T Nation

Guidelines for a 6'/160 LB Guy

I am 6-foot tall and 160 pounds trying to gain some muscles at a gym. Could somebody please give me some guidelines on what supplements I should be taking to help me gain muscles. I have been taking 30 grams of whey protein an hour before and a half an hour after the workout. I haven’t been taking anything else mostly because I am a bit afraid of taking different stuff. Anyway, I would love to hear some advise on what I should take at minimum. And in particular if I should add some caseine to my diet (looking at Dymatize Elite Gourmet Protein right now).

Some say forget about the supplements and just stuck up on food. Should I follow this advise and not even take whey protein before and after workouts?

Eat more. Protein isn’t a supplement, take it, but don’t neglect to eat more. You can buy protein from this site and you won’t have to worry about quality.

eat moar food.

Whole milk: drink it. Lots of it.

yes yes, eat lots and lots and lots

and when you lift weights, don’t lift like a bitch

[quote]alosito wrote:
I am 6-foot tall and 160 pounds trying to gain some muscles at a gym. Could somebody please give me some guidelines on what supplements I should be taking to help me gain muscles. I have been taking 30 grams of whey protein an hour before and a half an hour after the workout. I haven’t been taking anything else mostly because I am a bit afraid of taking different stuff. Anyway, I would love to hear some advise on what I should take at minimum. And in particular if I should add some caseine to my diet (looking at Dymatize Elite Gourmet Protein right now).

Some say forget about the supplements and just stuck up on food. Should I follow this advise and not even take whey protein before and after workouts? [/quote]

The way I see it. If you can afford supplements and good quantities of food. Yeah buy some protein supplements. Casein is good for before bed. Whey protein is better for other times especially for skinny people cause it’s absorbed quickly and doesn’t keep you full real long. Thus letting you eat more food throughout the day.

Yet in the grand scheme of things. If you can barely afford supplements. You’re better off putting money into real food. Whole eggs, beef, chicken, turkey and fish. Burger once in a while won’t kill you. Carbs lots of potatoes, oatmeal, white rice and pasta if that’s your thing.

It’s consistency in sound training and eating that will show results not what supplements you take or new fad routine you follow.

Focus! Focus! Focus!

Supplements are great when your ready but right now you would be better off focusing on eating more. If your not eating enough add in some shakes, I recommend you make them calorie dense so go for a weight gainer or add oil to your shakes.

Focus in the gym on big compound lifts

Bench Press
Squats
Deadlifts
Clean and Presses

You just gotta eat. supplements wont do anything if your diet sucks. How many calories are you getting every day? How many grams of protien are you getting? Keep track for at least a little while untill you get a feel for how much you need to eat and how much you are eating. My guess is you will probably start to grow at around 4000 calories. If you start to grow great keep at it till you stop then increase the calories and change your workout routine. It’s not easy but if it were everyone would do it.

Food is your biggest worry right now. Whey is great right after you workout since it can be used quickly by your body but don’t use it as a crutch. You still need to be eating lots of eggs, steak, fish, chicken, cheese, etc… and don’t forget to get plenty of good carbs from Bananas, apples, broccoli, pasta, oatmeal… again it doesn’t realy matter just stay away from the processed garbage (cookies, sugary cereal,). I always try to eat either a fruit or a vegitable with every meal this will help make sure you get enough fiber during the day. Believe me you’ll need it with all the protien you will be eating.

Supplements I take:
Whey protien
Fish Oil (salmon oil)
Creatine
Zinc
B Complex

That’s it. dont make it more complicated than it has to be. Just eat enough food and lift weights. What is your training like? Are you doing squats, deadlifts, bench press etc…?