Guild Wars & Computer Game Nerdery

Now that I finally got my new computer is replaced the pre-historic piece of hardware I was working off of before, I decided to finally pick up some games that actually will put the new system to good use. Something that would make the 24" widescreen LCD shine like it was meant to shine.

Anyhoo, so I bought the RPG game “Guild Wars” and have been playing incessantly over the weekend. The only problem is that it is a multi-player on-line RPG (MMORPG) and I spent all my time playing solo… which was fine, but the game was truly meant to be played cooperatively with others (as I realized in certain areas of the game where I got completely pimp-slapped).

Does anyone on here play this game? Hoping a few members of T-Nation might dabble in this one a bit.

Sure, I could certainly hook up with some of the random people you encounter in the game, but I dunno… I fear getting sucked in with a group of uber-nerds and banging my head against my spiffy new keyboard. The RPG world has always had a certain dorky element to it (which provide both its charm and its downfall), but I am trying to minimize that dorkier aspect.

Thanks.

Kuz

Well, I don’t think playing those games is a real nerdy thing to do. What’s nerdy is when you start to speak differently then regular people. Dress different, and become obsessed. I used to play halo and Counter Strike, but no one ever thought I did because I staid how I was and didn’t become weird, I played with some of the most obsessed players in CS, some of the pros (why someone would pay someone to play a game beats me). I still didn’t act like them.

[quote]Hill Top Man wrote:
Well, I don’t think playing those games is a real nerdy thing to do. What’s nerdy is when you start to speak differently then regular people. Dress different, and become obsessed. I used to play halo and Counter Strike, but no one ever thought I did because I staid how I was and didn’t become weird, I played with some of the most obsessed players in CS, some of the pros (why someone would pay someone to play a game beats me). I still didn’t act like them.[/quote]

I agree that just playing the game is not really the nerdy part as much as the people who begin to take it incredibly seriously. Those are the ones that scare me. I play Halo 2 on XBox Live (less so than I used to) and I was always amazed at people who are screaming and swearing at their teammates as if they were actually pinned down on the beaches of Normandy taking fire.

Overall, just looking to see if anyone else plays this game and wants to meet up. I tried to make my character look as strikingly handsome and manly as me, but I am limited by the interface of the game. Ahh well…

[quote]Kuz wrote:
Now that I finally got my new computer is replaced the pre-historic piece of hardware I was working off of before…
Kuz[/quote]

post the specs of your new machine. And also your “real life” will crumble beneath the weight of the MMORPG!

[quote]BrwnbellyYankee wrote:
Kuz wrote:
Now that I finally got my new computer is replaced the pre-historic piece of hardware I was working off of before…
Kuz

post the specs of your new machine. And also your “real life” will crumble beneath the weight of the MMORPG!
[/quote]

Yeah, that’s what I’m afraid of! lol That is why I went with Guild Wars versus Everquest (i.e. Evercrack) or World of Warcraft since those seem to involve a HUGE time commitment.

My new machine is not quite cutting edge gaming, but I am pretty happy with it:
Dell Dimension 9100
Intel Pentium Dual Core 3.0 mHz
Windows XP Media Center Edition
1 GB RAM (looking to go to 2 GB soon)
256 MB video card (ATI X600 I believe)
250 GB HD (figure I can add one later if need be)
DVD+/-RW drive (not sure of the speed off the top of my head)

Really, the pinnacle of the whole thing for me was the monitor since Dell was running a special of 50% of LCD upgrades. Sooo… I got the Dell 2405FPW 24" wide screen LCD. To get an idea of how big it is, check out the video:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_UltraSharp_2405FPW/4660-3173_7-6250576.html

A friend of mine has a 30" Apple LCD which is bigger than you can believe, but I am pretty damn elated with mine at 24". Now I am going to stop talking about size because it’s beginning to sound like an issue of compensating for lacking elsewhere…

I use it as my TV now and get nice, clear HDTV which is fantastic. Football games in HD are just beyond words (plus I can use the computer and put the game on in a picture-in-picture mod in the upper right hand corner). But playing Guild Wars in full 1920X1200 resolution is incredible.

Ahh… embracing my inner geek was a good idea.

i downloaded guild wars and the cd key a couple months ago, but since then deleted it because i was too busy, now all i play is xbox live.

Guild Wars I haven’t tried yet. But I played Star Wars Galaxies for a couple years and play Everquest 2 now quite a bit. My character right now is called Hoss, and he’s a gnome about 2 feet high.
I play on a new Dell Inspiron 9300 notebook, which cost quite a bit, but is well worth it, the LCD screens they use now are amazing.

I’m somewhat partial to World of Warcraft

[quote]Christomopher wrote:
I’m somewhat partial to World of Warcraft[/quote]

I really thought about getting WoW since I liked the other Warcraft games so much. I am really happy with Guild Wars thus far… just wish I knew some others who had it. Ahh well!

