Guillotine Choke

ok, so my friend who outweighs me by 106 lbs decides he wants to grapple with me, i don’t feel like it (we were at a bbq at a park) but he drags me to a sandpit and jumps me… he tapped 3 seconds later from a guillotine i slapped on him…

anyways…

this upsets him, so while i’m facing the other way, bent over wiping sand out of my eyes and hair he sneaks up and slaps his own guillotine on me, lifts me in the air a couple feet off the ground… while i’m in the guillotine so my entire bodyweight is focused on my throat against the blade of his forearm…

i was up there for who knows how long, my neck cracking with some seriously sick popping sounds, then he takes me down and chokes me some more and i eventually tap.

our friend that was watching said it was one of the scariest things he’s ever seen.

now here’s the thing, moments later i started developing pain swallowing. i have mild pain swallowing every time, and every once in a while, especially if i talk for a bit, it feels like i’m swallowing a golf ball, and it doesn’t feel good. it downright hurts.

it’s been one full week now and it hasn’t gotten better, it only feels better when i don’t talk AT ALL for a few hours.

now my whole medical insurance thing is screwed up and i’m broke, so i can’t go to a doctor right now.

excuse my long windedness, but basically this is the first time i’ve had this happening from grappling and wanted to know if anyone else has experienced it, and is it normal for it to be still painful to swallow after a week… how long could it take to get better, etc.

thanks everyone, i really appreciate it.

screw your medical insurance issues

GO AND SEE A DOCTOR

sell something if you have to

Make your idiot friend pay for the doctor. Or at least have him pay half. That would be fair.

GO TO THE DOCTOR NOW!

maybe I wasn’t clear enough

NOW !

Here is what I would suggest.

Go to a doctor.

Present the bill to your friend - former friend?, you probably don’t need someone like this around.

[quote]lawsonsamuels wrote:
GO TO THE DOCTOR NOW!

NOW ![/quote]

dude, it’s saturday night… not that i have any plans :frowning:

seriously, thanks all you guys for the advice and giving a crap.

curious, there are a lot of grapplers/mma guys on this site, am i the only one to have lingering pain from a choke?

That sucks, your friend sounds like an asshole. I’ll second the previous advice to go to the doc, especially if its been hurting for over a week.

[quote]ProjectX wrote:
lawsonsamuels wrote:
GO TO THE DOCTOR NOW!

NOW !

curious, there are a lot of grapplers/mma guys on this site, am i the only one to have lingering pain from a choke?[/quote]

I’ve had this happen a couple times before after a serious choke, both times applied with a gi by an overzealous opponent(its always the guys that are going agro that frickin hurt you in training,) I don’t know the exact dynamics of it, but I’m guessing it was minor bruising…both times it was gone around 3-4 days later.

[quote]ProjectX wrote:
lawsonsamuels wrote:
GO TO THE DOCTOR NOW!

NOW !

curious, there are a lot of grapplers/mma guys on this site, am i the only one to have lingering pain from a choke?[/quote]

We’re kinder, gentler, conserned bastards.

I’ve been choked out training in judo, had neck pain from it getting wrenched, muscle strain type injury. What you’re describing sounds more like you have damge to your esophagus or larynx, which can be very serious. Had a friend in college got punched in the throat in a fight, had similar symptoms as yours. I cannot remember what exactly the injury was in his case, I do recall it was serious.

same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago, i still feel it

Hi ProjectX,

I’d also suggest going to see a doctor if the pain doesn’t diminish.

I’ve had similar symptoms (although less long lasting) as the result of being “bar choked”. Basically a bar choke is a choke where the force is applied directly to the trachea (wind pipe) rather than to the karotid arteries (also called a “blood choke”).

Generally a guillotine is a form of blood choke, but it sounds like your friend applied it in more of a bar choke manner. Bar chokes can be fatal (well technically both can be fatal, but bar chokes are much more dangerous) and therefore not encouraged while grappling.

Hope everything works out ok.

Good training and good luck,

Sentoguy

Yes, I have been seriously choked, as well as being struck in the throat, during MA training. Neither is entirely pleasant. My neck and throat were sore throat that night, but gone the next morning.

I would really recommend going to a doctor.

Like one of the other guys mentioned, make your dickhead mate pay for it.

Your friend’s a dick.

I had my neck cranked and it hurt so bad I couldn’t sleep; next day I went to a chiro and pop-pop-pop 2 minutes later I was fine.

I didn’t have the throat problems tho so a chiro may not be sufficient treatment.

[quote]scrooge wrote:
Yes, I have been seriously choked, as well as being struck in the throat, during MA training. Neither is entirely pleasant. My neck and throat were sore throat that night, but gone the next morning.

I would really recommend going to a doctor.

Like one of the other guys mentioned, make your dickhead mate pay for it. [/quote]

Ive been choked plenty over a long martial arts career and never had that throat soreness last more than a day or two.

Get to a doctor.

I’ve never had it happen that bad from a choke, but I got kicked in the throat a little while back and had pretty much the same kind of pain you described. Lasted for probably 2 weeks, trouble swallowing and all that, but it gradually got better and then disappeared.

Going to the doctor is always the smart thing, but if it’s not an option or you don’t feel like it, just be aware of how it’s feeling from day to day. If it’s getting better, no matter how slowly, you’re probably fine. If not, obviously, the doctor would be your best bet.