T Nation

Guidelines For Creatine Use?

I am a poor college student.
Enough said, I decided that I want to get big but since school dining hall food is just horrendous, I can not get too much protein from it. Anyway, I have been contemplating about using creatine and finally purchased micronized creatine monohydrates. I have been using it for almost 4 weeks, but I see no result. Can I get some guidelines in using creatine.

PS. I take 5g of creatine everyday(even off-days), less than 30 minutes post workout. I also try to drink a lot of water.
Thanks, if I am doing something stupid or let me know, I will take any advices.

Your doing it right 5g a day that simple it may add a few lbs of water due to the Increased ATP stores and hydration, thats about it for thew weight gain aspect. Youll have to eat more. It and no supp can replace food, with the exception of food supps like protein powders and bars

Phill

[quote]ghdtpdna wrote:
I am a poor college student.
Enough said, I decided that I want to get big but since school dining hall food is just horrendous, I can not get too much protein from it. Anyway, I have been contemplating about using creatine and finally purchased micronized creatine monohydrates. I have been using it for almost 4 weeks, but I see no result. Can I get some guidelines in using creatine.

PS. I take 5g of creatine everyday(even off-days), less than 30 minutes post workout. I also try to drink a lot of water.
Thanks, if I am doing something stupid or let me know, I will take any advices.[/quote]

Many myself included only use creatine post-workout. For me that is only three days per week. Creatine won’t give results in the face of poor overall nutrition. You must have appropriate overall calorie consumption, plenty of protein, carbs, and healthy fats, to stimulate muscle gains. If you have these areas covered creatine will help with muscle cell energy (ATP) and cellular hydration. Read up on it in the T-Nation store for further info.

D

Were you seeing results prior to using creatine? What is your training like? What is your diet like? If you weren’t improving prior to using creatine, do not expect creatine to be the magic bullet that makes you huge.

For postworkout, I typically take my creatine in whey mixed with water. I typically eat about 8 packages of smarties (~50 grams of dextrose). On off days, I usually take it in water with my breakfast.

When i started taking creatine, i thought it would be this magic supplement that would make me huuuggee. Didn’t really work that way though. However , it did increase my pathetic lifts , and you do see a bit of an increase in size 2-3 weeks after taking it. Use the search button, as many people have written about this topic.

Since your poor, in college, and probaly don’t want to walk around campus with a big jug o water… take 5 grams post workout. I used to take it pre-workout, and it really didn’t work as well as post. Depending on your goals, you still have to eat a huge chunk of protein and calories.

Thanks for all the inputs.
I try to eat healthy and good amount.
my diet is like this.

Breakfast
cereal(whatever I feel like eating)
skim milk.
oatmeal
whole egg and some egg whites
OJ

Lunch
Burrito(somedays):black beans+rice+chicken+beef+salsa
Sub:turkey+tuna on wheat bread
milk
some kind of entree(whatever is offered that particular day)

Lunch2 (at around 3pm)
salad
milk
peanut butter sandwich

Dinner
entree(pasta or spaghetti or something)
some steamed vegetable
milk
oj or apple juice

Dinner 2
Chicken sandwich or grilled chicken
milk
salad

Sometimes, I am tempted to eat burgers and I do eat burgers. In rare occasion I eat burgers. Even though I try to eat healthy, all the entrees are fatty. it is very difficult.

I have 6 day split. I have
day1 chest
day2 bicep
day3 lower body1
day4 tricep
day5 shoulder
day6 lower body2

I work out for a little bit more than an hour at a time. Starting with the big workouts such as bench, squat, or deadlift.
Thank you