normal bench. Could it be the weight were too light?

That program looks solid man, lots of low reps just as you like it.

1 Like

Spotos apparently target lowering the bar in the last
Part of the range of motion like before you touch your chest.

Me and a lot of people lose a bit of tightness and dump the bar a bit or sink. I miss or slow a lot right off the chest on the way back off so if I get good at these I think I’ll be better right off the chest.

Loading % so far seems a bit light compared to what I’ve been doing recently. Will have to trust the process though and keep inputting 1s in the fatigue rating

2 Likes

Gym nemesis has thrown down the gauntlet. SBD 220, 145, 250kg Total 615kg.

IMO a bit ambitious but it’ll come down to how well he gets back to peak past strength levels and beyond vs how many gains I make until the meet and every little advantage I can give myself

Full match up and analysis thread to come so the whole forum can help me defeat him.

1 Like

You can do it, smash him!
The 205 went up easily, what’s your max pull lately?
A year to reach the goals, bit by bit.

And stuff the Dare iced coffee,do you get Farmers Union Iced Coffee in you part of Oz? It’s the best, hands down!

2 Likes

Hard to say given all the confounding variables.

If I had maxed today maybe 230 or a bit more depending on how well I can maintain back position off the floor. I tend to rush things and round my back as I come off the floor so by the time I get to knees the bars either out in front of me or I can’t unround my back to lock out so I miss mid range but it’s off the floor where I make the fatal mistake. If positioning is maintained a lot of strength is there.

EDIT nostalgia trip lol
Here’s some fail vids and heaviest pulls. Lots of different conditions e.g. bodyweight, straps, deadlift bar, stiff bar, cheap bar that flexes so somewhere in between and bumper plates. I think these are in chronological order

1 Like