Gugnir Training Log

I have been weight training since high-school. Last year I banged my self up pretty bad. Lower back(L5-S1), shoulder and a nasty case of IT band and Patellofemoral syndrome. Since then I have been rehabilitating my broken body and slowly gotten back into training but I still have some issues here and there. I lurk on these forum’s all the time so I figured it was about time I start a training journal here as well.

11/29/10 Monday Upper
Warmup
Foam Rolling and Stretching
BW squats x1x20-Lateral Band walks x1x25 yards-KB swings 20x1x8
Int/Ext Rotations 10x1x15
YTL’s 2.5x1x30
90 degree rotations 2.5x1x15
Training
Flat Bench Press 45x10 95x10 135x10 155x8 185x5 225x5 x5 x5 I did these fourth in my workout I was surprised I got the reps today
1 Arm Cable Row 45x3x12
V-Bar Pull downs 180x3x8
Push ups x2x30+
Lying DB Extensions 35x3x10
Pull A part’s mini band x3x20
20Min Treadmill

Ice Hip and Knee 15 min x2

I cannot wait until Wen for PT I want to figure out what is going on in my right hip/glute. My best bet is the internal external rotators of the hip got all bunched up and spassed out I also believe I may have built up a lot of Scar tissue there as well.

11/30/10 Tuesday

45 min walks x2
Foam Rolling,Stretching, and Mobility

Aside from “fixing” your body and building strength, what are your goals? Height/weight? I like the log man.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Aside from “fixing” your body and building strength, what are your goals? Height/weight? I like the log man. [/quote]

Thanks,right now I am 5’ 10" and a measly 165, but with a very low body fat. After all my injuries its been tough to eat to gain again, more of a mental issue. Other then Fixing up my body I want to concentrate on getting back the 365 bench I had before my injuries last year. Eventually I would like to do a meet bench only of course and start to compete. First I have to finish this semester of school though.

12/1/10 Wen PT
10 min Treadmill 4.5 speed 5 incline
Squats w/15 Ib body bar x30
Band Walks x3
1 Leg Bridges x3x10
1 Arm KB Swings 30x2x12
4 Way Standing Hip -extension/flexion/abduction/adduction x2x15
TRX 1 leg squats 2x15
Slide Board adduction x2x10
Plank Variations w/ slide board and TRX x4

45 min walk outside-brisk pace

Decent session it felt like a work out so that’s always a good sign. I will just have to wait and see how I feel tomorrow. One a bad note the pt didn’t really address my hip issue. I will have my Chiro check it out next week and ART that sucker.

12/2/10 Thur-Active Rest
1 hr walk
glute bridges x2
4 Way Standing Hip -extension/flexion/abduction/adduction light tubing x2x15
Lax Ball/PVC pipe-Stretching and Mobility work
Another day

12/3/10 Friday Upper Accessory
Warmup
Foam rolling/lax ball/stretching/mobility drills
BW Squats and Lunges x10
Lateral Band walks x2x25 yards
4 Way Standing Hip -extension/flexion/abduction/adduction light tubingx2x15
Int/Ext rot x1x15
YTL’s 2.5x1x30
Lying 90 degree rot 2.5x1x15

Training
KB bottoms up carry 30x2x50 Yards 200 Yards total
Close Grip Bench Press 45x10 95x10 135x10 155x8 215x5 x5 x5 Easy
Inverse Rows feet elevated on bench bwx3x20+
Neutral Grip Pull downs 160x3x10
BB Curls 65x3x10
Mini band Pull Aparts x3x20
Mini Band push downs 1x50
20Min Treadmill

More foam rolling and Stretching

Ice Hip and Knee.

[quote]Gugnir wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Aside from “fixing” your body and building strength, what are your goals? Height/weight? I like the log man. [/quote]

Thanks,right now I am 5’ 10" and a measly 165, but with a very low body fat. After all my injuries its been tough to eat to gain again, more of a mental issue. Other then Fixing up my body I want to concentrate on getting back the 365 bench I had before my injuries last year. Eventually I would like to do a meet bench only of course and start to compete. First I have to finish this semester of school though.[/quote]

What were you weighing when you hit 365? 225x5 at 165 is pretty strong man. What’s your grip distance?

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]Gugnir wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

Thanks,right now I am 5’ 10" and a measly 165, but with a very low body fat. After all my injuries its been tough to eat to gain again, more of a mental issue. Other then Fixing up my body I want to concentrate on getting back the 365 bench I had before my injuries last year. Eventually I would like to do a meet bench only of course and start to compete. First I have to finish this semester of school though.[/quote]

What were you weighing when you hit 365? 225x5 at 165 is pretty strong man. What’s your grip distance?[/quote]

Thanks I was hovering around the lows 190’s. I use a medium width grip when I bench. I rarely go wide becuase of my shoulder and straining my right pec twice in 09. When I do, it will be on a high rep set usually at the end of a training cycle trying to hit a PR.