Yea…heh remember Everquest? Yea…bout o 4 years of my life wasted on that one…the money too…thank god I sold my acct! haha! $500!..thats not much compared to some stuff I’ve seen though…ANYWAYS Yea I play Guild Wars when I’m A)Have absolutely nothing else to do or B)Need to blow off steam and can’t workout…anyways yea for awhile there it was bad…but I feel better now… LOL

Everquest was one of the greatest games ever created. However, after like 8 expansions it just killed the game. Right now i have my eye on Vanguard Saga of Heroes and maybe Dark and Light.

[quote]ScrambyEggs wrote:
Everquest was one of the greatest games ever created. However, after like 8 expansions it just killed the game. Right now i have my eye on Vanguard Saga of Heroes and maybe Dark and Light.
[/quote]

I have not heard of those two before. Why are those catching your fancy in particular?

I have GW. I beat it. crushed it. could give you mad shit/power level the shit out of you.

I play off and on., Add me to friends list “Kenneth Luxberry” you will get all my characters on your buddy list.

Best mmo of all time!!!
World of warcraft

Best all around game of all time…
Quake3!!(rocketarena mod)
Get in, get your frag on, get out!

<—I’m a nerdy nerd

counterstrike

[quote]ScrambyEggs wrote:
[/quote]

Everquest? What about ultima online? That was the best RPG PVP ever created. I know this sounds like an opinion, but you would of had to play it to understand; I was so addicted to it about 6 years ago, that was all I did. My friends and I would just sit on the computer 24/7 playing. As funny as this sounds, my only friends were my online-freinds (laugh all you want). I am so glad I grew out of my “game” phase. There are so many better ways to spend time then in front of a TV or computer screen. Now, I won’t sit in front of the TV, or computer screen for more than a half hour if I don’t have to.

[quote]Kuz wrote:
ScrambyEggs wrote:

I have not heard of those two before. Why are those catching your fancy in particular?[/quote]

Your right I never played ultima online. SWG for a while and it didn?t hold my interest at all. Beta tested a few others and they just did not compare. Everquest was nuts for me. I had an unhealthy obsession with that game.

“Hey you wanna go out and party?! Lots o hottt chicks!”
Can’t man, got a guild raid…
?Your ditching us for a freaking GAME!?
You don?t understand! It?s a planar raid! The items are going to be nuts! I MIGHT GAIN A LEVEL! AHHHH!

That’s how bad it got. While I hope I won?t be that bad next time around, Vanguard is being made by the original crew who made everquest great. Those who were in before it became a cash cow and a bunch of bad expansions were released which destroyed the balance. So it is going to be everything the designers wanted in but weren’t able to do at the time with everquest. Yes I know I am making it sound like the second coming but hey, I?m looking forward to it more then any game. Eq2 sucked because it was released by the same people who made the original eq bad. It was overly simple and they just held your hand without giving you a challenge, same with world of warcraft. If you can have a max level character in less then a few weeks then what sense of accomplishment does that give? Plus instancing is lame.

Dark and light is a bit more of a hardcore game. It has perma death. So if your character is killed… guess what he aint coming back. But you get to live through your progeny. So you get to come back as your son/daughter and they have some of your skills and some other abilities but are low level. There are a bunch of little factors like this that take player decisions to a whole new level making it very challenging and requiring thought and strategy, which I like. Plus, like guild wars, it was created for pvp, which I still have mixed feelings on. I like killing the computer with friends and doing quests normally but fighting real people has its moments.

Both games are supposed to give the players a lot of control and let them have control. One example I think both have are politics. You could become like the governor of a player made town (yes players can make their own towns). The exact details are still sketchy as neither wants to release too much info cuz they do not want it stolen. They been in beta testing for a while now and will be for at least several more months. So with an actual tiered level of beta testing to get out the kinks and actually address player concerns they hope to release some of the best games available.

[quote]Brendan B wrote:
Everquest? What about ultima online? That was the best RPG PVP ever created. I know this sounds like an opinion, but you would of had to play it to understand; I was so addicted to it about 6 years ago, that was all I did. My friends and I would just sit on the computer 24/7 playing. As funny as this sounds, my only friends were my online-freinds (laugh all you want). I am so glad I grew out of my “game” phase. There are so many better ways to spend time then in front of a TV or computer screen. Now, I won’t sit in front of the TV, or computer screen for more than a half hour if I don’t have to. [/quote]

Actually if i remember correctly i think some of the Ultima people are in on Vanguard too. If ultima was the game where you could log in only to find that your city was destroyed and you were now in a smoking crater, the guy who came up with the dymanic world idea is supposed to be in this new game. I’m not sure if that was the right mmo or not.

I played Everquest for about 4 yrs. hooked as hell before my girlfriend layed down “the ultimatum” lol.

I still have some friends who play (like 7 yrs into it now). All freaking rich as hell with crazy top of the line stuff. Fun game but the time commitment is just too much. The expansions did ruin it but a few of them were cool. Like the portal books. Sitting on a boat working on safefall or sense heading for like 45 minutes just to get to another continent is not my idea of fun.

The new games sound cool. Will have to check them out.

DAoC used to be bitching. And I do mean bitching. Greatest game I have ever played. I quit many months ago after putting up with the constant shitty changes for a long time, but I hear it’s a lot better. Anyways, it’s worth trying it, if it’s half the fun that it used to be it’d be worth it.