Guarding Your Food at University.

My sis and her roomie keep an extra mini fridge in one of their closets in their dorm room, in which their (outlawed) alcohol is stored. They have locks on their closet doors though, and safety inspections are usually not very “surprise”- they usually get a heads up rumor floating around the day before.

Electrical outlets have to be in or close to the closet as well for that to work. You know your setup- get inventive. :smiley:

Honestly I really wouldn’t worry, your in college, long as its frozen (like someone said above, defrosting is a bitch) and your honest with everyone about not eating your stuff…

No one is gona care, cooking takes time, eating out or at a bar is cheap…

By the end of the semester i could see it being a pain as everyone’s meal card runs out, but really, i wouldn’t worry…

Just don’t be a douche and not do the dishes when your done. Cause if your roomies are like I was in undergrad the dirty pots will end up in your bed…

Just a fair warning…

semi humorous story …maybe not

I took my daughter back to school last weekend . took her shopping , and she bought packs of little colored stickers to “ID” her food .

while un-packing her food and applying stickers , a roomie comes in and asks about the stickers . daughter explains what she’s doing , and roomie replies…

“shiit , you’re the only one who HAS food”

I popped a nut

Don’t make a fuss about the food thing when you first get there. If you show them that it is a big deal to you, it is way more likely to get fucked with.

I used to share a fridge…I did have stuff go missing-the number one priority at first is to watch your shit carefully (count it,measure it,weigh it,whatever) and know exactly what you have left.

If you’re going to bring it up,you want to be 100% sure food is missing.

At first,I thought I was paranoid,but then I started paying attention (i.e. weighing my OJ carton,marking the level on my milk bottle with a marker pen) once I was sure,I brought it up and explained I don’t people using some food if they are hungry and they ask or let me know and don’t take the piss,but if it goes missing and people try to bullshit me,I will be upset.

It happened a couple more times,and I went ballistic. (I found good time to bring this up is when you are preparing a meal/sandwich and have a 10 inch chef’s knife in your hand.People really pay attention,especially if you make a few jerky movements while using it as a pointer)

No food went missing after that.

You need to establish early on that this shit isn’t gonna fly,if you give them an inch,they’ll take a mile.

It’ll start with a slice of cheese,then it’ll be a chicken breast here,a tomato there,a couple of eggs there,a glass of OJ…etc
They’ll think you’re either not sharp enough to notice or a pushover who won’t say anything.

A tactic I know someone used to use was to invest in a couple of bottles of green food colouring-a splash in your milk,a splash in your meat,a little in your yoghurt,a rub on your cheese,puts off curious roomies.

Apple or grape juice always lasts well in a large glass vial with a label marked ‘urine sample for analysis-do not drink’ making up a mild medical condition to go along with this is good so as not to arouse suspicion.

(Or tell them you believe in drinking your own urine!)

Another good tactic is to find out what foods they hate or are allergic to.

where possible,mix or store them together!
Have a roomie who will eat your chicken but hates onions? make up some chicken chilli,or just store sliced onions with them in a tupperware box!

He hates anchovies? make a salad and mix them in and store!