Guarding Your Food at University.

Soon to be starting University and I am in the habit of following a fairly strict nutritional regieme. I will be sharing a kitchen with anything from 6-9 students.

Now keeping protein shakes, nuts and other dried goodies in my room will be easy as hell. But what about my frozen/chilled foods? I strongly suspect that the fridge and freezer will not be divided up into seperate compartments (freezer maybe…).

Last thing I plan on doing is whipping up a low carb, high protein cheesecake or some yummy meat dish… leaving it in the fridge and then coming back to see a slice missing. Or some jerk using up my ground beef…

Some advice would be much appreciated!

Spike some food with laxatives for the first 2 weeks - people will learn not to eat anyone elses food very quickly.

Sensible ideas? :smiley:

[quote]benmoore wrote:
Sensible ideas? :D[/quote]

I’m serious. What, you don’t think people will stay away from others’ food by doing this? It’s not like you’re putting anyone in hospital.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
Spike some food with laxatives for the first 2 weeks - people will learn not to eat anyone elses food very quickly.[/quote]

the best idea ive heard all day

i had this worry when i started last yr…

keep fresh meats etc frozen if possible, that way if anyone is gonna use them they’ve got to defrost them first…doesn’t sound like much but you’d be suprised how lazy most people are!

Keep a tight eye on your supplies in general, if you notice stuff going down then go nuts… some chinese dude ate some of my chicken, oh boy i went nuts, i got twice as much back of him!

To be honest though, explain to your housemates what you’re doing, and most will respect your food, get your own shelf in the fridge if possible…
Lastly, just don’t be a jerk, if you piss your housemates off then they’re gonna try get you back lol…

If you’re really that worried though, get yourself one of them mini-fridges for your room!

Put a lock on your refrigerator.

If you still have problems, remove the lock and put a fake decapitated head from a Halloween store in your refrigerator.

[quote]Flow wrote:

If you still have problems, remove the lock and put a fake decapitated head from a Halloween store in your refrigerator.

[/quote]

Its a shared refridgerator lol.

Also we are not allowed our own mini fridges :frowning:

[quote]benmoore wrote:
Flow wrote:

Its a shared refridgerator lol.

Also we are not allowed our own mini fridges :([/quote]

You’re also not allowed to do drugs or drink underage at college.

Just somethin to think about =)

[quote]MeinHerzBrennt wrote:

You’re also not allowed to do drugs or drink underage at college.

Just somethin to think about =)[/quote]

or have your own A/C box, usually. didn’t stop me/the roomie in college.

I’ve always been a fan of the M18A1. Just be sure to heed the advice stamped on the case. “Front Toward Enemy”.

Rick

It’s called “touch my shit and you owe me money” Doesn’t anyone room with their friends anymore?

Hmmm I think freezing fucking everything is the only way this is going to work… and burying any ready made meals under packs of frozen veg haha! For my first couple of weeks there I will live out of my room as much as possible and make up something huge like a chilli:

Meal 1: tuna, Olive oil, brocolli
Meal 2: protein shake, mixed nuts
Meal 3: chilli, brocolli
Meal 4: protein shake, mixed nuts
Meal 5: chilli, brocolli
Meal 6: potein shake, mixed nuts

And about 10-30g fish oil spread over the day.

Not ideal but simple, cheap as chips and will provide me with a nice base to work from.

Tell them not to eat your shit and/or have your own section of the frig.

If they are stealing your food they are stealing your money and you don’t want them as roommates.

Okay, so the first step would be to not assume everyone you’re living with is going to be an asshole. There will probably be a few.

Call a meeting of everyone that’s using the kitchen when you first move in. Ask how you’re going to handle food. Pick a system that everyone can agree on (not everyone shopping together, that’s stupid) and stick to it.

I recommend just keeping a few sharpies in the kitchen. Have everyone write their name on their shit.

Sorry to ruin the fun?

Of course, if people do start stealing your food, I would say it’s A OK to begin screwing with them. Just do things that start to drive people insane. and RSGZ’s laxative idea is solid too. If you tape the person who stole your food to the wall one night after they’ve been drinking, they probably won’t fuck with you anymore.

If someone steals from you, bitch until they let you have your own mini fridge.

They shouldn’t put you in a position where your going to be stolen from.

You must get your own mini fridge with a lock. They might think you’re weird but it beats looking weird in jail after beating them up for stealing your food.

A friend just sent me a link on youtube which made me think exactly of this thread.

Why exactly don’t they allow you to have a fridge? Electricity consumption?

[quote]lixy wrote:
Why exactly don’t they allow you to have a fridge? Electricity consumption?

[/quote]

No idea… but no heaters/hotplates/grills/kettles/etc. either.

But we are allowed as much audio/computer equipment as we want as long as power consumption is sub 500 watts lol.