Guidance for a Beginner

Like many beginners out there, I’m a skinny guy trying to build a little muscle on me. I used to do endurance running (marathons), but realized running gets pretty boring after a while so I recently switched to weights. I’ve been following a 4 day push-pull split routine for about 2 months or so and still have yet to see any significant changes in my weight or strength gains. This leads me to believe the problem may be in my diet although I’ve researched on what I need to be eating.

I currently eat around 2000 calories/day through the following
Breakfast - 8am
5 egg whites, 1 egg
3 oz turkey breast
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 cup broccoli
coffee or tea

snack 11am
4 oz canned tuna
1/4 avocado
spinach
whole wheat tortilla

lunch 130pm
4 oz chicken breast
1 cup brown rice
1 cup broccoli

snack 4pm
1 cup greek yogurt
3 tbsp flaxseeds ground
1 apple

workout 5pm

shake ~ 6pm
ON whey protein 1 scoop
1 cup milk
1 date

dinner 730pm
same as lunch (a little more meat though & maybe beans instead of rice)

snack 10pm
1/4 cup cottage cheese
1 tbsp peanut butter

Does this seem about right? It’s a 40/40/20 structure, would cutting carbs and increasing protein do anything for me?

BTW I’m around 125lb, like I said ex runner :frowning:
5’ 9’’ and 21yrs

I train pretty hard on my lifting days. 10 min dynamic warmup, 40 min lifting, 10 min cooldown and stretch. Off days are either abs, steady state cardio (20 mins), or a day of HIIT…basically I try to do at least something on these days or else I get too cramped up.

You need to increase your calories to the point that you are consistently gaining 5lbs a month. Although I don’t believe you need to be as strict with counting ratios as you are, it may help to continue counting your calories to make sure you’re getting enough.

You also need to make sure your lifts are going up in poundage in the gym with some regularity.

I started at the same height and bodyweight as you, so just to let you know, “it can be done”. lol

You say you only eat 2000 calories, if that’s true, you need to bump that up ALOT. Try 3000-4000 calories to start, and if you aren’s making gains and etc, bump it up even higher. If you have to eat somewhat unclean to get those calories that should be okay. Just make sure the majority of what you eat is quality. Don’t be afraid to add in red meat like burger and steaks. Beef has alot of protein and fats that are good for building mass.

The reason you aren’t seeing any progress is because you are at a “cutting diet low” for calories.
I will continue to be nice, some others aroung here won’t be so nice. You need to eat alot more. I probably repeated that, but that is where you’re going wrong.

So recipe for sucess is eat alot more, add in red meat if possible, keep protein high, keep fats moderate to high, keep carbs up for energy, and train you ass off.

It “leads you [sic] to believe” that it “may be” your diet? 2000 calories? C’mon man. How exactly do you expect your body to sustain more mass without eating more?

Here’s an easy way to fix your diet (Is it optimal? Probably not, but, hey.) Take what you’re eating, and throw 2 cups of milk + 2 scoops of protein with two of those meals. That’ll bump you up another 1000 calories.

And don’t follow a stupid training routine. :slight_smile:

Remember LIFT WITH A FUCKEN PURPOSE. Or else all those extra calories these guys are suggesting will just make u fat and still weak.

With that level of activity (it seems like you work everyday, with at least some cardio), you need to eat more than 2000. As soon as i started stuffing myself at every meal, my weight went up fairly quick. It’s pretty uncomfortable, and I’ve started getting a bit lazy with this myself, but its the best way to gain weight. Eat the egg yolks - good calories. Don’t worry too much about eating clean - eat the whole chicken!

If you’re struggling to up the calories, having a pack of almonds and just eating them when you work is a good way to up the calories, and its easy. They’re full of good protein, fats and fibre. Some people on here don’t like milk, but its another good way to get in some extra calories, protein and fat.

I’m 5’7" and need about 4000 calories a day to grow, and this is without extra cardio.

You need to seriously reassess how many calories you need! And don’t worry too much about eating perfectly, it’s hard to eat enough if it’s all chicken breast.

[quote]dgallagher88 wrote:
This leads me to believe the problem may be in my diet although I’ve researched on what I need to be eating.[/quote]
Like the others have said, the problem is your diet. You’re eating like a pre-contest bodybuilder, not a 125-pound guy trying to gain size.

I know you said you’ve “researched” what you need to eat, but you need to actually implement what you’ve read about. I hesitate giving you even more to read, but check out The Cure for Skinny:

And The Anti-Skinny Fat Manifesto:

Those should give you a much better idea of how you need… and I mean n-e-e-d… to be eating.

First, make sure most of your work sets are in the 5-8 rep range. That’ll force you to use genuinely heavy weights on a regular basis.

What exactly do your workouts look like (exercises, sets, and reps)?

Secondly, unless you’re racked with injuries, you don’t need a 10-minute cooldown. I’m sure you could chop that at least in half.

