Guidance for a Devil Pup

Good morning T-Nation:

First off it’s been a while and feels good to be back. Took a glance at the store and Anaconda is out. Looks like some crazy shit. On to the topic at hand. I’ve just finished up my swear in and MEPs journey for the Marine Corps (bend over ;)). I’m in pretty decent shape. Did more then required pullups and situps, but I want to get into serious shape before I hit Parris Island(5’11, 200lbs).

Besides my running and body weight workouts, I’m doing four days a week of Biceps/Triceps/Chest/Back and throwing shoulders in with Chest. I’m looking for strength and endurance with a dose of explosiveness and from what I understand that is not the easiest task to obtain. My workout routine looks like this.

Biceps - Dumbell Curls, Row Machine Curls, Hammer Curls(w. Dumbells) Supersets and 21’s
Chest - Flat, Incline and Decline Benching; Shoulder Presses and Flies
Triceps - Dips, Push down superset, overhead tricep extensions and then Machine assisted dips
Back - Wide grip pullups, rows, lawn mower starters, Lat pull downs and rear delt flies.

Before every workout I do two miles, maybe more on the treadmill then finish up with an ab workout afterwords.

My diet consists of egg whites, salad, chicken cutlets, red meats, fruits and protein shakes (using something called EliteXT from Dymatize nutrition, low calorie count/low carb count with good taste). I start with eggs, have a shake, have some salad and or grilled chicken cutlets, another shake then dinner. The second shake usually coincides with my workout.

My question is - is there anything I should change up? I haven’t been doing this regiment for too long. Are there any things I should purchase from the T-Store that would help me develop muscle density and strength, explosiveness and endurance? Besides that being my main goal, getting the stomach and thigh fat off is my other priority.

Thanks for the time and patience,
Freedomisntfree

your goals and current routine don’t mix. Strength and explosiveness? - squats, deads, power cleans+press and snatches

i know you run a lot, and have to, but you could fit in some lower body work

Umm.

A day for bi’s, a day for tri’s… but no lower body work, really, at all? Not even basic strength movements?

Is MEPs Army or Marines?

I’m just dumbdfounded that you aren’t doing any heavy resistance training for your lower body/CNS if you want to call it that.

Based on the title, I’m guessing Marines. (Devil Dog=Marine)

Thanks for the responses already. I’m trying to lose fat and get closer to a little more then average the body weight for someone my size. I want to be able to get about 20 chin ups on my PFT so I have as much leeway with the run and sit ups as possible.

If you think (sounds like it) there is a better diet for me to maintain while working towards the goals I listed earlier, please say so. If you know a better work out regiment, I’d definitely take any suggestions. I am a quick learner and am willing to do anything that will get me to where I need to be.

Again, thanks for your time and patience.
Freedomisntfree

[quote]sexyxe wrote:
Umm.

A day for bi’s, a day for tri’s… but no lower body work, really, at all? Not even basic strength movements?

Is MEPs Army or Marines?

I’m just dumbdfounded that you aren’t doing any heavy resistance training for your lower body/CNS if you want to call it that.

[/quote]
MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station) is where ALL candidates go to get processed into the military. Regardless of branch.

…and good luck in boot freedom.

Thanks evolv. I’m hella excited, especially considering I got an 0311 contract (What I wanted). Trying to get to designated marksman school if I can, but that means I need to step up my game.

Has anyone read this and have some concrete advice, pertaining certain lifts, redundancies, tweaks, concerns, flames, etc. that could help me out? I’m open to anything. I’m a beginner compared to almost anybody on here.

EDIT If you feel inclined, completely revamping what I am doing is far more then welcome. Anyone willing to write out and or describe a routine that would better off suit me will be praised with a Marine recruit’s sweat and gains.

Google stew smith, his program is about as specific for boot camp as you get.

[quote]comus3 wrote:
Google stew smith, his program is about as specific for boot camp as you get.[/quote]

You sir, are the man.

In addition to this stuff (I could do this in the mornings) I would definitely like to continue to hit the gym. Any suggestions?

I was thinking doing a two-a-day type of schedule. PT and Bodyweight workouts in the morning, then lifting at night. 3-5 Days a week depending on how my body permits and holds up.

The US of A confuses me most of the time.

We just call it recruits. That, and we dont have 4/5 services with different schools. The States are so big it blows my mind some times.

Freedomisntfree - If you do decide to do 2 a days, make sure you are eating a shit load. Otherwise you will burn out, not straight away, maybe you might not even notice it, but 8 weeks later, when everything sucks, you will have slipped into it. I was 2-a-daying for about 8 weeks, until I just couldn’t be fucked doing anything, and thats when I realised I wasn’t up for it. I couldn’t be fagged eating, walking the 800m to the gym, working (which was adventure training at the time (wicked)), or even having sex.

Keep an eye out.

Thanks for the response sexyxe-

By a shitload are you talking upwards of 3000 calories? I’m worried about putting on weight and body fat. I’m already almost 20% and I have to maintain a certain standard for my ship out date. I definitely don’t want to burn out, I enjoy training and having sex. What happened eight weeks later? Just full body exhaustion from working too hard?

Hey Freedom I was an 0311, and I can tell you bootcamp is cake compared to SOI (School of Infantry). SOI is cooler and you do more stuff, but its by far more physically demanding than Parris Island. The hardest thing about boot is the mental games, the fact you are a “prisoner” for 13 weeks, but it will change you for the better. I honestly think all “men” should have to endure it after high-school.

My advice to you, just get REALLY good at running, pull-ups, and moving in general. Don’t worry about getting stronger or bigger. Any of Stew Smith’s stuff is very good. Look at most 03’s and you’ll see most of them look like cross country runners. Its because of the nature of training.

Also if you wanna get in to the “upper tier” of schools… In bootcamp REQUEST to get your SQ1, when you do your swim qualifications. If it is still the same as when I was in, an 0311 is only required to have SQ2, but go for the SQ1 too. This will help you when you get out of boot to go to SOI. When you go to 03 school, take advantage of the Recon Indoc and pass it.

At 200lb, you should be eating over 3000 calories anyway, especially being a recruit and doing a heap of PT.

I weigh 80kg - 175lb and I am eating 3500calories to essentially maintain, BUT this is me. We are all different. I only train once a day now, and I might put in a HIT once, maybe twice a week if PT is thrust upon me, ontop of flying, and working, and my own PT. Being in the services in general means that you will be moving a fair bit, and will need to eat in order to keep doing so.

For me, after 8 weeks, I just dropped to 3x a week for a fortnight or so, just did the basic compound lifts, nothing over straining until I wanted to get back into the gym. Until the ‘love’ came back.

[quote]Evolv wrote:
My advice to you, just get REALLY good at running, pull-ups, and moving in general. Don’t worry about getting stronger or bigger. Any of Stew Smith’s stuff is very good. Look at most 03’s and you’ll see most of them look like cross country runners. Its because of the nature of training.
[/quote]

This is solid advice. If you can lose some of the BF then do so simply because everything is easier when you’re lean. You’re not going to be spending any time in the gym in boot camp or SOI and nothing you do there is going to be based on brute strength. Then when you hit the fleet you’re going to be spending a lot of time in the field not the gym.

Best of luck,
james