12/4/10
AM Morning Cardio
BW Squats and Lunges 1x10
Hip Rotations 10x2x10
Cook Hip Lift x2x10
Cross Trainer and Treadmill 30 min

Ice Hip and Knee

PM Core and Mobility work
Cable Chops/Lifts/Pallof Presses x4
Stir the Pots x3

I think the IT band stretch my pt gave me is irritating my lower back, the only movement that reproduces my pain is a lateral shifting of the spine. I may dump pt altogether because I am not doing anything I was not doing already. Which would be strengthening the glute medius and minimus along with a stretching of my hip flexors, it band, tfl, glutes, and int/ext rot of the hip. At a bit of lost right now to be honest. Good news is I did a number of provocative tests on my back and got no pain from them. It looks as I will have to dump what is not working and take it a bit easier tomorrow and then hit on Mon with fingers crossed.

12/5/10 AM Cardio
Foam Roller etc
Treadmill/Cross Trainer/ Bike 30 min
Stretching

Felt much better then yesterday. I knew it was those stretches and some of the “corrective exercises” from PT. Two bad days in a row means I deload, one or two bad days a week is normal so then it is just a matter of telling my anxiety to bug off. On Wen I will set up a time to see the sports ortho for my knee and hip. i could rant on for paragraph after paragraph about how much pt’s piss me off.

Warmup
BW squats x1x20-Lateral Band walks x1x25 yards-KB swings 20x1x6
Int/Ext Rotations 10x1x15
YTL’s 2.5x1x30
90 degree rotations 2.5x1x15
Training
Flat Bench Press 45x10 95x10 135x10 155x8 185x5 250x3x3x3 No Lift off, with a nice pause. :slight_smile:
1 Arm Cable Row 45x3x15
V-Bar Pull downs 160x12 170x12 x12
Push ups x2x30+
Lying DB extension 35x3x12
Pull A part’s mini band x3x20
15Min Bike 5 miles light intervals

Pain free workout, I actually felt better then Friday and last Monday.

4 mile trudge in the snow, god I love the snow and cold. But not driving in it

This will be my last real training session for 2 weeks. I feel beat up and need to take time off. Especially with my hip and glute bugging me now.

[quote]Gugnir wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]Gugnir wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

What were you weighing when you hit 365? 225x5 at 165 is pretty strong man. What’s your grip distance?[/quote]

Thanks I was hovering around the lows 190’s. I use a medium width grip when I bench. I rarely go wide becuase of my shoulder and straining my right pec twice in 09. When I do, it will be on a high rep set usually at the end of a training cycle trying to hit a PR.
[/quote]

I feel you on the shoulder strain. My grip is never wider than the crease of my thumb where the smooth meets the knurling on the bar due to a partially torn rotater when I was younger. A double bw bench is strong man. That’s impressive.

Thanks, Its been one hell of a trip getting back into training after all the injuries. I am always on guard for some old injury popping up. But tis the nature of the game I suppose.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]Gugnir wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]Gugnir wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[/quote]

I feel you on the shoulder strain. My grip is never wider than the crease of my thumb where the smooth meets the knurling on the bar due to a partially torn rotater when I was younger. A double bw bench is strong man. That’s impressive.[/quote]

Thanks wide benching is a thing of the past for me as well. My right shoulder and pec just will not allow it along with DB’s. But push ups and KB’s seem to work alright on it.

12/7/10 Tuesday
Both my back and hip are feeling better then the weekend.
40 min trudge in the snow
mobility
self soft tissue work
stretching
glute activation

12/8/10 Wen Core and Rehab
Warmup
BW Squats/Lunges x20
Cook Hip Lift x2x10
1 Arm KB swings 30x3x12
KB waiters walk 30x2x50 yards=200 Yards
Cable Press and Chop-Split stance x3
Rotary Control Drills x3
Low box step-ups x2-knee rehab
Bike and Treadmill 15 min moderate intervals

I have been feeling much better since laying of the pt stretches and exercises. I will still take a 2 week deload.

Warmup
BW Squats/Lunges x20
Cook Hip Lift x2x10
1 Arm KB swings 30x3x12
Rotary Control Drills x3

I have been feeling much better since laying of the pt stretches and exercises. I will still take a 2 week deload.

Warmup
BW Squats/Lunges x20
Cook Hip Lift x2x10
1 Arm KB swings 30x3x12
Rotary Control Drills x3

Warmup
BW Squats/Lunges x30
Cook Hip Lift x2x10
1 Arm KB swings 30x3x12
Cable Press and Chop-Split stance x3x15
Stir the Pots x4x20
Tread Mill 20 min