Lastly, dude, cardio on your off days? Stop.

If you have to do something to keep from getting “too cramped up”, go through your dynamic warm-up, or some other basic mobility stuff, on your off days. Extra cardio is to you like birth control is to a fugly chick. Unnecessary.

You look like christian bale in that movie. You look extremely sick. Erase your memory of everything you THINK you know. Start over and EAT

^

http://img.listal.com/image/402676/600full-the-machinist-photo.jpg

Look at this picture before meals.

2000 a day is not nearly enough.

I would lose the steady state and HIIT.

OP this is a really sad photo…

As already stated 2000cals aren’t nearly enough… on that diet, chances are you’ve probably been losing weight since you began weight lifting.

Eat eat, and i’m not talking about chicken breast either… i’m talking about cake and donuts. You are trying to eat waayyy too clean right now.

Throw that tuna in the trash, it’s only taking up space in your stomach… Replace it with poptarts.

Eat the whole damn egg not just the egg whites !

Drop all the cardio ASAP !

Also i hope you’re sticking with machines and body weight exercises because your arms look way to frail for free weights.

Someone mentioned almonds as a snack for this guy…

Srsly? This guy don’t need almonds.

Ok

Step 1: eat more, got it understood…I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised by the original responses. Should I look into supplements like Surge, creatine or fish oils at all at this point or just stick to mass quantities of food at first.

Step 2: As far as training, I was thinking of following Christian Thibaudeau’s guide for size. Lifting on Mon, Tues, Thurs, and Fri. Weds will be completely off and any cardio type work on the weekends will be limited or strength based. I’ll make sure to stick with it for at least 8-10 weeks along with a better diet for gaining muscle to see how the results are.

Thanks for not bashing me too much, I guess I needed the reality check though

NO CARDIO

YOU LOOK EMACIATED. AIDS PATIENT. POW SURVIVOR.

Lift 5 days a week. And count your calories to make sure you get 3k per day.

Supplements have their place, as icing on top of an appropriate diet.

Eat everything in sight. Preferably calorie dense foods.

There are no magic pills

Step 1: eat more, got it understood…I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised by the original responses. Should I look into supplements like Surge, creatine or fish oils at all at this point or just stick to mass quantities of food at first.[/quote]
Mass quantities of food, plus a shake like Surge Recovery before and during training. Anything else, at this point, will be a distraction.

I’m still not clear on how you’re training. What exactly did you do in your most recent workout?

And what “guide to size” are you referring to?

What do you mean be “strength based” cardio? Like barbell complexes or something? That’s still a high-intensity fat burning stimulus… which you don’t need.

And why in the sweet name of Jessica Biel’s deltoids are you so stuck on doing cardio? In your condition, cardio is entirely counterproductive to your goals.

Make that at least 12-16 weeks, and I’d be a happier guy.

[quote]angus_beef wrote:
Also i hope you’re sticking with machines and body weight exercises because your arms look way to frail for free weights.[/quote]
I know that you know what you’re doing, but man, I really can’t wrap my head around this advice. He’s too skinny to be lifting free weights? That’s a new one to me.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

Step 1: eat more, got it understood…I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised by the original responses. Should I look into supplements like Surge, creatine or fish oils at all at this point or just stick to mass quantities of food at first.[/quote]
Mass quantities of food, plus a shake like Surge Recovery before and during training. Anything else, at this point, will be a distraction.

I’m still not clear on how you’re training. What exactly did you do in your most recent workout?

And what “guide to size” are you referring to?

What do you mean be “strength based” cardio? Like barbell complexes or something? That’s still a high-intensity fat burning stimulus… which you don’t need.

And why in the sweet name of Jessica Biel’s deltoids are you so stuck on doing cardio? In your condition, cardio is entirely counterproductive to your goals.

Make that at least 12-16 weeks, and I’d be a happier guy.

[quote]angus_beef wrote:
Also i hope you’re sticking with machines and body weight exercises because your arms look way to frail for free weights.[/quote]
I know that you know what you’re doing, but man, I really can’t wrap my head around this advice. He’s too skinny to be lifting free weights? That’s a new one to me.[/quote]

Angus beef is a troll. A decent one at that.

[quote]angus_beef wrote:
I know that you know what you’re doing, but man, I really can’t wrap my head around this advice. He’s too skinny to be lifting free weights? That’s a new one to me.[/quote]

lol… that was just a smart ass comment… When looking at the pic his arms seemed the most disturbing to me so i was poking some fun.

Strong words there BONEZ… i guess whenever someone goes against the “system” they are considered a troll.

[quote]angus_beef wrote:

[quote]angus_beef wrote:

lol… that was just a smart ass comment… When looking at the pic his arms seemed the most disturbing to me so i was poking some fun.

Strong words there BONEZ… i guess whenever someone goes against the “system” they are considered a troll.
[/quote]

Have you read wrong own post history in this forum and the BB? rhetorical question